sdi gearbox

Hi all, I've a 2002 Skoda Octavia SDi classic and i'm on my third gearbox. I've been told an octavia tdi gearbox will fit with just the gear ratio's being different? Apparently the tdi is the better box? Apart from the gearbox the cars really good. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Hi

I may be wrong as I'm new to Skodas (don't even have one yet!)

But i thought that the SDI use the rod change gearbox with cable clutch (020)and the TDI's use the cable change gearbox with hydraulic clutch (02A - I think!)

If so the change can be done but it will be an awful lot of work linkages, master cylinder, whole different type of clutch, speedo drive? (Driveshafts may also be different)

I've owned numerous golfs over the years with the rod change type box and have not had a single problem, yet yours isn't the first problem i've heard of from this type of transmission.

What mileage have the boxes failed at?

Were the replacements secondhand?

Thanks for the advice. decided to get it reconditioned. apparently its a common fault? something to do with a plastic channel/pipe? that feeds oil to the fifth gear that fails causing fifth gear to break? Thanks again

my last box was a reconditioned unit and had done roughly 50k, cost about £750 with a 3 month guarantee

goes in garage on Monday, to recondition it its going to cost between £600 and £700 for unlimited mileage/12 months guarantee.

i havnt had much luck with boxs either, my mk4 golf 1.6 blew the differntial in the gearbox, had a recon fitted and then that blew a driveshaft seal. On my TDI octy the reverse idlier is on its way out, makes a very bad wineing sound when you let of the throttle in reverse gear, so im pressuming its the reverse idlier worn on one side where it changes direction when you release throttle, not good :(