Boot space

The Plumber

As I said before, to choose the right car, it is best to go with a tick list. Example: One does not buy a TVR for boot space. So if the boot in a Yeti is too small for the buyer's needs - cross the Yeti off the list - simples tsk tsk. Seriously there are a lot of SUVs out there with larger boot volumes. (the Nissan X-Trail for example) Often they are massive Chelsea Tractors selling for equally massive prices. Any car is a compromise and the designer's ideas will not fit everybodys requirements (or budget)

My few years of company cars plus two young children gave exactly this boot space problem. The solution in my case was a camping trailer.

The Yeti gives a very flexible and versatile solution to boot storage with its removable seats BUT as always it is a compromise. You can't have removable seats and children (grandchildren in my case) so I will have a towbar fitted and the camping trailer will be used again.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is of course the option of a roof box as roof rails are standard but you might need a small step ladder to reach it. Also not sure if they are a good idea having seen the aftermath of a roof box breaking up and scattering it's contents down a section of the M5 this last August.

Bill's idea of taking out the middle chair is similar to how we overcame the luggage problem with 4 adults going to Europe for 6 days in my previous Golf V TDI 4motion; we put bags on the middle seat. Having the Yeti's removable chair would have been a bonus.

As a note the Golfs boot was smaller than the Yeti's even with the spare fitted.

I have never been a fan of the roofbox. The hole a SUV makes in the air is big enough without adding to the wind resistance - my view only!! The trailer option slows you down but it will carry more and is waterproof (dustbin liners and gaffer tape - the trailer could be full of water and it does not matter!)

Now two garden chairs and a golf umbrella bolted into the trailer for the grandchildren and I could take all the seats out of the Yeti for the luggage. Fresh air for the kids and peace for me - perfect. (For all paid up members of the NSPCC - I'm only joking - honest!?!)

I must admit the boot space is the one concern I have with the Yeti having been used to an Octavia estate.

However as we onl;y have two children my plan for holidays is to remove the centre rear seat and stick a large bag there instead.

Also don't forget the seats slide forward which does increase the boot space significantly.

That's exactly what we do with the Roomster, but with two big bags! ;-)

I looked at the Yeti in the flesh for the first time today and concluded that the floor level in the Yeti without a spare wheel was pretty comparable to that in the Roomster with a spare. I guess thats the price you pay for a higher back end that won't ground at the start of a steep ascent.

Stuart

• 2 months later...

Hi All - my first post here.

This has been a very useful discussion for me. I am in Australia, where we are expecting the Yeti to arrive in Q3 or Q4 this year. My wife and I have an X-Trail [previous model] at the moment, but have never been happy with it. We had a Zafira previously and enjoyed it, but my wife didn't feel happy with the nose-down front. So I have been researching the options. An MB B-class is one option, although there is still a problem there with the disappearing nose. The new MItusbishi RVR may prove worthy of a look, also the Hyundai ix35. In the meantime, i have been very impressed with what I have read about the Yeti, and the Skoda story inspires me. The Skoda Yeti certainly would not be as bulky as our X-Trail, and much nicer inside, as well as less cumbersome to drive. The one concern I have had is with the Yeti's boot. I have a mobility scooter which has to go in the boot when we travel, along with all the usual cases. Often we have had the X-Trail filled to the window line behind the front seats. Then I came across this discussion, and I learnt something that I did not learn from reading 20+ motoring writer reviews: that is, if you travel with a spare tyre [a must on Australian interstate trips], there is this big step in the floor, and even less boot space than the usually-reported 416/1580/1760 litres. I never saw that reported anywhere!

Thank heaven for forums, and bless you all. I am not sure whether the Yeti can still be on our list, given that problem. Like some others here, i am wishing it was just that little bit bigger, longer, wider: if only it were 4350mm long and/or 1820mm wide :) Then I reflected on what I have seen in Wikipedia in reading about cars in this small-SUV category. Cars like the RAV4 may have been originally smaller than the current Yeti but they grew by degrees to be eventually half a category bigger. In the case of the Toyota, its original length of 4160mm grew to 4230 and then 4600. The Outlander and X-Trail, the Kia Sportage, the Hyundai Tucson, all followed a similar trajectory. So, it hit me: all I have to do is to wait for the next Yeti model! It will be just the right size ;)

Peter

So, it hit me: all I have to do is to wait for the next Yeti model! It will be just the right size ;)

Peter

welcome Peter. I salute yer patience mate. :o It was bad enough waiting 2 months for mine to be built and delivered! :smirk:

I don't know about the other SMOC folks and I'll not deny an element of weirdness here....I'm more attached to my monster than I have been to anything 4wheeled for years.

