Can you recomend me some brake pads

mluton

In need of new pads on the front as they are noisy now. Squeeeeeeel, Ekkk!

Checked the run on the discs, they seem good, so no warping. Think the brake pad surface has gone hard again.

Just need some new pads, not really expensive though.

Any suggestions ???? (Links would be nice)

mk1 Octy vRS:thumbup:

I have run the EBC red for a while now and even after the handling day etc I've had no problems. They are £60 and fine for fast road and occasional light track use. More track use and I'd say EBC yellow (£70ish) or DS2500 (£130ish).

Unlike the yellow or DS2500 the EBC Redstuff V3 ceramic I have don't seem to dust much either. They stop just fine from cold too :)

Failing that the GSF OEM ones are fine too for just road use.

IIRC the PAGID blue and Mintex extreme are now discontinued.

mintex extreme have been discontinued.

Ferodo DS2500's are one of the best pads out there as upgrades. - £114+vat a set

Jabbasport still had Mintex X1's in stock a couple of months ago - £65.00 + shiipping IIRC, a lot cheaper tha the Ferodo DS2500's @ £90.00 + shipping.

Mintex & Ferodo IME brilliant pads, Pagid very dusty, not quite as good a cold bite.

312mm upgrade on Fabia vRS.

2500's arent as bad as the yellows from my experience.

me and our kid are just as bad on the brakes and his seam worse then mine since fitting them a good 10k ago

Naa the old man a scooby :D:rofl:

What are the Reds like for destroying wheels though?

Very little dust and very little wear on the discs. The pads seem to be wearing very well too so far.

If you want to do lots of track days then IMHO these are not the pads for you, but a bit of extra stopping power on the road and IMHO they are good, especially for the price.

Just make sure you bed them in first, as per the instructions on the packet:thumbup:

You have to wonder how kids drive when the parents are not in the car though :rofl::thumbup:

The DS2500 appears to be a new Ceramic compound now which does dust less and also has the 0.5 friction coefficient at all temps (Same as the EBC red) :D

you cannot compare performance of reds to ds2500's - night and day different... reds will wear the disks faster than ds2500 and do not have the same cold braking bite as ds2500's let alone when hammered.

you cannot compare performance of reds to ds2500's - night and day different... reds will wear the disks faster than ds2500 and do not have the same cold braking bite as ds2500's let alone when hammered.

Have you looked at both of the spec sheets together recently, now that both have new ceramic compounds?

Both show all temperatures 0.5 friction coefficient.

DS2500:

Federal-Mogul - Ferodo DS2500 Brake Pads

EBC Red Ceramic V3:

EBC Brakes - Home of the worlds largest range of brake products - Redstuff Brake Pad Information

I can't find the graphs right now, but the shape of friction looked very very similar.

As I said before if you're doing lots of track the DS2500 may be better (I have not used it) and the EBC Red are probably not suited, but for fast road use they are a good cheap pad.

I also think that since they are both ceramic compounds the wear rate on disc will be similar. I've heard from people running them that it isn't particularly high.

Although on that note, how close can you get to £60 a set for the DS2500 for the MK II VRS Callipers then Bill? I'm curious because I can't see the DS2500 being 2 times as good for road use.

silly comment - and ready to get flamed - what's so wrong with the OEM pads on 312's?

Nothing, probably the best package for the cash. If your not tracking it you won't really need uprated pads or fluid.

I am not going to get into the whole what's best thing because it's subject to your own personal tastes. I hate everything EBC I have ever used but others love them. Same with tyres as well ;)

silly comment - and ready to get flamed - what's so wrong with the OEM pads on 312's?

Nothing much. My only criticisms of them are that they seem to dust up quite a lot, not awful just more than I've had before and that they don't like getting wet.

Fine for every day and I just got the Reds because I know people who rate them well and they were cheaper than the OEM pads and not much more than the OEM-a-like ones from GSF.

I'd never run the greens mind.

I am not going to get into the whole what's best thing because it's subject to your own personal tastes. I hate everything EBC I have ever used but others love them. Same with tyres as well ;)

I'd not disagree with that.:thumbup:

does anyone know what the pad codes are for the OEM octy 2 ones as i might order them from my local vw garage and try and get discount as i need some more screenwash soon so might as well go and get them all in one :thumbup:

Not sure it depends on what system you have fitted to your car, but if you give the garage your VIN number they might well be able tell you which pads your require. If they are the 288mm ones or 312mm ones then you have the same front pads as a golf GTI.

Have you looked at both of the spec sheets together recently, now that both have new ceramic compounds?

Both show all temperatures 0.5 friction coefficient.

DS2500:

Federal-Mogul - Ferodo DS2500 Brake Pads

EBC Red Ceramic V3:

EBC Brakes - Home of the worlds largest range of brake products - Redstuff Brake Pad Information

I can't find the graphs right now, but the shape of friction looked very very similar.

As I said before if you're doing lots of track the DS2500 may be better (I have not used it) and the EBC Red are probably not suited, but for fast road use they are a good cheap pad.

I also think that since they are both ceramic compounds the wear rate on disc will be similar. I've heard from people running them that it isn't particularly high.

Although on that note, how close can you get to £60 a set for the DS2500 for the MK II VRS Callipers then Bill? I'm curious because I can't see the DS2500 being 2 times as good for road use.

DS2500's coming thru as the same compounds as ever... and not ceramic.

having run both greens,reds,yellows, and ds2500, and ds3000's, performance friction, pagid blue, I have settled on ds3000 for race use and ds2500 for fast road use in the main.

if road use is your bag, just buy yourself std pagid pads... ;)

if brakes are used hard then ds2500's are a very good pad, which wont comsume a set of disks uin hard use like reds can do. (which makes the reds not such a bargain if the disks are also consumed)

£60 for your caliper on ds2500 is not something I can quote against. they are way more than £60, but you do get what you pay for............ the question being do you "need" them....... which sounds liek you dont, so stick with pagid oe spec and save yourself some money and grief.

specs are a guide... use is where it matters.,

DS2500's coming thru as the same compounds as ever... and not ceramic.

having run both greens,reds,yellows, and ds2500, and ds3000's, performance friction, pagid blue, I have settled on ds3000 for race use and ds2500 for fast road use in the main.

if road use is your bag, just buy yourself std pagid pads... ;)

if brakes are used hard then ds2500's are a very good pad, which wont comsume a set of disks uin hard use like reds can do. (which makes the reds not such a bargain if the disks are also consumed)

£60 for your caliper on ds2500 is not something I can quote against. they are way more than £60, but you do get what you pay for............ the question being do you "need" them....... which sounds liek you dont, so stick with pagid oe spec and save yourself some money and grief.

specs are a guide... use is where it matters.,

I'm just saying what I see, which is that the new DS2500 is ceramic.

I'm happy with the reds and they offer a lot more M27 idiot avoiding power than the standard pads so all in all a good thing. That plus unlike OEM I have not seen fade when decelerating from speed on autobahns.

With me intending to go over more often this can only be a good thing :D

As stated above by decron brakes are a personal thing, but I'm more than happy so far with about 14k on the pads.

I also don't get your hard on discs comment, but I'm not going to get into an argument.

Regarding the price I'm not after you meeting £60, but I just wonder if you can better the £130 quotes I see for DS2500 so I can compare them for myself next time I need some pads. :thumbup:

reds have eaten the disks... thats the "hard" aspect that reds do to disk when used in anger. maybe you are'nt using them as hard, so dont notice.

not everyone uses brakes to the same level... we're all different after all.

ds2500's are the £130 level and there's a 4% price increase shortly too - dammit.

i see the appeal of reds, and have used em, but for only one reason, that being price, and living with compromised braking, but on a road car driven sensibly, they would be ok. used in anger, and not a hope, ds2500 or ds3000 anyday for me