To de cat or not to de cat..that is the question

Joel_vRS

To Decat or not to decat  

1 member has voted

1. 1. To Decat or not to decat

• De cat totaly straight through exhaust
    • Just get CAT Back system
    • Sports CAT and system

im looking at an performance exhaust for my next mod..ive look at the review on here they all sound good options...but im still very undesided and woudl like some more input please..

i dont want any tihng loud or over powering on idle infact cruising and idleing i dont want to notice the diffrence to standard..but a nice roar when acclerating woudl be accptable. (this is leading some where bear with me)

my understanding of exhausts is the CAT is the main cuase of restricting the flow of fumes..but also holds back alot of the noise...this is why i have reservation about removing it...i know you can get sports CAT but there ~

I have the Blueflame dp/cat and a custom powerflow quad outlet exhaust which may be a bit ott for youself but they can make a system to your requirements with whatever tailpipe design you require and make it as loud or quiet as you like,since i had mine fitted i have found it revs more freely and the turbo lag seems to be reduced also the sound at tickover and casual driving isnt much louder than normal and the difference in exhaust note is only noticeable under harder acceleration where you notice a deeper growl which is nice :thumbup:

Go the whole hog and whip the bugger out. ;) Just make sure you have it to refit for your first MOT. :D I think Jon's the best person to info about total decat on a vRS octy - I know he ran his old one that way for a period of 2003.

I was going to remove the cat like Jason suggested but i couldnt be bothered messing about when the MOT was due but the advantages are more power and in some instances like on the overun you get flames out which looks pretty cool :D but it could be a bit loud for you if your looking for a sedate exhaust note

I was going to remove the cat like Jason suggested but i couldnt be bothered messing about when the MOT was due but the advantages are more power and in some instances like on the overun you get flames out which looks pretty cool :D but it could be a bit loud for you if your looking for a sedate exhaust note

And I can verify Jon's old exhaust was just that! Lots of popping, a raw note on acceleration, and I'm pretty sure it flamed a bit too! :D

And I can verify Jon's old exhaust was just that! Lots of popping, a raw note on acceleration, and I'm pretty sure it flamed a bit too! :D

When did you notice that you didn't have any eyebrows left :D

Jonno(full compliment of eyebrows).

I have the Blueflame dp/cat and a custom powerflow quad outlet exhaust which may be a bit ott for youself but they can make a system to your requirements with whatever tailpipe design you require and make it as loud or quiet as you like,since i had mine fitted i have found it revs more freely and the turbo lag seems to be reduced also the sound at tickover and casual driving isnt much louder than normal and the difference in exhaust note is only noticeable under harder acceleration where you notice a deeper growl which is nice :thumbup:

Seconded, I had a one off system built by Blueflame for the Octy 4x4 with a sports cat. I would agree with all the comments about engine reving more freely, less lag & the note is perfect, a burble when driven gently but a definate bark when you nail it.

have a look on www.blueflameperformance.co.uk & call for a quote, you may have a pleasant suprise

Joel, I assume you have read the first thread in this Forum - ie What Mods Are Worth Doing?

yes i have...but wanted a bit more personal input..about what other people have done because there are sevral options there and they all sound good

Joel

Will probably be a Jabba this coming Saturday.......if you're around you can then hear what a Milltek dp/cat and Jetex cat back sounds like.

I'll see you there Adrian! :thumbup: I'm there from 9am getting Mike to open up my dodgy ECU and see if he can find out what's gone a bit a.w.o.l in it! :D I'll bring along some cotton cloths and Zymol and you can help me polish the motor! :rofl:

I'll see you there Adrian! :thumbup: I'm there from 9am getting Mike to open up my dodgy ECU and see if he can find out what's gone a bit a.w.o.l in it! :D I'll bring along some cotton cloths and Zymol and you can help me polish the motor! :rofl:

Not 100% sure yet....depends on Elton but will know by end of week. If it's a goer I'll be there around the same time.

I'm bringing the baby with me so you can change the nappies. ;):rofl:

pants im working would love to hear it

at trax tho id like have listen and look at a few peoples...if thats ok :thumbup:

no dout i'll be sniffing round on your stand alot :D

Joel

Unfortunately, I'm not going to make TRAX...family committements. :(

Should still be a good selection for you to listen to though.

pants im working would love to hear it

at trax tho id like have listen and look at a few peoples...if thats ok :thumbup:

no dout i'll be sniffing round on your stand alot :D

Joel

Joel,

You're welcome to have a listen to mine, Jabba fitted blueflame cat and jetex back box, on idle it sounds virtually standard, but gives a nice sound when you rev it.

Andy

Where abouts are you Joel? as I have a full Miltek on my combi and your welcome to have a listen to that if your reasonably local, I'll even take you for a blast round the block so you can hear it from the inside ;) .

I love the sound of the Miltek, not much louder than standard on tick over but a nice deep note that sounds more meaty (you should have seen Hucks face when they started his car with my old standard exhaust on it, looked abit like this :( ).Sports cat has freed up the engine to rev cleaner and added a noticable amount of torque too. Just need to get the Revo re-map sorted out now after having the trial map and finding out what potential the car has :D .

Darren

Hi Joel

Did you make up your mind after visiting Trax then?

Offer still stands for a spin in my vRS with full Miltek system but no other engine mods yet.

I'm in Nottingham so could meet you in the middle (Melton Mowbray?) if you like one weekend.

Darren

not that I wish to offend - but what is the point of all of this? what's wrong with your Skoda's as they are? are you all like those teenagers i see with peaked baseball caps and sitting on car-parks and opposite mcdonalds in leamington spa. granted they all drive crappy old fiestas, but please do re-assure me you're not all like those kids are you.. ? :D

Regards,

not that I wish to offend - but what is the point of all of this? what's wrong with your Skoda's as they are? are you all like those teenagers i see with peaked baseball caps and sitting on car-parks and opposite mcdonalds in leamington spa. granted they all drive crappy old fiestas' date=' but please do re-assure me you're not all like those kids are you.. ? :D

Regards,[/quote']

I don't see it like that really! I think of it more like a bottle of Mr Muscle being used to clear a slight blockage in the pipe ;) The cat being that slight blockage. Although I think it was an angle grinder in my case not Mr Muscle. ;)