However as we onl;y have two children my plan for holidays is to remove the centre rear seat and stick a large bag there instead.

Well, The big bag in place of the center rear seat probably also helps separate the offspring from each other ;)

Less chance of combat in the rear seat and a nice place to rest you head sleeping instead of inquiring when we are going to get there?

G'day Peter,

Welcome :beer: , I beleive that a spare is essential but where you are I guess it could be life or death if your stuck with a puncture. One of my concerns is the fitting of a proper full size spare that is exactly identical to the other 4 wheels/tyres. The Plumber here has kindly gone to much trouble to photo a full sized spare in various positions. It looks as though it might squeeze in but sit a little proud. You could go to the dealers when they arrive and ask them to demonstrate.

The other thing to do is to have an outside mounting made up. This could be made in such a way so as not to impose any stress on the rear door and to clear out of the way without hassle. I know that Australia has some of the Worlds greatest 4x4 fabricators and after-market designers for outback travel. I may well have something made up to have the wheel on the back and if I lived where you are I most defiantly would. In fact it would not surprise me in the least that a couple of the top Australian 4x4 after market companies had already started with preliminary designs for such a contraption. Why not pre empt the situation and approach one of these well known companies and discus what your after. Some of the designs not only carry the wheel but spades and fuel cans and practically anything else useful.

If you have not any knowledge of the 4x4 World and don't know what I am talking about, I would be happy to find the WWW of one or two of these for you. It would be a real shame if for the sake of one or two inches that you had to put off buying something that you wanted for years and years until a larger version came around. Hell, we may have run out of diesel by then! :D

Cheers :beer:

I must admit the boot space is the one concern I have with the Yeti having been used to an Octavia estate.

Also don't forget the seats slide forward which does increase the boot space significantly.

Fully agree with your comments. We too had an Octy Estate (and have 2 children) - and (my wife in particular) are concerned about the much smaller boot in our new Yeti (especially as we have the spare tyre with raised floor). I think your plan to take the centre seat is a good idea - and could also help keep our 2 boys from 'battling' each other !

Then I came across this discussion, and I learnt something that I did not learn from reading 20+ motoring writer reviews: that is, if you travel with a spare tyre [a must on Australian interstate trips], there is this big step in the floor, and even less boot space than the usually-reported 416/1580/1760 litres. I never saw that reported anywhere!

Peter

Hi Peter and welcome to the SMOC Forum,

Not sure if you have picked up a link to the UK on-line brochure but within there is a reasonable schematic with dimensions. My link See page 22 (January 2010 brochure).

Boot space with seats up is 416 ltr without spare, 322 with spare.

Seats rolled up (against front seats) 1,580 litr without, 1,485 with

seats removed 1,760 ltr without 1,665 with

With the spare wheel the 'false' floor cover sits just below the boot opening lip so in many ways it's better for sliding objects in or out. The step comes in if you remove the seats totally (from false floor deck to seat well) but leave them in place and fold the seat backs down, then you have almost a flattish load area like on a conventional hatchback.

Have put some photos on flickr My link which may help and within the forum aerofurb has also posted some excellent boot photo's.

hope that helps

Regards,

TP

The boot floor area is small but the boot is deep. You need to stack the luggage to fit it all in.

It is no good talking about taking the seats out. Anyone with a family. In my case it is two grandchildren and, although they are no longer babies and require less luggage, it is still a matter of piling all their stuff in.

When we do our major shop, we use the boot, back seats and the rear floor. (Eat less! The Yeti will have its own slimming DVD!!)

I am sure that a mobility scooter would fit in BUT the room for luggage would be limited.

G'day Peter,

Welcome :beer: , I beleive that a spare is essential but where you are I guess it could be life or death if your stuck with a puncture. One of my concerns is the fitting of a proper full size spare that is exactly identical to the other 4 wheels/tyres. The Plumber here has kindly gone to much trouble to photo a full sized spare in various positions. It looks as though it might squeeze in but sit a little proud. You could go to the dealers when they arrive and ask them to demonstrate.

The other thing to do is to have an outside mounting made up. This could be made in such a way so as not to impose any stress on the rear door and to clear out of the way without hassle. I know that Australia has some of the Worlds greatest 4x4 fabricators and after-market designers for outback travel. I may well have something made up to have the wheel on the back and if I lived where you are I most defiantly would. In fact it would not surprise me in the least that a couple of the top Australian 4x4 after market companies had already started with preliminary designs for such a contraption. Why not pre empt the situation and approach one of these well known companies and discus what your after. Some of the designs not only carry the wheel but spades and fuel cans and practically anything else useful.

