Mk2 1.8 8v golf Engine rebuild

darkwater

Hi I'm looking to help hints and pitfalls before i start this project

I currently own a Mk3 2.0. 8v Anniversary special and i looking for a basic engine build that's not over complicated to play round with.

I have been looking round the threads and found CriscrashTM's engine transplant link one suggestion was changing the bottom end to a 2.0 and use a 8v head , I'm looking for some help ,tips and would this work !

I'm looking to buy a 1.8 8v Mk2 golf with a carburettor set up ( none injection and not interested in adding one ) and was wondering what would be the best way to get the max bhp from that set up ?

Monkeyboy has been great help so far and this is what i have planned....

I'm looking to add a bottom end from a 2.0 8v and i think it was suggested that i use a Mr3 engine block

1 is this correct and will the cylinder head bolts line up with the bolt holes in the engine block ? is there a engine block and cylinder head type that match...? e.g engine head would be a GU, what type of engine block would i need from the Mk3 to line up the bolt holes and piston positions

2 would i use a cylinder head gasket set off the Mr2 for the rebuild ?

3 how much BHP would this give when finished

4 tip on port polishing ( looking to try it )

5 adding a sports cam and new valve springs

This car may never leave the garage unless dragged out by the scrap man but its something i love to try.:D

Mank thanks

if you want to up the output i would suggest using a late crossflow head from a mk4 2.0 8v then fitting twin carbs with a lairy cam..

in reference to your questions on the bolts lining up, yes they do, but if you are using a 2.0 bottom end you will need the 2.0 gasket because they have bigger bores...

you cant use a mk2 head on a mk3 block because the oil drainback slots are different, but you can use a mk3 or a mk4 head on a mk2 block if you weld up one of the oil drain slots..

i hope this makes sense, i would need a bit more detail of the intended combination of head and block before i can offer any more comments

Thanks TeflonTom

Just looking for ideas for my first hands on build and what can /is achieveable for a newbie, so let say i used a crossflow head from a Mk4 2.0 8v and kept the block form the MK2 1.8 ,added twin carbs and a new cam , would i need a new dizzy ? coil ect ect ect ?what kind of output could be reached ? and what type of out lay cash wise we talking about ? ( parts )

Edited by darkwater

you wont need a new dizzy, it's on the front right hand side of the engine block and you could leave that intact and re-use it...

to use a mk4 head on a mk2 block you need to fill in the second drain slot with weld

100_0345.jpg

you might be able to get some of the parts you need from ebay, but the carbs would be the most expensive part, maybe £200-300

Thanks again teflontom

Would the twin carbs fit to the existing inlet manifold ? would i need the inlet manafold fro the MK4 head ? and what type of twin carbs would i be needing ?

I might just add the twin carbs and the cam to start with then add the crossflow head at a later date.

So are we taking a custom manifold here ? or is there a one that can be scavanged form a set Mk and model that i need to be keeping a eye out for.

Would/could there be clearance problems fitting the twin carb ? there aint much room between the bulkhead and the inlet manifold, then there is the servo back there also just to take up more room.

This could be the reason use stated useing a crossflow head.

Is itpossible to get the sidedraughs pointing upwards and sit the carb on the rain try ?

could i use a single 40/45 webber ?

Lots of question sry but im trying to get a good idea of what im needing before i have a car in parts in the garage for months on end ! ( her in doors will be pleased :D)

Edited by darkwater

Thanks for that Bigw2069 ill email them in th morning and see what prices i get :thumbup:

But i have to asks again , is there room back there in the engine bay to fit in the maniflod and twin carbs ? I'd hate to order them them find i have to try and cut a hold/slot in the bulk head to squeez it all in.

Hmm i have been having a poke round on the net and this is looking like a none starter :( i have found a site may stock inlet manifold (many thanks Bigw2069) but it seems there just aint enough room between the bulk head, servo and engine to fit the twin carbs, down draughts have been tryed and bike carbs, but they all need a hole/slot cut out the bulk head and its still a tight squeez.

