How comfy are you finding the seats?

prodata

I'm close to taking the plunge to ordering a CR170 Yeti (maybe to be a CR200) but my one remaining concern is driving comfort. (Not to say that I don't have other quibbles with the Yeti but I've come to terms with those. But driving comfort is something different - if every time you set out on a longer (eg 2-3 hour journey) you end up with sore hip/knee joints or an aching back then it starts to become a major problem.)

This is one of the big issues that I've found on testing the Yeti on a couple of occasions. There's no doubt that the lateral support on the standard (or leather) is poor and I've always struggled to feel properly comfortable in terms of driving position overall. But I can't decide whether this discomfort is just simply down to unfamiliarity and that with regular use I'd be able to find a seat/driving position that was at least OK for longer trips.

So, all you Yeti owners with several weeks of experience under your belts: how do you honestly rate seating comfort now? Are you completely satisfied? Have you maybe been able to find a reliably comfortable position after some trial and error? Or is it an aspect of the Yeti that you're having second thoughts over?

I'm close to taking the plunge to ordering a CR170 Yeti (maybe to be a CR200) but my one remaining concern is driving comfort. (Not to say that I don't have other quibbles with the Yeti but I've come to terms with those. But driving comfort is something different - if every time you set out on a longer (eg 2-3 hour journey) you end up with sore hip/knee joints or an aching back then it starts to become a major problem.)

This is one of the big issues that I've found on testing the Yeti on a couple of occasions. There's no doubt that the lateral support on the standard (or leather) is poor and I've always struggled to feel properly comfortable in terms of driving position overall. But I can't decide whether this discomfort is just simply down to unfamiliarity and that with regular use I'd be able to find a seat/driving position that was at least OK for longer trips.

So, all you Yeti owners with several weeks of experience under your belts: how do you honestly rate seating comfort now? Are you completely satisfied? Have you maybe been able to find a reliably comfortable position after some trial and error? Or is it an aspect of the Yeti that you're having second thoughts over?

I am quite happy with the seating. There are lots of adjustments. The longest drive was three hours with no problems.

I had a little difficulty initially, as the Octy had very good lateral support, but the Yeti seating does fit the style of vehicle and drivng once you get "unused" to what you came from.

The only beef I have with the Yeti driving position is the diameter of the steering wheel. If you are relatively tall, the rim cuts off a bit of the top of the instruments. The steering wheel is a re-use of the Octy/Superb and Fabia wheel - All identical, where the Yeti's should have been another inch larger in diameter. Not a big deal, but a shame nevertheless.

Edited by Agerbundsen

We've done a run up to Shropshire and back which must have been a good 5 hours each way, on fairly twisty A-roads, and it took my wife over 5 hours to drive the 26 miles back from work on Monday! And I think we would agree that, although they lack the support of a sports-type seat, they are generally very comfortable. I would probably say they are at least as good as the XF - and on my previous X-Type, the bolstered sport seats were almost too much. The lumbar support adjustment is useful. We also had the issue with being able to see the speedometer but have managed to find a position which suits both of us. However it would have been better to have a larger speedo in the middle, maybe with the Mercedes-Benz idea of the trip computer readout inside the speed dial. And calibrations every 10mph instead of 20.

Mark

The weather hasn't been ideal for long trips so far, so most of my 400 miles have been short journeys. Tomorrow I've got a 100 mile trip each way for turkey on a mix of motorway and A roads so will report back then. Certainly my 4 1/2, 16 mile journey the other evening in the snow did not result in any discomfort - I felt no desire to jump out at the end. I'm not sure I would want leather seats without heating this time of year!

PS I've not got a problem with viewing all of the instruments (it's a close call though) and as for the speedo markings - 20 and 40mph are clearly marked and putting the needle between the two (ie at 30mph!) seems to work fine. Much of it is familiarity with the kit I think.

Edited by aerofurb

I have run the trip to and from Manchester twice now. (120 miles each way - 2 hr 20 min) I find the SE cloth seats very comfortable and I find that I am less tired by the trip now than I was in the X-Trail. It is easy to find a relaxing driving position except that I need to have the seat in a lower position than I like to see under the rear view mirror. I wish I could unstick the d**n thing and stick it higher on the windscreen but a mesh screen gets in the way.

To be honest, I find the Yeti door mirrors small and unsatisfactory. There is no second angle to give a wider view, especially on the rear offside quarter, so changing lane on the motorway is made more difficult. Poor design!!