If you have not any knowledge of the 4x4 World and don't know what I am talking about, I would be happy to find the WWW of one or two of these for you. It would be a real shame if for the sake of one or two inches that you had to put off buying something that you wanted for years and years until a larger version came around. Hell, we may have run out of diesel by then! :D

Cheers :beer:

Thanks for your thoughts - and the beer, Anthony :D Just a thought; wouldn't a heavy wheel hanging off the back of a short vehicle muck around with the weight balance?

Edited by PMinAU

Thanks for your thoughts - and the beer, Anthony :D Just a thought; wouldn't a heavy wheel hanging off the back of a short vehicle muck around with the weight balance?

No, I do not beleive so. Were not talking about a huge heavy 4x4 wheel and tyre, one of my off road vehicles wheel/tyre weighs in at 10 stone and hangs on the rear door, the Yeti/wheel tyre is only very small just like many other normal cars and weighs little. The bear was on me. :rofl:

I don't know about the other SMOC folks and I'll not deny an element of weirdness here....I'm more attached to my monster than I have been to anything 4wheeled for years.

You may be worried about this but I agree with you, scunjee - so I must be as wierd as you...! emoticon-0124-worried.gif

Welcome, Peter. Looks like the SMOC has gone as global as warming now we have a potential down-under member!

My boot pictures (with spare wheel option) are here:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/144075-yeti-forum-members-picture-thread/page__st__60

You may be worried about this but I agree with you, scunjee - so I must be as wierd as you...! emoticon-0124-worried.gif

Welcome, Peter. Looks like the SMOC has gone as global as warming now we have a potential down-under member!

My boot pictures (with spare wheel option) are here:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/144075-yeti-forum-members-picture-thread/page__st__60

Thanks aerofurb, Surprised to be the first from down here. We're usually quick to join forums. Your pics were very enlightening. Well done.

Couple of Questions:

Did that gear [side pockets etc.] come with the spare wheel, or did you have to craft it yourself?

Has anyone posted shots of spacesaver wheel, to compare?

Regards

Peter

Today is the first chance that I've had to take a look at the Skoda Yeti. I'm sorry to say that the boot size is one of the key factors that rules it out straight away for me, as a family man.

To be honest if the Yeti was 20% cheaper or 20% bigger in size, I think more may look beyond the compromised boot space, rear leg room and 'marmite' love it or hate it looks! However, with these factors as they are, market appeal is going to be restricted and value retention will be poor. A 170 Elegence could soon be spec'd to £24K or £25K, I'd be interested to see what it would fetch after 3 or 4 years?? I'm quite a Skoda loyalist, however as much as I tried to like the Yeti today I was left thinking is it worth all these compromises.....just to get quirky 4 wheel drive??

Thanks aerofurb, Surprised to be the first from down here. We're usually quick to join forums. Your pics were very enlightening. Well done.

Couple of Questions:

Did that gear [side pockets etc.] come with the spare wheel, or did you have to craft it yourself?

Has anyone posted shots of spacesaver wheel, to compare?

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

aerofurbs photo's show the components of the spare wheel package:

Spare wheel 195/60 R16 (sometimes referred to as a space-saver as it's smaller than the standard wheel)

Tool kit - jack, wrench etc.

Three polystyrene storage boxes (two fixed to the boot floor, one removable to access the toolbox underneath)

False boot floor hardback cover with fold over edges for access to the polystyrene storage boxes (front edge fixed to the two storage boxes secured to the floor).

Note spare wheel package not designed to be removed but could be if necessary.

Regards,

TP

Hi Peter,

Spare wheel 195/60 R16 (sometimes referred to as a space-saver as it's smaller than the standard wheel)

Tool kit - jack, wrench etc.

Three polystyrene storage boxes (two fixed to the boot floor, one removable to access the toolbox underneath)

False boot floor hardback cover with fold over edges for access to the polystyrene storage boxes (front edge fixed to the two storage boxes secured to the floor).

Regards,

TP

Like what he said! Thanks TP!

grobster

I have yet to meet anyone or read any write-up/test that has anything but praise for the Yeti - looks, value for money, build quality or otherwise.

Retained value? Not sure how you know it 'will be poor'. No one will know how much they are worth when 3 years old for another 2.5 years. Personally, that isn't a massive concern to me - not that I want to lose big money but I didn't buy it as an investment. A friend of mine bought a one-owner Cayenne froma Porsche main dealer. 3 years old, 25,000 miles and £23k - original invoice price (supplied with the paperwork) was somewhere around £70k. I can never lose that much on my SM and it looks so much better than a Cayenne!

