Boot space

The Plumber

Not sure if anyone else has come across the attached photo but I hope it may answer some questions regard boot space.

If you opt for having a spare wheel rather than the repair kit the floor level will come up just below the sill as I understand it.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More pictures, not the best but they do show the variable loading floor option, which the handbook indicates is fitted with the spare.

So they at least give an idea of the loss in space when the spare is fitted.

My thoughts too. Handbook shows what looks like a normal wheel (sketch) and describes it as a temporary spare wheel R 16.

The inflation pressure however would suggest spacesaver; 420 kPa (4.2 bar).

Note: there is a very shallow well under the carpet.

Edited by The Plumber
bit extra

Not sure if anyone else has come across the attached photo but I hope it may answer some questions regard boot space.

If you opt for having a spare wheel rather than the repair kit the floor level will come up just below the sill as I understand it.

I know its got the raised floor but the boot looks much smaller than I imagined. What's it supposed to be in normal guise? 420 litres?

I know the yeti is a lot shorter than the octy but I didn't expect such a shallow (front to back) boot. Maybe its the photo angle but I don't think you can fit in a bugaboo lengthways which is dissappointing.

I know its got the raised floor but the boot looks much smaller than I imagined. What's it supposed to be in normal guise? 420 litres?

From the Parker's review...

It's also has a decent boot of 405 litres but this can be boosted to 510 litres - around the same as a Volkswagen Passat estate. That's thanks to the clever rear seats that can be individually folded or removed if needed, while the two outer seats can be moved closer to the centre of the car to increase shoulder room by taking the middle seat out. The seats are easy to fold and easily light enough for one person to lift them in and out of the car. With them all out, boot space is boosted to a huge 1,760 litres - more than a Volvo V70.

The Nissan Qashqai has a 410-litre boot for comparison.

It's probably one of those very thin & weedy space saver wheels, that enables you to limp home.

I think I'd prefer that to using that gunk that you put into the tyre, as I've been told correctly or not that once you use it, then you can't get the tyre repaired.

Then again if it's peeing down with rain the gunk in the can maybe preferable.

Thanks to aerofurb and the link to the French forum some new photos.

Lots of interesting stuff on there, maybe SUK should take leaf out of their book in regard to pic's and info.

SUK still showing the Geneva images.:rolleyes:

Went to view the Yeti at Rainworth Skoda this afternoon and was very impressed by it. My big worry had been the room available for a dog cage in the boot area. I was pleasantly surprised when I measured up.

If you decided to take the option of a spare wheel then the deep sill is much reduced by the raised floor to about one inch. With this option, I reckon it would be possible to easily get a cage in and out without great effort. I'd say the largest practical size with the rear seat backs upright, rather than reclined, would be 36 inches wide (38" if you removed the 'curry hooks' from the side rails) 27-29" deep and up to 30" high. Lowering or removing the rear seats would allow for an even greater depth. The ease of removing the seats is unbelievable and adds to the vehicle's versatality as a load carrier.

• 2 weeks later...

When I had a look at the Yeti, I didn't think the boot was that small? Maybe the (reasonably) high floor creates the illusion of lack of space?

Looks like this is a pretty neat arrangement with false boot floor, full size (not slimline) spare and covered cubby holes for tools and other boot stuff that otherwise would need to be kept in a tidy box or similar.

This will be great for everyday motoring with plenty of space for shopping, sports kit bags etc. etc. then ....

.... on the odd occasion whet max space is required, back seats come out, false floor and spare come out, leaving room for the proverbial 'kitchen sink'. Alternatively for 7/8th max space leave the boot floor in and fold the backrest down and you still have a large flat load space.

Getting more interesting every day. :thumbup::rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

My wife has a VW Passat estate, and she wants a new car. So far it has been narrowed down to either an Octavia 4X4 Scout or a Yeti. We have not seen the Yeti yet, living a mere 500Kilometres ( 315miles ) from the nearest dealer. Any opinion form those of you who have seen the Yeti would be appreciated. Which one is the better for the everyday "schoolbus rally"? Considering the occational longer trip. For hollidays we use my Superb II.

I would recommend the Yeti over the Scout, particularly if you are intending to use it as a second car.

Boot space is similar if not slightly better than the Golf V and you get the flexibility of the Roomster rear seat system.

The other thing I like is the excellent view out for both driver and passengers, also the off-road function on the 4x4; might prove useful in winter weather.

• 1 month later...

I'm spoilt coming from an Octavia, but the boot space was a deal breaker for me. If you have (or plan) young kids then a travel cot and pushchair would fill the whole compartment with no space for anything else.

We like family camping trips, and yes we could do it by removing one of the rear seats, but what use is a three seat car on holiday?

