Saturday night 180 roundabout spin!!!

Hi

I have added some posts recently about a knocking i was getting from under both front wheel arches. I was told the problem was my wishbone brushes and had them replaced. After this i was still getting a knocking from the near side and the car was now pulling to the left. I took it back and everything was checked, bearings, wishbone ect but no problem could be found. I was told it was safe to drive and if the knocking got worse to bring it back. The knocking did get worse and on xmas eve i was driving through some country lanes and the car hit a slight bump in the road and draged me into the kurb causeing some alloy and tyre wall damage. Since then i have been driving like a granny.:(

Lastnight i was driving home and came onto a national speed limit roundabout the joins onto the a13. i was doing 45mph into a corner when the wheel snaped left again and started to slide into a spine, i tried to correct the spine and there was a loud crack and the car felt like it was going to go over. I decided then to go with the spin that turned me 180 on the roundabout and came to a stop facing on coming traffic!:eek:

I was very lucky that it was at this time of the year and there wasnt alot of traffic on the road. I will be contacting the gariage on Monday to take the car back in but i dont realy want to drive it untill then. Got bugger all money to fix it now due to xmas and cant trade it in as i still have £6600 left to pay on hp and the car is only worth £4800 in glasses.

:mad:

Just out of interest, do you know if the car has a rear anti-roll bar ?

RBW.

Unless he has had the Jabba or Whiteline fitted himself then they dont have one as standard... even with a rear arb you have to be being intentionally silly for it to come round on you... Fabia is a understeery beast

Unless he has had the Jabba or Whiteline fitted himself then they dont have one as standard...

Im sure there is a point to that comment somewhere, but I cant find it, but its very nice of you to reply on the OP's behalf.

even with a rear arb you have to be being intentionally silly for it to come round on you... Fabia is a understeery beast

Again, a very erm, 'useful' comment. Have you sucked all those eggs now ?

RBW.

edited - rubbish at quoting..

Hi

I have added some posts recently about a knocking i was getting from under both front wheel arches. I was told the problem was my wishbone brushes and had them replaced. After this i was still getting a knocking from the near side and the car was now pulling to the left. I took it back and everything was checked, bearings, wishbone ect but no problem could be found. I was told it was safe to drive and if the knocking got worse to bring it back. The knocking did get worse and on xmas eve i was driving through some country lanes and the car hit a slight bump in the road and draged me into the kurb causeing some alloy and tyre wall damage. Since then i have been driving like a granny.:(

Lastnight i was driving home and came onto a national speed limit roundabout the joins onto the a13. i was doing 45mph into a corner when the wheel snaped left again and started to slide into a spine, i tried to correct the spine and there was a loud crack and the car felt like it was going to go over. I decided then to go with the spin that turned me 180 on the roundabout and came to a stop facing on coming traffic!:eek:

I was very lucky that it was at this time of the year and there wasnt alot of traffic on the road. I will be contacting the gariage on Monday to take the car back in but i dont realy want to drive it untill then. Got bugger all money to fix it now due to xmas and cant trade it in as i still have £6600 left to pay on hp and the car is only worth £4800 in glasses.

:mad:

Wheel bearing or bottom strut ball joint should be easy to diagnose, as should anything steering(y). There are basic wobble it, pull it, bash it, checks to ensure that these components are working.

Your problem does sound a little esoteric. Though Fabias have ended up on their roofs, it's more as a result of intentional break-dancing and enthusiasm :rolleyes: rather than mechanical problems.

That leaves anything else.... Guesses....

Strut topmount(s) has broken and is wallowing around in the turret.

Broken suspension spring.

The strut itself is broken.

HTH

J.

Im sure there is a point to that comment somewhere, but I cant find it, but its very nice of you to reply on the OP's behalf.

Again, a very erm, 'useful' comment. Have you sucked all those eggs now ?

RBW.

edited - rubbish at quoting..

Maybe you could wind off some attitude right there? Colin was only trying to be helpful.

Shocking! :rofl:

just glad everyone is ok. how fast did you say you were going on the roundabout?

And while I'm feeling grumpy, masking what you may think by popping it someone elses quote is a bit poor too ;)

Losing back ends on roundabouts at any speed, subject to no mechanical failure or somewhat ambitious entry speeds is usually down to diesel spillage. I done a spectaculer 300 degree spin on a large roundabout before xmas and the car survived. Absolutely sh!t the life out of me though.:eek:

Keith :thumbup:

If nothing is visibly hanging off or really quite broken, I'm going with a diesel spill too. Lethal they are. I have almost come a cropper a couple of times. Once it was my own diesel leaking out of the tank onto the rear wheels of the truck i was in. Oooops.

I ended up doing a backflip at 60mph onto my roof (painful, night in hospital, spinal board, the whole nine yards, but damn I bet it looked cool :rofl:) in a 55-plate Fiesta belonging to my boss back in August. Guess what the cause was? Yep, diesel spill.

I'm interested in hearing what the garage find, but do bear this in mind as a possible cause too. I've had a few 'Oh F*&$!' moments on a local roundabout beside a filling station.

Glad you're OK :)

I think that was one of the least helpful posts I've seen, perhaps he should try a little less ?

RBW.

WTF are you on?

If you haven't anything constructive to say, keep your neb out!