for less than

ChrisCrashTM

is this engine worth buying? close enough to me aswell

no loom, no ecu (thought they only had a start up module anyway :S)

or should i hold my horses and wait?

thanks

Er, do you have a link Chris :confused:

nowhere to keep the car :/

there is no more room in the space i rented, and im living at the misses house (her parents wont appreciate a knackered car dumped outside)

and i the questions where asked and replied

Q: when was the engine running last? do you no what millage is on it? thanks. rich 16-Jan-09

A: engine was last running about 10mths ago mileage then was 107K

Q: Is the engine a good runner? I.e does it use oil, smoke etc. Also do you have the ecu and engine wiring loom? 14-Jan-09

A: engine ran well when vehicle was last used, sorry no wiring loom.

oh right, thanks

so not worth the buy? would it be the same 112hp as the mk2 1.8 8v?

Essentially the same, MK2 came with KJet and Digifant injection later on though, the KJet mechanical is the easiest to work with in my opinion but you will also need a metering head and all the plumbing that goes along with it too.

for £40 its worth a pop, the fact the head is painted with hammerite puts me off a little but you wont be loosing much if all isnt well.

You can overhaul this engine for little money, they have shim tappets and the valve stem oil seals are common to go, worth picking up a headset and timing belt and doing it all at once, i recon youll get a belt headset and headbolts for under 50 quid.

The EG engine has some problems with cracking around the valve seats but without seeing it as a runner you wont find out.

If it was me and it was close enough i'd take the chance.

Looking at it it will need a full strip down and rebuild (gaskets will cost you more than the engine) as it looks like it has been left outside, so may be full of water as well?

As Lummox said you can get a running car for peanuts, drop the engine out (1/2 a days work max) then get rid of the rest, you will also have all the ancillaries that are missing from this one.

If it was me i would only consider it if i needed a head or block to rebuild.

Mate, it's been said already but my choice would be to take a risk, for 40 quid it might just be the deal of the century, then again it might be cack... In the end it's only 40 quid. If it does turn out to be a dead one then buy a donor car, drop the engine out, a half day job in a MK1, strip the car and get the shell weighed in for scrap, if you're lucky selling the stripped bits and the shell, you may just make some cash.

-Duggie

that lump is out of an audi, either that or it's got an audi intake manifold fitted to it, you can just see the cold start valve on the left at the back, it's on the right on the golf lump. this engine will cause you grief