Want to recommend a fabia 2 to a friend but...

...which engine do you reckon? My favorite is the 80bhp 1.4 TDI as it's lively, £35 a year road tax and has loads of character being a triple. However Diesel is 15p a litre more expensive here and the TDI is £900 odd dearer. I have driven the 1.4 16v and, apologies to owners of that engne but it did nothing for me. I would recommend the 1.2 HTP 70 as it's quite cheap to buy but had one as a courtesy car when Skoda where doing my door seals and the economy wasn't that great as had (and liked) to rag it everywhere.:D What do lot think?

Edited by Matt Bodycombe

my 1.2 gives 50 plus with no problems after 2500 kms, earlier was not so good. Seems to improve with mileage, certainly smoother and more powerfull, lose your fillings with the tdi! I live in France so no road tax.

Matt, what sort of driving will your friend be doing?

If it is mainly town one of the smaller engines would be fine, for anything else has to be 1.9tdi, or for the Auto 1.6.

I would agree that the 1.4TDi is the best all round engine, but my favourite engine to drive in the Fabia is the 1.9TDi but that comes with a higher initial cost, high road tax, less fuel economy.

Out of the petrols I rate the 1.2 over the 1.4 as it feels more torquey and nippy around town and it sounds like half a Porsche engine.

Matt, what sort of driving will your friend be doing?

If it is mainly town one of the smaller engines would be fine, for anything else has to be 1.9tdi, or for the Auto 1.6.

Hey Mike good to meet you at the meeting:D Bit of everything really works in Plymouth but lives inTavistock so likes driving on the excellent roads there. I think I'll recommend the 1.4 TDI 80 or 1.9 TDI. Wants to buy new but may tell him to get a nearly new so he can get the 1.9. Bet he can barter hard in this climate:)

^^^What MDK said

Depends on what you want and what you have to spend.

Mainly town and maybe the odd motorway trip then look at the 1.2HTP or 1.4 petrol

Otherwise you'll be spending extra money when you might not want/need to.

If you need the extra grunt to carry people/stuff around then look at the 1.4TDI

I have the 1.4 16v engine and think it's every bit as good as my 1.4 16v Astra. If you're used to a diesel, it does feel underpowered, but it's competant and doesn't deserve the harsh criticisms. I routinely get better than Skoda's economy figures and on the open roads in Wales, it was achieving 50mpg.

I have driven the 1.2 70 bhp and while it was a pleasant surprise in terms of performance, I prefer my four cylinders.

:)

I have driven the 1.2HTP engine in a prev shape Ibiza and Polo and it was a nice little engine. Can't remember the mpg I got but its a nice revvy unit.

Comfortable enough on the motorway too.

Get the person you're recommending the Fabia 2 to have a test drive themselves to see what engine suit their needs and budget.

They might drive the Fabia and feel they prefer a Fiesta better.

I have a 1.4 TDI Fabia II (level 2 trim) and I love it. Yes it grumbles a bit and gives a bit of a "shake" when starting but soon quietens down once underway and warmed up a bit. For me the sheer satisfaction of the urge from the little 3-cylinder unit more than makes-up for the slight lack of refinement. True though, if you don't do the mileage it doesn't always make sense financially.

G

For refinement it has to be petrol, the 1.6 being the pick and very nice in Tiptronic form. The diesels torque is very nice but that cold start clatter - oh dear - OK if you are in to tractors!

The clatter soon dies down but even at its worse cannot be compared to a tractor.

The 1.9TDi is a bit noisy at idle, especially when cold but a lot quieter and a lot less vibration than a 1.4TDi I tried.

The 1.4TDi did seem quite quick round town (didn't get to try faster roads) - I think the gearing is a bit lower than the 1.9 and it seems to rev very easily for a diesel (and it does make quite a nice noise for a diesel when you do rev it!)

I've also tried the 1.2 and found it drove well round town but again didn't get chance to try it on faster roads.

I like the big shove in the back you get from the 1.9 but find it's still fantastic for economy (40-45 on very short journeys round town and up to 65 on a longer run). Although the tax does cost more than the 1.4TDi, when you look at it monthly, it's only £7 difference (less next year).

I did vaguely consider the 1.6 petrol with a manual box but decided it wasn't much more economical than my previous 1.8 Zafira and the two reasons to change were downsizing and reduce fuel costs.

Probably depends on what your friend wants - if it's just to be used round town then the 1.2 or 1.4TDi would probably be ample but if he can afford the extra for the 1.9TDi or uses it for long distances then I would recommend that.

For the last 20 years all my cars have been diesel, in those early years most stations didn't sell diesel but I only ever consider diesels because of their longevity and reliability plus years ago you could run those engines on most types of fuel. One night I literally got home about 50 miles away by putting oil and Vodka in the tank.

IF all things were equal regarding initial cost, mpg and emissions, I wonder how many would actually choose a diesel over a petrol?

It would probably come down to torque versus refinement.

Which is why I'd choose a petrol turbo any day :) You get both!

I can recommend the 1.9 diesel, its not as refined as the CR unit in my old car, but its more reliable which i will take any day. Its suprisingly punchy considering its modest output and mine is getting quiter the more miles i do. I tried the 1.4 and didnt like it that much, too noisy, lumpy and not enough guts.

For the last 20 years all my cars have been diesel, in those early years most stations didn't sell diesel but I only ever consider diesels because of their longevity and reliability plus years ago you could run those engines on most types of fuel. One night I literally got home about 50 miles away by putting oil and Vodka in the tank.

You're joking but with the way fuel prices are maybe a mixture of Stolly and oil might be cheaper:rofl::rofl::rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

in our house we have the 1.2 and the 1.9. We live in the countryside and I have to say that the wife's 1.2 is a lovely motor in most conditions, sounds great and rarely really struggles except at higher speeds on the motorway where its working really hard and sometimes when trying to overtake where you grin and bear it. Economy is nowhere near as good as I'd expect averaging 38-42 in town driving and up to 40 on a long run. As good as it is, I still wouldn't swop it for the sheer effortless nature and grunt of the 1.9. I had a 207 gt 150 turbo before this and don't feel too short changed, especially as I'm now averaging 55mpg. With good haggling, financially it still can make sense and will handle anything you throw at it:thumbup: