Red Mk1 Rapid 120

daverapid

I love 120 Rapids, my cousin had one, GAV944Y, in the same colour red as that one, and I had A244BWV, again in red.:)

I bought it from a guy in Cambridge for £75 about 15 years ago, complete with Weber DCOE carb, Group A Exhaust, lowered suspension, 185/60 x 13 tyres and a K&N Filter.Was quite a 'rapid' Rapid.:D

I already had a black E reg Rapid 130 and a 1989 120L in grey at the same time, but the 120 Rapid really was my favourite, even though it was the oldest.:)

Well, if your red one comes out anywhere near as gorgeous as your yellow one, it'll be a real stunner:thumbup:

that 120 rap looks really straight ,better than my own est:cool:

was the mk1 the first use of semi trailing suspension and 5 speed box in combo with 1174 five port head engine

i guess its a resto to standard spec (probably the best way for a more rare machine like that :in my opinion anyhow:thumbup:)

:)The Mk1 Rapid is now a very rare beast in this country, eight at the last count! It was the first Skoda to feature the semi-trailing arm rear suspension, though with a narrower track than the Mk2 130. The 5 speed box was introduced on the Mk2 130...all Mk1 Rapids came with 4 speeds.

I thought the semi-trailing end was only ever on the 130s (Estelle and Rapid), due to the number of them Skoda could make?

The wheels might be original (I've seen similar installed by SUK on higher spec Estelle/Rapids in period), but I don't think the LH rear fog is.

I thought the semi-trailing end was only ever on the 130s (Estelle and Rapid), due to the number of them Skoda could make?

The wheels might be original (I've seen similar installed by SUK on higher spec Estelle/Rapids in period), but I don't think the LH rear fog is.

The semi-trailing arm suspension was used on all Rapids, whether they were 120, 130, 135i or 136, and also on all 130 Estelles and only 1,500 120 LX and LXE Limited Edition models in 1987, introduced to celebrate Skoda G.B.'s 21st Anniversary.

The wheels were standard KN Apollo used on all 120/130 Rapids until the 1987 model year versions were introduced when KN Meteors were used.

The rear fogs were mounted above the bumper on the 120 Rapids and under the bumper on 130 and later Rapids.

By the way, Im full of useless info on Skodas of the rear-engined era:D:thumbup:

what is the gearing like on the rapids 4 speed ,is it the same as my own 4sp box (50 mph @3000 rpm)

I'm prepared to be proved wrong on this, but I think the 1050s and 1200s had a 4.4 CWP, and the 1300s a 4.1 as a rule, but there was one batch of 4.4 CWP 5-speeds landed here by mistake. SUK were persuaded to keep them for the Skoda challenge cars.

mr rapid where do you get all these excellent machines ,all the pics posted on here and ' other websites' of youre cars seem (to mad fellows like me) more interesting than italian exotica..........will i take the lamborgini muira tonight, no i think i'll take the

130 gls .......

anyhow i say well done that man (loyd grossmans voice)

:)The Mk1 Rapid is now a very rare beast in this country, eight at the last count! It was the first Skoda to feature the semi-trailing arm rear suspension, though with a narrower track than the Mk2 130. The 5 speed box was introduced on the Mk2 130...all Mk1 Rapids came with 4 speeds.

So quite common compared to old Octavias then Dave!!

;)