Turbo problem - I think...

Hiya all,

Had a new turbo fitted last week by the dealer under warranty, car has been fine but today the power has dropped noticeably and every time I boot it, I hear a whooshing sound inside the car (from the bulkhead area).

I am assuming something has popped off, but when I checked under the bonnet, the big plastic air feed appears to be still connected OK to the turbo.

Any ideas of where to look ? And do I need to take off the plastic engine cover ?

Cheers

RBW.

Just take off the plastic cover by lifting the front then pulling it towards you

and just check all the clips on the pipes are on properly. You may also need to get under the car to take off the undertray and check the pipes going from the turbo to the intercooler.

You've checked the air intake side from the airbox (that is the black feed hose side). Also check the other side, when standing in front of the car, running at the left hand side of the turbo, by the side of the engine, down to the side mounted intercooler. Quite often the clips at the side of the turbo give in, I would not re-use them personally, perhaps when the turbo was replaced, the existing clips were used, which could cause the pipe to not sit properly and leak boost.

Take it back to the dealer - ask them to check it, and make a point of asking if the clips have been re-used. OEM clips are often borderline and rely on spring tension to stay in place. If they were prised off roughly, they may well have lost their tension.

HTH

Bas