Car dithering about - geo?

Keefe

Lately my car has developed a very unnerving tendancy to dither about on the road whenever i'm driving it. Not massive movement in the steering wheel, but there is no feel through it at all, feels like the tyres are not on the road surface (though clearly they are)

Could this be the result of poor geometry, It hasn't been set since the coilovers went on, or is it something more serious?

Tyres all look good and are up to pressure equally.

Mine seems to do this as well, almost feels like the rear of the car is drifting out side-to-side slightly. I see that you have coilovers, mine is standard so might be something different. I'm sure on that mine is something to do with the ARB (or lack of on the rear).

I get this with new tyres as well inflated to the correct pressure on the standard 17" wheels.

Yeah, it's really not a good feeling at all.

Although you say you haven't got coilovers, I still have my reservations that mine are installed absolutely correctly.

Can anyone shed light on something? The metal cups that sit in the engine bay above the rubber top mounts, should you be able to turn them by hand (bearing in mind the whole shaft and nut turns with it) or should it be locked solid?

Because one side does one and one does the other...

Yeah, it's really not a good feeling at all.

Although you say you haven't got coilovers, I still have my reservations that mine are installed absolutely correctly.

Can anyone shed light on something? The metal cups that sit in the engine bay above the rubber top mounts, should you be able to turn them by hand (bearing in mind the whole shaft and nut turns with it) or should it be locked solid?

Because one side does one and one does the other...

Hmm well it's not something I've tried so I can't be sure. But in theory yes you can turn the metal stops. If it's put together correctly, they would essentially become part of the damper rod if you know what I mean. So by turning the stop when the vehicle is on the floor, you're just turning the damper rod. The springs would normally stop this happening, but on coilovers the spring ends are finnished and flat, so as you rotate the rod, the springs could in theory spin on their spring platforms.

So maybe you can rotate one because it's just cleaner than the other and not sticking as you're forcing it around.

Or maybe the strut top bearing is nakkered on one side, stopping the strut from rotating independently of the rubber top mount. Or possibly the inner collar nut is missing, making the metal stop to sit lower (you'd visually notice this height drop) and contact the rubber top mount, adding resistance to turning.

It could be nothing and just that one spring spins more readily than the other. Were new bearings and top mounts used in the install?

Back on topic.... My car had a lose and wandering sensation on the motorway when the wishbone rear bushes were totally dead. Both sides had ripped clean through, allowing the wishbones to move about more than they should. Very easy to check if you put the car on full lock and get a flash photo of the tops of the bushes.

Sorted the tops this weekend, that's all fine. My wandering problem persists :(

I definately think something has worn out somewhere, bush etc but don't know where! Took pics of front wishbones and the bushes all look good. Need to look at it in good light but never get time. Quite annoying as i was hoping the front bushes would be visibly shot and a fix become obvious (new bones)

Maybe i need to look at the rear now :( ho-hum