Faulty brake switch (16955)

Did a scan for error codes last night to see if the old 17705 had gone away after changing a pipe (it hadn't!), but also picked up a new code - 16955 Brake Switch (F): Implausable Signal: P0571.

I immediately did a search on here, and discovered that my brake light switch on the pedal might be playing up. The lights are working fine though, which is odd. I think it may be due to the switch being operated beyond it's normal conditions and picking up some dirt. As I got the ABS working a few times on the Nurburgring last week, which made the pedal drop lower than normal. I also changed the pads, and pumped the pedal to the floor when i pushed the pistons back out. So I recon I might have injured the switch doing this. Anyway, I've deleted the code and will see if it's back in a week.

Anyone know what the part number is for the new switch? ('02 vRS hatch)

And roughly how much one will cost from Skoda?

Looks like an easy job, so if it's cheap i'll just change it anyway to be on the safe side.

Just fitted the new part, which was green rather than the original black one, plus alot bigger than the original.

Old part number was 1J0 945 511C.

Possibly the easiest job ever. All it takes is removing 2 torx screws to lift out the under dash panel, then your right in there. Connector comes off easily by squeezing the side tabs, and the switch just turns and pulls out.

Found a panel of relays in there aswell. Good to know! Never realised there was a switch/position sensor on the clutch pedal aswell.

Here's a photo of the offending old switch on the pedal (the black thingy in the middle of the photo!):

p1000944wz1.jpg

• 10 months later...

The panel covering the tops of the pedals should just slide out after removing the 2 screws (towards the drivers seat), as it slots into 2 horizontal locating clips.

I do remember a little tang of plastic on the panel that holds the front of the panel up (too stop it drooping over time i suspect), but you can release this just by pushing the panel back into the dash a bit and pulling it down. Give it a wiggle! Or a yank! It should come out easily.

Unless your talking about a different panel?!