daylight driving lights

my father just got his hands on a new superb s problem is he cant turn off daylight driving lights he has tried as manual states pull light lever towards steering wheel n then up but all that does is flash headlamps and turn on indicator anyone help?? as he must b doin it wrong somehow lol thanks:)

my father just got his hands on a new superb s problem is he cant turn off daylight driving lights he has tried as manual states pull light lever towards steering wheel n then up but all that does is flash headlamps and turn on indicator anyone help?? as he must b doin it wrong somehow lol thanks:)

There's a setting in the maxidot under "lights". :thumbup:

Does the dimmer of the dashboard lights Work, near the lights switch????

try and say something

You may not be able to do it.

I'm not sure about Skoda specifically but as of 2011 all new vehicles by law will have to have side lights on by default. VAG and certianly VW have started this allready on new vehicles.

OK, then. There 'was' a setting in the maxidot. :rolleyes:

Maybe it has been changed since it was launched, but check it out anyway.

If you go into the MFD then into set up it's in there under Lights and vision.

Pete

The DRLs were on on my Elegance at delivery. Maxidot said they were off. So I set them on and then off again (via Maxidot). They went off. ;-)

Now, the permanently backlit instrument panel: I have for the first time ever, driven away in the dark without my lights on, thinking that they were on. Why? The instruments were lit. Doh!

The DRLs were on on my Elegance at delivery. Maxidot said they were off. So I set them on and then off again (via Maxidot). They went off. ;-)

Now, the permanently backlit instrument panel: I have for the first time ever, driven away in the dark without my lights on, thinking that they were on. Why? The instruments were lit. Doh!

Did that too!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mk4 Mondeo does this. I'll ask the dealer to turn this off when it goes in, as I forget to put lights on :rolleyes:

I just have my DRLs on (it's going to be law isn't it soon(?), so may as well start now!) and the lights set to Auto, this way I never have to remember anything! Just let the car do the thinking, that's what all the kit's for!

Dan

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

try this out !!!

The dimmer switch operates only when lights are turned on either manually or auto, full illumination of instruments in daylight with ignition on.

How can you drive off at night without knowing you have not turned on your lights, there are indicator lights on the dash for main and dip beam.

If you have day drinving lights fitted do you now have to use them by law or just on new cars from now on?

thansk

Paul

This is incorrect, the law only applies to new models released from a date in Feb, existing models are not required to have them at all. Those that do, they can be on or off since they are not required to have them.

So for Skoda, DRLs would not be required to be fitted and remain on until the Fabia3, Roomster2, Octavia3, Yeti2 or Superb3.

I dont get why you would want to turn them off?

You cant see them and they make no effect to the car's drive or appearance from the inside?

Mine have been on from day 1 - Ok, so i get a flash every nower and then from people thinking i have my fogs on.... but so...?!

Al.

My Superb I manual stated that having the lights on when not needed does increase consumption, same with all of the electric accessories apparently.

As for having drl's on or off, then that's a personal preference. I don't like them and think they're unnecessary. Anyone that can't see another car approaching in daylight unless it has lights on is not safe to be driving, imo.

In my opinion, the EU ruling is another prime example of them interfering in areas they don't need to whilst happily burying their heads in the sand when it comes to the really important issues.

Thats a sweeping statement saying someone shouldn't be driving if they can't see a car without lights on. How about a motorway when its pouring with rain? I for one can see sod all when driving in those conditions. I always have my lights on in those situations but unfortunately not everyone does. Take a certain dark grey Audi A3 driving along the motorway with no lights on, totally invisible except for the DRLs on the front of the car. If it wasn't for them I would have changed lanes where the Audi was.

I for one think they are a good idea and the power consumption argument is mostly irrelevant.

Thats a sweeping statement saying someone shouldn't be driving if they can't see a car without lights on. How about a motorway when its pouring with rain? I for one can see sod all when driving in those conditions. I always have my lights on in those situations but unfortunately not everyone does. Take a certain dark grey Audi A3 driving along the motorway with no lights on, totally invisible except for the DRLs on the front of the car. If it wasn't for them I would have changed lanes where the Audi was.

I for one think they are a good idea and the power consumption argument is mostly irrelevant.

I would and do always put my lights on in poor driving conditions, daylight or not. Any sensible, competent driver should do the same.

My swipe is aimed at the bureaucrats, not drivers. Surely a better way would have been to specify mandatory auto lights which have to operate when light levels drop beyond a pre-set light level?

And they're happy to demand daylight running lights whilst staying away from making tcs and esp systems mandatory. I know which I'd sooner have to have switched on by law.

I guess like many things, drl's are a personal preference and I'd prefer not to have them.

Edited by Slinksuperb

I dont have them on becasue they look like the foglights are on. I just leave my dip beams on always.

I don't see the point of DRL's when the car has other perfectly good lights already?

BTW how do you turn off that ridiculour light that comes on when you're turning? Again it looks like your fog lights are on but only 1 is working......

Edited by davegilsenan

As they become more common people will get used to them.

The DRL's are only 13W and are directed straight ahead so are quite bright, dipped headlights and tail lights put more load on the engine and therefore use fractionally more fuel.

Cornering fogs can be deactivated via maxidot, but again this feature is common on all modern cars now so no need to worry about people thinking you have defective fog lights!

Edited by silver1011

Cornering fogs can be deactivated via maxidot, but again this feature is common on all modern cars now so no need to worry about people thinking you have defective fog lights!

How can the cornering fogs be disabled? I find them rather pointless, personally, but have not been able to see how to turn them off.

Justin.

As they become more common people will get used to them.

The DRL's are only 13W and are directed straight ahead so are quite bright, dipped headlights and tail lights put more load on the engine and therefore use fractionally more fuel.

They are actually two 21w bulbs

How can the cornering fogs be disabled? I find them rather pointless, personally, but have not been able to see how to turn them off.

Justin.

I'm sure it can be done through the maxidot, failing that find someone local with VCDS to do it for you. :thumbup: