It's Tyre Time. Again!

Rob.

Toyo Proxes T1R vs. Uniroyal Rainsport 2  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Toyo Proxes T1R vs. Uniroyal Rainsport 2

• Uniroyal Rainsport 2
    • Toyo Proxes T1R
    • They're equally as good!

Ok, New tyres for my Standard Fabia vRS.

I've done so much research and forum searching and (excluding Goodyears because they sound lethal in snow/Ice) Have narrowed my new tyres down to 2 possible options... But I just dunno which.

The forum seems to have 2 favorites, but which is the true post OEM forum recommended tyre?

TOYO PROXES T1R vs UNIROYAL Rainsport 2

Thanks

Rob.

Do your tyres last long enough to be concerned about snow or ice, given that it's March now and it'll be November (ish) before we see any large quantities of snow & ice again?

I know I'd get through a set of tyres before then :D

I've just put Uniroyal Rainsport 2's on mine for the first time and I'm very impressed. They replaced Eagle F1's and seem as good in in the dry and awesome in the wet (grip is lamost as high as when dry).

In fact for the first time I know I'm going to put the same tyre back on again when its comes to renewal time :thumbup:

The road noise is quiet, the feel through the steering wheel is one of the best I've experienced too.

I've had Toyo's before and although they grip well they are too soft and wear too quickly for my liking. The grip in comparison to Uniroyal's in the dry is very similar but the extra grip in the wet from the Uniroyal's in the wet is something else.

So far found Uniroyals from between 75 - 100 per tyre.

They're hard to find though, Toyo's much more readily available, and a bit cheaper.. 65 - 75.

Ive never even heard of the uniroyals before if I'm honest! I will soon be in need for some rubber up front, think I might try the T1-rs or if I can afford to stretch I'd like to go exalto pe2s as I swear by them!

Bought some rainsports 2 weeks ago and wow i am impressed, much more grip than the continentals that came with the car and when it rained it felt like i was driving on a dry road.

I think the Toyo's will win the poll as they're a very popular budget performance tire that many people have experience of and so will recommend. The Rainsports are a bit pricier and haven't caught as much attention, but having driven a mate Scoob with them, and recalling my own Scoob on Toyo's, I'd go with the Rainsports, or to upset the game a little, Vredestein Sessanta's.

I can't fault the Goodyear in wet or dry conditions. I agree with you though they are dangerous on snow, I have had wheelspin at 40-45mph/1500rpm in top gear!! :eek:

I have now got Toyos and my father has commented that they do not have as crisp turn into corners than the F1's. In deep standing water they are probably not as good either. I bought for £115 a pair + Fitting from Camskill so were much cheaper. Other people on here may also recommend to you Khumo KU31's.

I think the Toyo's will win the poll as they're a very popular budget performance tire that many people have experience of and so will recommend. The Rainsports are a bit pricier and haven't caught as much attention, but having driven a mate Scoob with them, and recalling my own Scoob on Toyo's, I'd go with the Rainsports, or to upset the game a little, Vredestein Sessanta's.

yup, been hearing nothing but good things about the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta :thumbup:

If you are running a standard vRS then the Vredestein SporTrac3s are on the money imo. Cheaper than the Ultracs but still a damn good tyre. They have a sexy tread pattern and don't have a problem putting down 180 swedish horses in my Dads 9-5 saloon.

Wet handling though has to be tried to be believed! Came second in the Evo tyre test!

How much does one good tyre differ from another good tyre though?

I'm running Acceleras (woo, cheap sh!t, unless you can tell me otherwise, but they don't seem to grip).. and I guess what I'm asking is do I really stand to loose out by not picking the best tyre for my car.. are the top 5 all pretty much with in 95% as good as each other or can Toyo's vs Rainsports really make a notable difference?

Edited by reflex88

I've just put 2 new toyo T1R's on my fabia and can't fault them so far, only done around 1k tho. I did see the uniroyal tyre as getting some stonking reviews but it was the price that swayed me, £61+VAT each for the toyos vs £100 ish for the uniroyals.

I'm running Nankang NS2's now which cost me £154 for 4 all in, and they do everything I need in a tire on a small hatchback of reasonable performance. TBH, I find most normal tires very similar. Yoko A539's were awful in damp, but OK in wet and dry. Vredestein Sportrac 2 were OK for most things, but track driving ripped them up. Toyo's were OK. Bridgestone RE070 were phenomenal in the dry but scary in the wet. Vredestein Ultrac (pre-Sessanta) were very good. Hankook have always served me well and are cheap too. I would steer clear of Wanli's though, as a mate of mine ripped the tread off one in under 10 miles.

Hello

Having had "Continental Contact 2" tyres fitted on vehicle when new, on my 2005 Fabia VRS, I replaced with the same type/brand at 15,000 miles on the front.

Still got original tyres on rear 38,800 miles.

However, I got miffed having to fork out at least £180 for 2 tyres on front every 15000 miles, when I took a dramatic step.

At 30,000 miles, I bought 2 of the cheapest and nastiest tyres money could buy, at £72 all in, balance etc.

Reduced road noise, equal grip in wet/dry driving discovered, and will most certainly do the same when rear tread on original tyres reach down to 3mm depth, now at 3.5mm.

I do speed at times, traffic/weather/speed- traps permitting and cannot fault the tyres so far, time will tell.

Can anyone beat or match my 15,000 front tyre changes????

Ian.21/03/2009

I managed to get my Rainsport 2's fairly cheap at £60 each incl fitting at my local tyre place, they always seem to give me a good deal though :) Toyo's seem to get all the fuss and they are a reasonable tyre, but even if you can't find Uniroyal's for a better price they are still worth the few extra quid IMHO.

I've heard nothing but good things about Vreidensteins too but believe they are similar price to Uniroyal's if not more expensive.

has to be the uniroyal's, toyo are too soft!!!!

I put uniroyals on my fabia vrs after 9000 miles from the OEM bridgestones, much better!!!!

they are unbelievable in the wet and are great in the dry. overall very responsive tyre

I had toyo T1-r's on my old MG ZR VVC and they were obismal in the wet(as was the ZR)

its worth spending the little bit extra - GO UNIROYAL