MOT failure?????

bengie

one of my airbags went off due to unforeseen circumstances a couple months ago and i have since made a temporary repair of sewinf up the seat, but there is a fault light on the dash from when it went off.

my question is this, will this fail the MOT when it is up?? if you have airbags do they have to be perfect working order, kinda like a spare tyre?

You will definitely fail the MOT if the airbag system is not in full working order.

The main problem is that the rest of the airbag system may fail to operate correctly now that one airbag has already been triggered. In the eyes of the MOT inspector, this is just as dangerous as, say running on four bald tyres.

I had an Impreza STi V where the previous owner had removed the bulb from the airbag warning light. When I replaced the bulb, I discovered the problem, and had to fix it in order to pass the MOT. In my case, it was only a sensor in the steering wheel that had gone wonky, so it wasn't hugely expensive.

Bagpuss.

I couldn't possible condone that, but it might be worth a try ;)

I guess it depends on how good your sewing is, as a big hole in the side of the seat might be pretty easy to spot.

You will definitely fail the MOT if the airbag system is not in full working order.

The main problem is that the rest of the airbag system may fail to operate correctly now that one airbag has already been triggered. In the eyes of the MOT inspector' date=' this is just as dangerous as, say running on four bald tyres.

I had an Impreza STi V where the previous owner had removed the bulb from the airbag warning light. When I replaced the bulb, I discovered the problem, and had to fix it in order to pass the MOT. In my case, it was only a sensor in the steering wheel that had gone wonky, so it wasn't hugely expensive.

Bagpuss.[/quote']

:confused: NOTHING IN MY TESTING GUIDE ABOUT AIRBAGS..............

sorry guys airbags are NOT tested, their is no requirement to check them or warning lights relating to them.....................not in my 10 years of testing any how....................

:thumbup: Phil

How about some of those lovely nylon mock Tiger skin seat covers you can get, should look really cooooooooooool, Oh & dont forget the furry dice but at least the seat will be hidden

Slightly more serious idea, try the breakers for a second hand seat

As far as I was aware if your airbag light is on it should fail the MOT, the same goes for the ABS light. Both should come on with the ignition and self cancel which illiminates the bulb removing trick.

My Astra failed for that very fault.

abs light on = failure airbag light on aint got nothing to do with mot i like phil have been testing many many years and is certainly NOT part of the mot btw the spare tyre isn't either .

And do I recall you telling me that if a windscreen is an MOT fail, K, a car will pass the MOT test if the windscreen is removed? :rolleyes:

And do I recall you telling me that if a windscreen is an MOT fail, K, a car will pass the MOT test if the windscreen is removed? :rolleyes:

:shhh: :shhh: :shhh: if only ppl's knew what they can and can't get away with.

And what happens when you remove your airbag wheel for say - a momo nonairbag wheel?

You fail? No.

It WILL invalidate your insurance however if your airbag is removed and you have a crash and try to claim. If you remove your airbag, you MUST tell your insurance company.

And what happens when you remove your airbag wheel for say - a momo nonairbag wheel?

You fail? No.

It WILL invalidate your insurance however if your airbag is removed and you have a crash and try to claim. If you remove your airbag' date=' you MUST tell your insurance company.[/quote']

airbag is NOT part of the mot

NOT PART OF THE "MOT":-

spare tyre only the security if its underneath,reverse lights, AIRBAG and warning lights,rear wiper,cats on cars if after failing BET a vehicle specific test must be done..........no matching engine number then a default cat test is done applying higher limits..........above a 10mm chip in drivers view of windscreen...then put smaller wipers on it only covers the swept area

the list goes on,:P there are ways round things:mad:

:thumbup: THE MOT IS ONLY A VISUAL INSPECTION FOR ONE HOUR IN ONE YEAR OF YOUR CARS BASIC SAFETY REQUIREMENTS :eek:

:rolleyes: Phil

This is really strange, as my car was definitely failed because the airbag light was on. Although it didn't cost me much to have fixed, I was still forced to get it done.

Ho hum. I guess you live and learn.

Bagpuss.

so i dont need to race around and get it done :) . but if i fail i can point them in bik k's direction :thumbup::D

If it fails on this ask for a form V11.........they will soon check their testing manual and say sorry:rolleyes:

:thumbup: Phil

just looked at the list, bugger it the car might fail anyway. i got me a slightly dented driveshaft. better get that fixed. and speaking to a mechanic he suggested find ing the resistance of the air bag and just fitting a resistor where the airbag should be and get the fault code reset so that the others work, will this work??