Plan B time, im now looking at the MK4 crossflow head from a 2.0 8v may be a port polish and liary cam without the twin carbs,would this still need a custom manifold to attach the stardard pierburg/solex2E2 carb ?, has this been done before by a site member ? again is there enough room to add the new head, manifold and carb with out chopping and welding the bulkhead ? ( bonnet work i could handle ) any info help would be a great help.

TeflonTom could you pm me a price for the head with the weld work done ? id like to look into the cost of this build plz.

Is this Project to much for a newbie im i aming to high here ?could be a steep learning curve but if its workable id love to try.

The MK 3 GTI i have i keep on the road by the good grace of the Haynes manual but that's changing like for like parts and is mostly fool proof.

Many thanks for the help so far Teflontom, and the others plz keep it coming.

Darkwater

Edited by darkwater

haha, i'm a bit of a dark horse when it comes to cutting up manifolds and welding them back together to make them fit in a place they shouldn't;)

with the crossflow head, your existing exhaust manifold is a straight fit so there is no clearance issues there, the rocker cover is a straight fit too, the engine will be to all intents and purposes the same, except the intake is on the front, the only bit that might not fit arre the ht leads, they end up at slightly different angles so you may need a couple of slightly longer ones from an audi.

tbh you are going to struggle to fit a pierberg to a crossflow head, all of the oe crossflow mainifolds are designed to have fuel injectors put in them, and are for sidedruaght throttle body, whereas the 2e2 is a downdraught unit...

however if you were going to go that far i'd go for something like thisebay linky it would be fairly easy for a hardcore mentalist welder like me to craft this onto a vw manfiold

Thanks again Teflontom ill may well be taking you up on the weld offer ( at least i think it was a offer ) :thumbup: lol the hole idea of this was for me to try and keep it as basic as poss hence no fuel injectors :eek: but im sitting here scratching my head.

So if i get a crossflow head ill need to get work done on the manifold to be able to attach a carb body, HT leads im not worried about nice to know i can buy them, what about choke cables and throttle cables ? im guessing they may be a problem as they will be to short ?

Again plz keep the info coming, Im getting there but you lot must be sick as a parrot reading this.

i'm not an expert on keihin carbs but i know a man who is:D iirc they have an automatic choke, and you could use the throttle cable from a 1600 mk2 golf... you might need to bodge up a suitable bracket to get it to work though becuase i think the cable has to come from in front of these in between the centre two bores..

as a matter of interest, why so scared of fuel injection?? it's really not that complicated...

anyway, i'm off

Im not scared of fuel injection :cool: well not REALY REALY scared i just find them a pain in the ar*e,

The GTI i have stopped running about 5 weeks ago and after i had replaced the inlet manifold gasket,throttle body gasket , vacum pipe, checked the fuel pump presure ( made sure it came belting out with my thumb presse hard against the open pipe when i turned the engine over:D ) i gave up and bought a cheap fault code reader £ 30.

It turned out to be the engine coolant temp sensor and the crack postion sensor ( aka enigine speed sensor )

I was hoping this was goingt o be a nice easy build to play round with at the weekends and having no ECU to play with and no sensor left right and center was hoping for some nice easy bolt on bolt off machanical fun.

Im a lab tec for my sins and have very limited knowledge of ecu cars. last time i pulled one apart was with my old man 20years ago :eek:

Edited by darkwater

Been doing a bit more research:thumbup: looks like i can get a webber 32/34 dtml twin choke thats a direct replacment for the VW standard carb, fit a 1.8 GTI cam and mrk1 dizzy or pre 86 mark two ( k-jet 8 v from a GTI ) to work with the cam, shave the hedgehog down a few mill for a bit more airflow.

What sort of power output/response could this give ? :rolleyes:

GOOD NEWS

It seems that early GTI 8v's ran K-Jet fuel injection with no ecu and still used a distubutor with a vacum advance for its ignition

Looks like the weber32/34, GTI cam and dizzy build is back on.

Many thanks for all the help over the last few days.