Fabia wheel bearing noise?

remmington

I have a 2003 fabia 1.2 classic (60K)

When my road speed exceeds around 30mph, a whirring noise is produced from around one of the front wheels, as road speed increases the noise gets louder and higher pitched.

When cornering the pitch of the noise chages.

To diagnose the fault I have tried the following:

1. Full lock at low speed, however I cannot hear any knocking noises.

2. Jacked up front and checked for play in bearing, seems OK.

3. Finally jacked up each side in turn and rotated the wheel up to 50mph using the engine. Cannot reproduce the whirring noise experienced when driving.

Any Ideas?

Edited by remmington
spelling

I could be talking b***ocks, but if I was you, and you are keeping this car for any length of time, I'd get both sides changed - the hub bearings seem to be known to fail at any time (that usually means earlier than later) with this VAG platform. When they went on my older Passat I certainly got both sides replaced - usually we have enough going on in our lives to want to avoid yet another visit to the garage when the other side starts getting noisey.

When cornering the sound doesn't really get louder. The sound just changes a bit.

As I'm keeping the car I'll probably get bearings for both sides.

Am I right in thinking the bearing is integral to the hub so I'll need to buy a new hub and bearing assembly for each side, ie I can't just replace the bearings.

• 4 months later...