'Quirky 4 wheel drive'? Not sure anyone has said that about an Audi Quattro and in the recent extreme (for the UK) weather it certaily proved itself superbly.

And I'm not biased at all.... emoticon-0105-wink.gif

Like what he said! Thanks TP!

grobster

I have yet to meet anyone or read any write-up/test that has anything but praise for the Yeti - looks, value for money, build quality or otherwise.

Retained value? Not sure how you know it 'will be poor'. No one will know how much they are worth when 3 years old for another 2.5 years. Personally, that isn't a massive concern to me - not that I want to lose big money but I didn't buy it as an investment. A friend of mine bought a one-owner Cayenne froma Porsche main dealer. 3 years old, 25,000 miles and £23k - original invoice price (supplied with the paperwork) was somewhere around £70k. I can never lose that much on my SM and it looks so much better than a Cayenne!

'Quirky 4 wheel drive'? Not sure anyone has said that about an Audi Quattro and in the recent extreme (for the UK) weather it certaily proved itself superbly.

And I'm not biased at all.... emoticon-0105-wink.gif

Hi aero,

chap came over to speak to me today while giving the Monster a bit of a wash.

He just wanted to say how very much he liked the car and to ask if it was 4wd and a new model. Went on further to say how much Skoda had come on over the past few years and hadn't they had the last laugh over the rest of the motor industry. :) :) :)

TP

.....just to get quirky 4 wheel drive??

Why is it a quirky 4 wheel drive?

Firstly it uses a Haldex system that is used by everyone from VAG to Land Rover, and has been proved to be very succesful.

Secondly, have you realised that they are not all 4 wheel drive? Some are front wheel drive only!

Hi Peter,

ene storage boxes (front edge fixed to the two storage boxes secured to the floor).

Regards,

TP

Thanks TP and others

Great to have this information, even though it may not be what I wanted to hear :(

I must say that this will be problem in OZ, regardless of what an individual such as I may do. The thought of a 4WD coming without a spare in Australia is just a no-no. Would make it the butt of jokes about "pretend 4WDs". The 2WD model might get away with it, but even then I doubt it. So the compromised boot space then comes into play when people look at load-carrying capacity. I must say that this is a real disappointment to me, to find this out without it being pointed out by any of the journo's whose reviews I had read (not that my personal view is either here or there). Can anyone tell me, is it the same with the Roomster, that it comes with no spare, or is the quoted boot space with spare in the case of the Roomster?

Peter

Edited by PMinAU

It seems to be a bit of a trend with some European manufacturers. Cars always had spares until a short while ago. Some manufacturers, with some of their cars, offered space savers. Then someone must have spotted a loophole in law and decided that we do not need one at all. BMW took on the Run Flat Tyre, supposedly puncture resistant or at any rate had side walls so stiff that it did not matter anyway. Obviously BMW directors do not use them because they are so stiff that they are useless on the road and are the cause of much controversy. I am not sure who else does not supply them but Skoda have started deleting the spare. They then have the cheek to say that one can buy a so called "Full Sized Spare" as an extra which is not full sized at all, being little over the size of a space saver anyway. They must have some Irish comedians on their board in Skoda! Warning signs are given about not exceeding the reduced speed when fitted!

I am sue that with the spare tyre being so important Down Under that you will perhaps get a real full sized spare. I am not buying one with my new Yeti, I shall buy a real full sized alloy wheel and tyre separately and then construct a floor for my self out of plywood or have a Wheel Mounting made up for the rear of the car so it will look like many 4x4 vehicles on our roads.

It is a shame that the boot was not a bit bigger but there it is, one has to accept it or not or perhaps move around it. I think that the Yeti has been designed for a younger clientèle than seems to be the case of ownership. At least that is what it seems to me on this forum, most of us appear to be past the first flush of youth. (someone will complain about that and have the moderators clap me in irons) :giggle:

Good luck with your deliberations Pete, wait until it arrive on your shores and give it a look over. In all other respects it is a very good car, I would say excellent. Most cars are a compromise in one way or another,it is just a case if one can live with the comprises that the Yeti presents or those of some other vehicle or not. :D

Why is it a quirky 4 wheel drive?

Firstly it uses a Haldex system that is used by everyone from VAG to Land Rover, and has been proved to be very succesful.

Secondly, have you realised that they are not all 4 wheel drive? Some are front wheel drive only!

Perhaps people are defensively mis-interpreting my meaning of a 'Quirky' 4 wheel drive. I'm not refering to it as having a quirky 4 wheel drive 'system'. I'm referring more to the role/niche which the Yeti is hoping to fill in the market.

Edited by grobster