Edited by Terfyn

It is interesting your observations about the wing mirror. they have to comply with law I understand regarding size but perhaps they just either stick to the limit or he prescriptions for the mirrors need changing! I guess because you are unhappy with the rear view mirror also that it might be worth your while having a look at rear view cameras and stick the flat panel TV monitor where it is most convenient for you. I could think of a number of places where the cameras might give useful images. These things can usually see in poor light or even dark.

I have run the trip to and from Manchester twice now. (120 miles each way - 2 hr 20 min) I find the SE cloth seats very comfortable and I find that I am less tired by the trip now than I was in the X-Trail. It is easy to find a relaxing driving position except that I need to have the seat in a lower position than I like to see under the rear view mirror. I wish I could unstick the d**n thing and stick it higher on the windscreen but a mesh screen gets in the way.

To be honest, I find the Yeti door mirrors small and unsatisfactory. There is no second angle to give a wider view, especially on the rear offside quarter, so changing lane on the motorway is made more difficult. Poor design!!

It is interesting your observations about the wing mirror. they have to comply with law I understand regarding size but perhaps they just either stick to the limit or he prescriptions for the mirrors need changing.

I take your point. However the area of the X-Trail mirrors are about twice those of the Yeti plus the driver's mirror had the last third angled to give a better view of the offside quarter.

Most 4x4s seem to have mirrors that would not look out of place on a lorry - the Yeti is an exception. I expect it has more to do with the aesthetics of the design. In any case it would be possible to strap on a couple of towing mirrors without upsetting the law.

A rear view camera is an option but, again, the design would preclude an external one as the aerodynamics of the rear end provides the perfect path for all the salty crud to be deposited on the tailgate. (I have washed the tailgate down 6-7 times already in this shortish cold spell)

PS I've not got a problem with viewing all of the instruments (it's a close call though) and as for the speedo markings - 20 and 40mph are clearly marked and putting the needle between the two (ie at 30mph!) seems to work fine. Much of it is familiarity with the kit I think.

It's not a major problem - the XF has figures at 30, 50, etc. but the Passat has the same cluster and manages every 10mph withough being cluttered. As you say, you get used to it - like the anticlockwise tacho and weirdly-calibrated manifold pressure gauge on the Franklin-engined Rallye I used to fly.

The main issue with swapping between XF and Yeti is remembering not to put the key back in my pocket after I've unlocked it (too cheapskate to go for keyless entry)!

It is interesting your observations about the wing mirror. they have to comply with law I understand regarding size but perhaps they just either stick to the limit or he prescriptions for the mirrors need changing.

I take your point. However the area of the X-Trail mirrors are about twice those of the Yeti plus the driver's mirror had the last third angled to give a better view of the offside quarter.

Most 4x4s seem to have mirrors that would not look out of place on a lorry - the Yeti is an exception. I expect it has more to do with the aesthetics of the design. In any case it would be possible to strap on a couple of towing mirrors without upsetting the law.

A rear view camera is an option but, again, the design would preclude an external one as the aerodynamics of the rear end provides the perfect path for all the salty crud to be deposited on the tailgate. (I have washed the tailgate down 6-7 times already in this shortish cold spell)

Your right, styling rules everything. The X Type has a slightly greater leaning to the great outdoors and more emulates proper off road machines, hence the more useful mirrors. Their is little worse then reversing on a trackway in the rain, bigger mirrors are much more of an aid.

The rear of the Yeti closely resembles a commercial vehicle being so usefully flat and vertical so it is reasonable to expect the back to get covered. It most probably need some sort of spoiler to detach he airflow. I often fancied trying one of those deflectors that caravan tow cars use, a bit extreme and over the top maybe but I think that the angle can be played with. Might create plenty of down force, he, he! I guess that more moderate stylized wings or deflectors are available, it does not have to resemble a Formula 1 or Can-Am race car. A Yeti with a Wale-Tail might start a cult. Some of the cameras are very small and desecrate perhaps one could either be mounted on top of or under the wing mirror or under a tail or small airfoil.

I am probably completely mad, driven by having a 5 year old daughter bouncing around opening what farther christmas stuffed in her stocking very late last night or early this morning, :giggle::rofl::rock:

For the short time I had the car I found the seats comfortable and supportive even under pretty extreme cornering. As we will be choosing an elegance they will be leather and easily cleaned necessary because of all the muck here. I have been told by her who must be obeyed that they will be the mushroom coloured ones and not the black as we are not in morning! B):rofl:

Edited by Anthony 1

Your right, styling rules everything. The X Type has a slightly greater leaning to the great outdoors and more emulates proper off road machines, hence the more useful mirrors. Their is little worse then reversing on a trackway in the rain, bigger mirrors are much more of an aid.

