Need Help With Felicia Alternator Warning Light Problem

Katsmeat

I have a 99 Felicia and a couple of weeks ago the alternator died a death. I got the alternator replaced at my local garage and got a new battery at the same time. Drove the car 10 miles down the road and the alternator warning light started flickering on. Took the car straight back to the garage and they fitted another new alternator. Same thing happened again ... 10 miles down the road the warning light started flickering on. Took it back AGAIN and they tested the voltage and said the alternator was definately working. I needed the car to go on holiday so I carried on driving it. The light gradually got brighter and is now on all the time except when the car is at low revs when it fades into almost off. I have driven for over a week and over 300 miles with the warning light on and the car is fine ... starts first time and no other issues. Has anyone come accross this before? What should I know before I take it to the Skoda dealer? It was

• 1 year later...

I have a similar problem with my Landrover Discovery. I know what's causing that so perhaps it's the same fault on your Skoda?

I've traced it to a tiny diode on the circuit board behind the dashboard that somehow links the rev counter and the charging light circuit. This has blown but I haven't bothered to fix it as the component is about tuppence but the work involved to change it will take about half a day.

Cheers

Gary

Just a guess,Might be the voltage regulator?

Yes I must agree with that.

You have to be carefull with these.

It is a common problem.

I have seen one pump way too much to the battery which then caused the battery to blow up.

The acid then went in to the ECU

Mmmm expensive.

So get it done as I dont believe this to be expensive or a long job to replace

Sarah