Help me choose a Hillclimb/Track day vehicle

PastyBoy

Morning Esteemed Briskodians (and Babs if he's reading)

Following yesterdays failed attempts to raise this thread when the 504 issues hit I hope this time it works correctly.

(Oh and if a Mod feels like deleting the now clsed empty threads it would be much appreciated)

After years of being a spectator a couple of track days this year has been enough for me to decide to get into competitive motorsport in 2010.

After investigating entry level circuit racing, I quickly realised that the deep full pockets required were very incompatible with my short arms however hillclimbing and sprints appear to allow next to standard road spec cars to enter with very few .

Now i need help choosing a suitable vehicle

Likely clases for entering would be either:

A1 - Road Going Production Series up to 1400cc

(2009 competitors 106 Rallye & an original Mini Copper)

A2 - Road Going Production Series over 1400cc up to 2000cc

(2009 competitors Elise 111S's, Renault 5 Gordini Turbo's, & an S2000)

C1 - Modified Limited Production Cars up to 1400cc

(2009 competitors Austin Minis, 205's, & a Daihatsu Charade GTi)

C2 - Modified Limited Production Cars over 1400cc up to 2000cc

(2009 competitors MG TF, Elise, 205 GTi's, XR2, Astra GSI,)

I have enquired about where my Fabia would be eligible; although competing in my only car would worry me.

Even though it would probably be less risky than doing a track day i guess.

I was thinking of something a few years old, cheap to buy, insurance and tax, (talking sub £1500 all in!)

Easy to repair with cheap parts, and reliable enough to be left for weeks between events.

Speed and agility would obviously help!!

VAG would also be useful as my VW trained mechanic cousin could then provide "family rates" pit crew support!

Current vehicles for consideration are:

Mark 1 or 2 Golf GTi

Mid 90's Polo

Ford Ka

Fabia 1.2

Mid 90's Nissan Mirca

or Fiesta 1.6 Si (only cos there is one locally that's dirt cheap) a Polo GTI, 106 GTi, or Seat Ibiza Cupra/GTi so i could do track days too

Any thoughts apprecitated

Thanks in advance

Cliff

• Like 2

Of course I'm reading it! :rofl:

Mk1 and Mk2 Golf GTI's are expensive for decent ones, but it all depends how flexible your budget is. £2000 will get you a very tidy 8v, whereas £1000 will get a you a tatty 16v. 16v's are quick, too!

For an "all in" price, an 8v GTI would be my idea, cheap set of coilovers, cheap bucket (1 of!) and strip everything from it!

I'm considering the same, albeit with a Felicia :)

• Like 1

I'm a mod on the Micra Sport Club and a few people on there have made rally cars out of the 1.4 engine K11 model. the 1.3 is really 1275cc and without a turbo can go around 110bhp.

I was actually very tempted by a mid 90's Micra, my mum had a 1.4 one for a while and for what it was it absolutely flew!. B)

They seem to have plummeted in price as well, with some high mileage ones going for a couple of hundred quid.

I wait with baited breath for answers from the organisers about what modifications would be allowed in class A1 and shall browse Micra Sport in anticipation :thumbup:

Edited by PastyBoy

if you want to run the Fabia, you need to ask the organiser whether there is a specific diesel class, otherwise you will end up in the over 2 Ltr class, as i think they still multiply your engine cc by 1.4 because your engine has a turbo

old Minis are ok, but finding a good one nowadays is hard, 106 Pugs are ok, but very back endy, so don't lift off too quick, original Suzuki swifts were ok, but as with the Minis hard to find, Citroen AX GT weigh nothing, but will be hard to find again, Nova/Corsa 1.4 might be worth a try

Polo GTI takes you up into the 1.4-2.0 litre class, as will anything 1600 cc, so you might as well go to 1800 to 2000, Pug 205/309 gti 1900cc, but hard to find, Golf GTis etc, Astra GSi

ideally you want something light/nimble/tuneable with plenty of aftermarket tuners making parts for it

Mk3 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T, for price vs. performance.

Was thinking Caterfield route too, but perhaps not for the budget! Natural ability in both disciplines though of course...

Otherwise yeah, the other suggestions sound good - like the Micra one for the reasonable motor you'll end up with.

i would echo what babs said,i wouldn't go for a mk1 as a good one will be way over budget,the mk 2 would be a good bet tho,and service items are VERY cheap,which when tracking a car on a budget needs to be taken into account,my mk2 is a very straight no rust 16v,and it was 2k,a good 8v could be had in your budget and would probably provide just as much fun,or maybe a 320 e30/e36 beemer? they are getting cheap now alltho they will probably be very thirsty.

my first car was an xr2i ace car, litle pocket rocket. pick them up for less than 500 for a 92-94 car. power to weight was very good as well. rip the seats out, some fast road pads, give her aservice and of you go.

plus should something break they are insanely cheap to get parts for, alot of perfomance mods available to

oooh a Starlet - hadn't thought of that. Although the turbo ones seem to demand stupid money.

What about a 1.4 Fabia Sport?! actual cpacity 1390cc so keeps the lower class - upgrade with VRS bits job done? :yes:

Still no response from the HSA to my questions and you can't post on their forum to ask their memebrs without being a member yourself, which costs £60! :o

Might try and get in touch with local motos club or local championships rather than starting national.

Friend of a friend who hill climbs a TVR is probably first port of call :thumbup:

The N/A UK Starlets are sub 1400cc mate

A real giggle.

There is a stunning "Sportif" on Autotrader for little under £700

In a stunning shade of pink with silver stars stuck on in key places and a glorious set of 3 spoke alloy wheels :giggle:

What about a 1.4 Fabia Sport?! actual cpacity 1390cc so keeps the lower class - upgrade with VRS bits job done? :yes:

With others on that. My 1.4 16v (100bhp, think they did a 75 in the sport) isn't great at hills in general. Very little torque (~90lb/ft I think) and a lot of weight), better off with something lighter IMO.

Still almost sold on a Micra

There's an SR on Autotrader for just over £600! :thumbup:

Have also seen a couple of tidy looking Fiestas in my price range too.

Althoguh i did consider pushing the budget and stretching to a 1.4 Puma....???

There's even a Cat C one with no Tax or Tax for £500!! :)

Still awaiting answers from Championship organisers about the boring stuff before i can hit the forecourts :thumbdown:

What about a Yaris (stop laughing)

slightly out of budget but i remember the 1.3 SR ones getting quite good reviews.

Might be a little top heavy not quite agile enough though.....

this is a tough business this buying of cars!

lol maybe not a Yaris although it would be fun to squeeze a top spec Celica engine in there.

(the same with a Honda Jazz and an S2000 lump!)

the 106 Rallye Register seems to have loads for sale where the other avenues fail!

although they do still demand a fair price :thumbdown:

Micra FTW! :D