How do i fix a non-opening boot?

Hi Darren

You'll find a white plastic part has snapped off the back of the boot lock, i fabricated my own but it took a lot of work. Best bet is to find a scrapper and 'borrow' this part of the lock.

I guess you'd need to remove the rear seats, and crawl in the back and remove the trim on the tailgate, peel back the plastic membrane and mess with the lock mechanism till it pops up.

You will need to follow Anewman's advice and go through the tailgate itself. Once its open its a fairly easy fix for the lever as its only cable driven.

Depending on which part is broken you may need to get a new lock piece for your boot, really depends what is actually wrong with it.

Here is a pic of the plastic part that has probably snapped on the back of your boot lock.

As has happened with this one, the lug has broken off (see jagged part at bottom of photo). When this happens the key just spins in the lock.

19218.attach

some times, if i haven't opened the boot for a week or so, the boot sticks shut and you really have to give it some force to open it. just try pulling up on the boot really hard befor you go pulling stuff off.

let us know how it goes.

Very true - same with the doors especially if the seals were wet when they were shut!

one quick tip about the boot lock, that bit in the picture seems to break on a few felly's if you are down the scrappy and see a mk2 golf, they have the same part in the boot except its metal not plastic, its almost a direct fit needs a quick file down on the extended part but apart from that its much better

well chaps pulled the lever about 1,000,000 times and then janked the boot and talley hoe its opening and shutting! yay! cheers guys

Does the key now work or is that still inoperable ?