an annoying little 'feature' on the octavia...

gunnie

I'm guessing that this is a problem for all octavias, not just the RS, but has anyone else noticed that when it is raining, or has been raining, and you open the boot that all the water runs off the edge of the boot hatch inside the boot compartment, and mainly inside the rear speakers....

obviously means that everything gets wetter than it should before I even take it out of the boot

has anyone got any ideas how to get round this, i.e. sticking a piece of trim down the side of the rear screen, but without it looking like a bodge!

is it something that skoda are aware of? I've got to go to a dealer about some other bits and pieces I'll mention it then

at least that means that once I have stopped the water running inside I might have to upgrade the rear speakers as they are now waterlogged - any excuse!

I actually think its worse on the vRS.

Due to the water collecting on the rear spoiler and then spilling onto the boot and down the bottom gulley of the rear windscreen.

I know its annoyed me a few times................ still the factory fitted rear speakers were never that good :wink:

I too want a remedy in this crap weather....... im thinking maybe a channel on the inside lip of the rear screen to channel it toward the hinges at the top of the screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep this is a real pain. As Matt says, open it slooooly or like me keep a sponge or absorbent cloth just handy near the boot edge to wipe up the incoming rain. :soapbox:

It's definitely not ideal!! :x

Or the alternative is to get your RS onto a plane and move to California (no rain, nice looking chicks)mmmmmmmm.................. :driving:

Site Admin

Do we need to turn this into a FAQ for RS owners? The question could be: How do I keep my Tesco shopping dry when I unload at home in the rain?

Just noticed that Site Admin ignored my facetious comment about turning this problem into a FAQ.

Having been out in the pouring rain today in my other Skoda (to keep the 4x4 clean and dry for posing in), I have found a solution for RS owners plagued by water getting into the boot when they open it in the rain - buy a Felicia! Apart from having spare cash to put in the bank, there are some other real benefits:

The dark carpets won't show stains, so no need to buy plastic sheet/Vanish or whatever.

No need to buy an alarm because no-one will steal your car.

No need to worry about coil pack failure or having error codes cleared.

The front speakers are better than the Octavia's.

No need to worry about which chip to fit - none will.

No need to spend all your time looking at other cars to see if you can spot an RS. Instead you will need to concentrate on making sure your friends don't see what you are driving.

The second rear foglight is already wired up!

The existing headlight bulbs are more than adequate for the car's performance.

The Milltek exhaust won't fit - so can't rattle, vibrate and fall off.

Any old tyres will do. But offset by the fact that an upgrade from 13" steel to 14" alloy wheels is highly desirable for street cred.

Any old oil will do.

Insurers you used to insure with will welcome you back with open arms.

You won't need a radar detector except as a status symbol on the dash.

Other drivers expect you to drive slowly and badly, and will be pleasantly surprised when you do the opposite.

I could go on and on - but its time to walk the dog. :D

• 1 month later...

Just a thought....my previous car, a Granada Scorpio, had vanes fitted along each edge of the rear window glass to direct water to the drainage channels when the hatch was opened.

Hence I never experienced any problem with water ingress.

Next time you see a Granada, take a look.

It might be a good idea to see if these vanes will fit the rear glass on an Octavia. Can't remember how they were fastened, and don't know if they are available as a separate part, but may be worth enquiring. :idea: :)

Do we need to turn this into a FAQ for RS owners? The question could be: How do I keep my Tesco shopping dry when I unload at home in the rain?[/quote:71be172342]
Just noticed that Site Admin ignored my facetious comment about turning this problem into a FAQ. [/quote:71be172342]

Maybe they shop at Sainsburys instead? ;)

Opening the boot quickly might also work, as I noticed that when the boot is fully open, the water tends to run down the side of the car behind the back doors, as opposed to into the gully where the tailgate closes.

Maybe Skoda could seize this marketing opportunity and market a tarpaulin that fastens to the same anchors as the cargo net :D

• 7 years later...

I'm guessing that this is a problem for all octavias, not just the RS, but has anyone else noticed that when it is raining, or has been raining, and you open the boot that all the water runs off the edge of the boot hatch inside the boot compartment, and mainly inside the rear speakers....

obviously means that everything gets wetter than it should before I even take it out of the boot

has anyone got any ideas how to get round this, i.e. sticking a piece of trim down the side of the rear screen, but without it looking like a bodge!

is it something that skoda are aware of? I've got to go to a dealer about some other bits and pieces I'll mention it then

at least that means that once I have stopped the water running inside I might have to upgrade the rear speakers as they are now waterlogged - any excuse!

I have the same problem with water running in at either side of the (saloon) tailgate on my '09 Octavia, which changes sides depending on the gradient of the ground. The long length of the rear window and tailgate (downside of a good boot area) suggests to me that there is a lot of rain water run-off to start which makes the problem worse. This relatively minor issue in the grand scheme of things, does get very annoying over time, so I have experimented further and have found that when the tailgate is opened at normal speed with the rear wiper in the standard horizontal postion, it prevents the natural downward flow of the water from the end of the tailgate to the car, and concentrates and forces it towards sides of the tailgate, at a faster speed rather than the water running towards the hinges of the tailgate. I then tried lifting the rear wiper off the glass when raising the tailgate and yes it almost entirely stops the drips. The only downside to moving the wiper off the screen is that its easy to forget and if one closes the tailgate with it raised the wiper bangs onto the rear glass.

The fellow comment on Ford Granada's having strips at the edges to force the water run-off towards the car is a good idea, and I am all for using well thought out logic for coping with the environment. Please note Skoda as the car overall excels in most other areas and this is a silly design mistake which could be easily changed.

Edited by IRWSH

• 3 weeks later...

Try running a bead of silicon sealant in the tailgate channel

I used black tiger seal.

This does not stop the water running down the tailgate, but instead of running into the channel it just runs off the tailgate and away from the boot.

I found this to work reasonably well.