Halfords Rain Repellent - Milky Smears

martinch

Hi all,

Whilst reading one of Baker21's detailing articles, I saw he'd used Halfords Rain Repellent on the windscreen - I'd never really heard of anything like it, but it sounded interesting, so I thought I'd try some. After applying it, rain seems to bead on the glass a lot more, and shifts more easily (it's actually catapulted off the sides if you use the wipers to clear the windscreen whilst stationary!!), however, when you use the wipers, it creates a slight "milky" smear along the wiper path, which lasts for about 10s or so before clearing (note - this only occurs when using the wipers - it's fine otherwise). I was just wondering, is this normal, or have I done something wrong? The windscreen was prepared with Halfords Intensive Glass Cutter first, so it should have been clean. I'm not sure how clean the wipers are, as when they're "at rest", they tuck under the bonnet and you can't get to them easily.

Any ideas?

Sorry, I should have said in my post that (as everyone testing something new should do), I didn't apply it to my car, but one belonging to a relative (non-Skoda), where you can't do that. To clean them, you basically need to remove the wiper blade, as you can lift the arm a whole 2" whilst in the "rest" position. I'll see if I can give them a clean tonight - was just wondering if that's the cause, or if it's normal (the owner wouldn't be able to cope with that).

Hi all,

Whilst reading one of Baker21's detailing articles, I saw he'd used Halfords Rain Repellent on the windscreen - I'd never really heard of anything like it, but it sounded interesting, so I thought I'd try some. After applying it, rain seems to bead on the glass a lot more, and shifts more easily (it's actually catapulted off the sides if you use the wipers to clear the windscreen whilst stationary!!), however, when you use the wipers, it creates a slight "milky" smear along the wiper path, which lasts for about 10s or so before clearing (note - this only occurs when using the wipers - it's fine otherwise). I was just wondering, is this normal, or have I done something wrong? The windscreen was prepared with Halfords Intensive Glass Cutter first, so it should have been clean. I'm not sure how clean the wipers are, as when they're "at rest", they tuck under the bonnet and you can't get to them easily.

Any ideas?

Nice to see my details are useful.........:thumbup:

From my side I would say this is normal and it's never bothered me, I rarely use the wipers now unless in heavy rain as I would rather it just bead off the windscreen but mine to 'fogs' for a few seconds and then clears.

I have found that glass cleaner after an application of Rain Repellent helps reduce the 'fog' time.......:o

Think you need to take it off, really really clean the windscreen (Halfords glass cutter etc) then re-apply and only a thin layer.

I did go over the windscreen with their "Intensive Glass Cutter" first, so it was totally clean. I was just a little lazy cleaning the wipers because they're such a pain - I removed them last night and cleaned them with vinegar, but it doesn't seem to have helped (if anything, it's a little worse now - takes longer to clear, and they "judder" on the glass). I did use only a fine mist over it, although I think I left the first layer a little too long to dry (it "hazed" in under a minute) - it still buffed clear after the (directed) second coat, though.

Nice to see my details are useful.........:thumbup:

Yeah, they're a little OTT compared to what I'd do (probably due to time constraints ;)), but an interesting read, none-the-less, and great results! :D

From my side I would say this is normal and it's never bothered me, I rarely use the wipers now unless in heavy rain as I would rather it just bead off the windscreen but mine to 'fogs' for a few seconds and then clears.

I guess I'll have to remove it then. :( It's necessary to use the wipers to clear the initial water (it doesn't seem to work below about 40mph), and owner really doesn't like it fogging (I saw it today and it was pretty bad).

I have found that glass cleaner after an application of Rain Repellent helps reduce the 'fog' time.......:o

Might have to try that before I try to get it completely off...

and they "judder" on the glass.

Try wiping the wiper rubber with the rain repellant on a cloth...should find this stops the judder.

As or the hazing/smearing it may sound odd but try another layer of rain repellant, process would be to wash the screen as you would normally, dry then apply another layer of rain repellant, leave to haze for 5-10mins, spray water on the screen with a garden type mist spray bottle and buff with kitchen towel or similar absorbant towel:D