Is it just me?

llblake

Or are there others who find the front seats in the RS uncomfortable? After my long daily drive to and from work I get out of my RS and my back is killing me. I find that there is no lumber support and the sides of the seats are pretty poor at holding you in.

Does anyone know where I get a lumber support that can be added to the RS seats before I ending up looking like the Hunch back of Notre Dame? Or have to end up replacing the driver

I agree with the side support; a car with sporting aspirations should have better side bolsters. Lumbar is ok for me though.

But I suppose they are standard Golf GTI fair (economies of scale and all that) so how else would VW charge extra for Recaros.

Been looking at the AmD site to see if they're selling any second hand leather trimmed Recaros. If they're from a Golf they should fit as the runner would be the same (I imagine as they're all the same chassis affectively).

Cheers.

Adrian.

I been looking at the following seats:

1: Recaros Speed: http://www.recarodirect.co.uk/list.asp?ListMake=1155&listmodel=9749

2: Cobra Daytona: http://www.cobraseats.com/item.asp?pg=RD&id=DAY&opt=BKBK1

3: Corbeau Targa:http://www.corbeau-seats.co.uk/road.php?cat=1

Now some may think replacing the standard RS seats is a bit over the top? But I don't think so especially if the result not having the correct lumber support leads me to have a back problem.

Later

LLB

No problem here - however it probably depends on how you drive, how you sit and your shape & size. I was brought up driving Alfas so sit ridiculously close to the steering wheel with my legs squashed up in the "Italian driving style" - its purely from habit but it does mean you are held pretty firmly in the seat. :thumbup: I have always had problems with my back but, strangely given your experience, I have found the RS seats perfectly comfortable re: lumbar support. :confused:

I find (and I don't know how much of the frame is shared between our seats) that with the lumbar support adjusted all the way "in" to the seat, it makes it slightly deeper where it matters, then adjust the seat back angle slightly more back, this means the base of my spin is between the hard bolsters. It does put the head rest further from your head tho, so I brought that higher then tilted it forward.

I find the sides quite hard though that may be as I can feel (not having a dig! :)) the side airbag "cases" in the sides.

I feel it's important (especially for passengers) to be forward enough to "brace" between the angled part of the footrest and the base of my back.

That's what works for me anyway. (and I do nearly 30k a year in it)

Couldn't agree with you more Lloyd; you have to be comfortable. I find the head rests aren't that great either. I got whip-lash in my neck from an accident in March last year and the head rests don't come forward enough for me. It's a real pain in the neck(:rolleyes: ) literially.

Checked out the Recaro site; hey! They got seats to match Des' red calipers.:p

Cheers.

Adrian.

I am over six feet and I tend to have the seat pretty close to the steering wheel. I tend to have the seat slanted back, I find if I have the seat too upright it gets uncomfortable. I have tried the seat in various postions but I can't find a sweet spot yet.

A bit more investigation is required before I go out a spend my cash...

Later

LLB

Just checked the owners manual and there is a lumber support adjustment option. I don't remember seeing this knob on the RS seats can someone please tell me if there is such an option? I would check myself but my RS is away having some work done to it (more on that at a later date).

Thanks

LLB

Do any of the replacement seats available come with height adjustment, etc?

I have my seat at the lowest setting, furthest away from the wheel, whereas my GF jacks the seat to its highest setting, and slides it as close to the wheel as she can get...

I always find I want my legs straighter but my arms shorter. If cars were made where you could extend the steering wheel out and down so it was in your lap with your legs at full stretch I'd be happy. I'm only 5ft 9in but I've always had to compromise. Also the seats are invariably made so that even if you have comfortable lumbar support there's always a hollow in your back just above the lumbar region because they assume you're only 5ft 6in. If I extend the steering wheel to its fullest extent on reach in my Octy it's about 3 inches too high. I want it close but low. I always have the seat at its lowest position. My 928 almost manages the perfect seating position but the clutch foot rest is just that maddeningly 1/2 inch too close so eventually you get an ache in the thigh from having the leg just that slightly bit flexed for hours on end.

Anyone found the perfect seating position in any of their cars yet?

• Like 1

Originally posted by mannyo in this post

Nick,

The RS at least has steering thats fully adjustable, both up and down + reach. dont know about the SLX Though

Manny,

SLX Octavia models have adjustable steering, and the same adjustments on the seats, including lumbar adj. The SLX was the previous top trim level excl L&K.

Originally posted by ncarring in this post

Anyone found the perfect seating position in any of their cars yet?

I find the Octavia seats really really comfortable the way I have

it set up - previous Astra always hurt after a couple of hours,

and for some reason made my back sweat loads (eww).

That said, I do sit quite upright and people have commented

on this before. I find that if I unhook the seat slider, push

the clutch pedal to the floor and then straighten my leg, I get

a good idea of how far back the seat should be. Then I adjust

the angle of the back so that it's fully supportive when I have

my wrist resting on the top of the steering wheel.

Then, just twiddle the lumbar support to the first point at

which it's not digging uncomfortably into my back :D

I have the seat at the lowest setting as otherwise the rear

view mirror creates a blind spot when I look left and right.

Rob. (I lead a fascinating life, I do :rolleyes: )

Thanks guys got my RS back after having some work done on it and I have found the lumber support knob. Everything is fine now, panic over no need for me to replace my RS seats. Well apart from having both the fronts replace under warranty because of the stitching coming away on the drivers seat and the passenger seats creeks.

Later

LLB

Originally posted by mannyo in this post

Nick,

The RS at least has steering thats fully adjustable, both up and down + reach. dont know about the SLX Though

The SLX does too, but because of the angle of the steering column, no matter how much you push down, at the lowest point it's still going UP when you pull it towards you. At its closest, it's too high (for me).

The Recaro equipped 2.8i Capris were always super comfortable for me , especially the full leather trimmed 280 , with the seat right back. (tho that left no room at all for anyone to sit behind me!) Honestly if there was a recaro option on the vRS and it was around