How to determine the maximum safe power output for an AUQ?

G-slave

TTs that have different turbo's manifold etc

180 TT's are the same engine code as the vrs (AUQ) 225 tt's are the BAM engines

ARX=150bhp ....4x4, golf Gti etc

AUQ=180bhp .....TT, vrs, cupra, golf anni's etc

BAM=225bhp....Cupra R, TT maybe others(not sure)

iirc there a210 bhp engine as well ...maybe

This is too my limited knowledge:O. If wants to correct me ......carry on

the 4x4 will never ge the same wheel power as a vrs as even when the 4x4 is decoupled its always running the transfer box/prop/inlet side of the rear diff so it always has higher losses :)

the engines have the same short blocks and the heads are the same apparently and they run the same turbo and manifold, infact my turbo came from a vRS when mine broke.

240 is possible from an AUQ engine which is what the OP has. Just needs the same mods you did to your ARX engine plus a good custom remap.

So are we saying 250ps is safe for an unmodified AUQ engine block?

Sorry to ask again but is this generally accepted as safe?

Thanks

Edited by G-slave

I'd say that power level is safe for the internals but then you won't get that power level unless you use a bigger turbo, you are really pushing the boundaries of the standard turbo at 240bhp and that will be having spent a fortune on mods like a turbo back exhaust, sports cat, TIP, front mount intercooler etc... and if you are going to put a bigger turbo on then changing the internals would be definately be necessary otherwise you start winding up the boost and the engine will go bang :eek::thumbdwn:

Or is it a 50bhp shot of laughing gas you are considering? :confused:

Edited by chicken_eyebrow

Yeah, makes sense;

240BHP is considered safe (but almost not achievable with standard turbo; the K03s)

and if you change the Turbo and up the pressure then you need to make sure the boost does not exceed a certain limit deemed safe for the internals.

That boost limit would roughly equate to 300bhp, but it is incorrect to say boost=bhp as it will all depend on the map and health of existing components

So what I have just learned is that this safe limit I keep wondering about, is actually in direct relation with the boost pressure.

dare I ask; what is acceptable boost pressure for KO3s, running on AUQ with aftermarket TIP, the hose between the Turbo and IC and a panelfilter? (no laughing gas, thanks)

Edited by G-slave

• 8 years later...

My AUQ 1.8T Octy made 259bhp and 280ib/ft with 23psi boost.  You also have to get yourself a good mapper who will take his time.  Chris @ CC Tuning in my case, the best.

Edited by sammyhale30

• 2 years later...