VRS insurance/cruise control advice

I have a 54 plate fabia vrs and got a quote from the local dealer of £150 for cruise control fitted, however, when I asked direct line a while ago (several months) they said I can't modify the car until I'm 25 (Aug 23rd this year). The point is though that cruise control is available as a factory fit option from new and I wouldn't have thought it necessary to declare it if it was bought with it fitted as new. Much like I didn't declare the rain sensitive wipers on my seat ibiza.... Does cruise retrofit require reporting to insurance company? And if people are reporting it did it increase the policy much?

Thanks for any help.

Hey buddy - this is an interesting question. Generally, when you take out insurance one of the questions you are asked is "does the car have any modifications or optional extras which alter it from it's original factory specification?". As yours left the factory without cruise then adding it is most likely going to count as an optional extra rather than a mod - modifications generally affect a cars perfomance (ie - fitting nitrous or a sports exhaust) or make ir more of a target for thieves (ICE or new alloys). Fitting cruise control won't affect your car's performance and is unlikely to make it any more of a target for thieves. You've got two options - fit it and don't tell them or phone them and ask if it's OK. I can't see it making much (if any) difference to your premium personally and if they don't let you fit it that's pretty harsh and I'd be looking for a different insurer when the time comes to renew.

What ICE you got in there man? I've recently gone back to a Fabia after owning an Octy and the sound system in the Fabia is simply awesome in comparison to the one in the Octy, which was so tinny and lacking in bass it was unreal.

As Big Mikey says all policies I've seen ask the question " any mods over factory spec?" and should be declared. Which begs the question, what if I change a standard part to a pattern part? Should we inform the ins. co. if we change a standard exhaust to a pattern part from Kwik Fit as an example or replace an air filter that is not a genuine Skoda part. How trival a mod has to be to notify our ins. co. of changes?

I have asked an insurance broker this question and he explained that " If the mod makes the car more desirable to theives or increases the repair bill for an insurance claim then the insurance co. need to be notified"

As for your ICE/car phone enhancements, most ins. cos. provide an extension clause in their policy allowing upgrades up to say £500/£1000 but you you have to read the policy notes to be sure as each policy will be different.