Otherwise, I thought the Yeti was excellent (thanks Elmside garage for a good 90 min test drive), but the boot killed it off. I notice you also lose the Octavia's handy side compartments, and the storage compartment to the lower right of the steering wheel (because of the airbag there).

I can't see any reason why the rear overhang couldn't be made 150-200mm more - it would make a big difference, and the rear clearance angle would still be more than adequate.

I might get a Scout once the CR is available, I'm getting tired of the PD racket.

Les.

You may be surprised what actually fits in a smaller boot - though I agree the Yeti boot doesn't look huge.

My current car is the previous generation Subaru Justy, think old shape Suzuki Swift but with a rear diff and full size spare eating into the boot as well. We have packed a Bugaboo + travel cot and all the other baby paraphernalia and even had space for some clothes for us as well. No I couldn't see out of the back window but that's what mirrors are for aren't they?

You are right though - a family camping trip with two little ones would be tricky.

Just to add: had it been 150 - 200mm longer we may well not have ordered. With a footprint all but identical to the Golf my wife was happy (just) that the Yeti is still a 'small' car with respect to parking/narrow lanes etc. Position it closer to say the size of the Qashqai and it loses that appeal.

Edited by weaver

Fab pics...

Not sure vari floor is of much use if space saver tyre installed.

Boot space is obviously a life style thing. I'm happy with my MK5 golf which initially came with space saver, but have since then installed full size spare (225 45 17) and as a result lost 4" in boot height. But this has not caused me a prob.

For my life style and age the Yeti is the biz. Esp so, can Vagcom (VCDS) it when fault finding or setting up / measuring different parameters.

My wife's TT came with the normal can of foam and tyre inflater. I worked out the Golf's space saver would fit the TT. So I modified the TT boot space and was able to install the space saver with no detriment to boot space. It all worked out perfectly. So much so, when she had a blow out 90miles south of Aberdeen on a remote road 4pm on Sunday evening. It was off with the shredded tyre, on with space saver and back on the road.

Just thought I'd add my comments regarding the Yeti boot having been for a test drive and general poke around yesterday at a Skoda dealer.

The dealer had two cars in, one with the space saver and one without. Having looked at both, we decided that going without the space saver might be the better option as it noticeably reduces boot space and if you remove the back seats for a trip to the tip then you have a stepped load area rather than a flat one.

The main reason for going for a spare would be in the event of a puncture that couldn't be repaired with the tin of sealent supplied. In that case you're going to be stuck until the RAC get to you.

It's a tough call, particularly as the cost is small, but I think on balance we're going to go without.

Other than that, the Yeti is very good. We drove a 140 Elegance and were impressed with drive and the ride, though if I'm being picky I would say it wasn't quite as quiet as I was expecting.

We went straight from the Skoda garage to have a look at the Tiguan and I would say the only thing the Tiguan has over the Yeti is a slightly neater (allbeit bland) front end, in all other areas the Yeti wins hands down and a quick check of the specifications shows that with the same engine the Yeti is about 10 to 15% more economical, is in a lower road tax bracket and is much cheaper when specced like for like.

Final result: Yeti 3-1 Tiguan :thumbup:

Just thought I'd add my comments regarding the Yeti boot having been for a test drive and general poke around yesterday at a Skoda dealer.

The dealer had two cars in, one with the space saver and one without. Having looked at both, we decided that going without the space saver might be the better option as it noticeably reduces boot space and if you remove the back seats for a trip to the tip then you have a stepped load area rather than a flat one.

The main reason for going for a spare would be in the event of a puncture that couldn't be repaired with the tin of sealent supplied. In that case you're going to be stuck until the RAC get to you.

It's a tough call, particularly as the cost is small, but I think on balance we're going to go without.

Other than that, the Yeti is very good. We drove a 140 Elegance and were impressed with drive and the ride, though if I'm being picky I would say it wasn't quite as quiet as I was expecting.

We went straight from the Skoda garage to have a look at the Tiguan and I would say the only thing the Tiguan has over the Yeti is a slightly neater (allbeit bland) front end, in all other areas the Yeti wins hands down and a quick check of the specifications shows that with the same engine the Yeti is about 10 to 15% more economical, is in a lower road tax bracket and is much cheaper when specced like for like.

Final result: Yeti 3-1 Tiguan :thumbup:

Agree with you about spare (and Tiguan). Only thing I am concerned about is how the RAC/AA will reach us if we are off-road!

Agree with you about spare (and Tiguan). Only thing I am concerned about is how the RAC/AA will reach us if we are off-road!

I'm sure they'll have helicopters!

Maybe something like this would be suitable:

bond_15.jpg