The rear of the Yeti closely resembles a commercial vehicle being so usefully flat and vertical so it is reasonable to expect the back to get covered. It most probably need some sort of spoiler to detach he airflow. I often fancied trying one of those deflectors that caravan tow cars use, a bit extreme and over the top maybe but I think that the angle can be played with. Might create plenty of down force, he, he! I guess that more moderate stylized wings or deflectors are available, it does not have to resemble a Formula 1 or Can-Am race car. A Yeti with a Wale-Tail might start a cult. Some of the cameras are very small and desecrate perhaps one could either be mounted on top of or under the wing mirror or under a tail or small airfoil.

I am probably completely mad, driven by having a 5 year old daughter bouncing around opening what farther christmas stuffed in her stocking very late last night or early this morning, :giggle::rofl::rock:

For the short time I had the car I found the seats comfortable and supportive even under pretty extreme cornering. As we will be choosing an elegance they will be leather and easily cleaned necessary because of all the muck here. I have been told by her who must be obeyed that they will be the mushroom coloured ones and not the black as we are not in morning! B):rofl:

We have similar problems around here. Not as extreme as yourself as most of the reversing is on metalled roads and not tracks. The problem is keeping an eye on the ditches or walls that are not more than 2ft away from the wheels. Tractors with trailers or towing farm machinery are the biggest hazard as they cannot be expected to reverse more than afew feet. I have had to reverse over 1/4 mile on occasion and it's hard work!! So good wing or door mirrors are essential. Pity the auto park cannot be used to reverse up narrow lanes but the picture on the Bolero screen is very useful for seeing which wall is closing in!

Your choice of seat colour is personal. All I can say after seven years use, my cream coloured X-Trail seats looked grubby. (See the Pant Waen garage web site under used cars)They were comfortable but needed heating in the winter and got sticky when I was wearing shorts!?!

My preference would be the cloth seats with a seat cover for rough use. This was my formula when camping or sailing.

Tell my wife about the dirty seats :giggle: would prefer an all black interior including the headlining with only red illumination for instruments. Not sure about what the Yeti instrument colour is. I like leather not keen on seat covers. I love the aroma, its a fetish thing :p :rofl:

Stone walls, yes they can make a mess, we have plenty of walls here also but the North Wales ones have more naked stone on display ours tend to be camouflaged with grass.

It is just one of those things, reversing here too for very long distances not only for agricultural tractor trailer units but it is amazing just how many people ( read women (sexist I know)) some do not even see the pull ins that they have just passed. Often it is faster just to do the work one self unless I am feeling bloody minded. That happens if I have time on my hands and I see no attempt on the other persons half to make any attempt.

We have similar problems around here. Not as extreme as yourself as most of the reversing is on metalled roads and not tracks. The problem is keeping an eye on the ditches or walls that are not more than 2ft away from the wheels. Tractors with trailers or towing farm machinery are the biggest hazard as they cannot be expected to reverse more than afew feet. I have had to reverse over 1/4 mile on occasion and it's hard work!! So good wing or door mirrors are essential. Pity the auto park cannot be used to reverse up narrow lanes but the picture on the Bolero screen is very useful for seeing which wall is closing in!

Your choice of seat colour is personal. All I can say after seven years use, my cream coloured X-Trail seats looked grubby. (See the Pant Waen garage web site under used cars)They were comfortable but needed heating in the winter and got sticky when I was wearing shorts!?!

My preference would be the cloth seats with a seat cover for rough use. This was my formula when camping or sailing.

I had an initial problem with the side view morrors, coming from the Octy. You had a more horizonttal view backwards when your eye was close inlevel to the mrror.

In fact, the Yeti mirrors are bigger and cover most situations better when you get used to the different elevation between the eye and the mirror. I believe the same mirrors are used in the Superb.

Backing up and needing to see the stone walls ought to be easy by setting the mirror adjustment on the driver's side and lowering both mirrors at the same time. Certainly, the driver's side miror is convex and gives a little distortion, but that is fairly easy to get used to.

Lots of things I had gotten used to - and liked - on the Octy appeared to be irritations in the Yeti, but the damn thing is growing on me and is getting quite natural after a while.

One exception is that the steering wheel still should have been an inch bigger in diameter.

Oh, I like cloth seats. They grip your behind better and are warmer in winter (nice heated seats for the first few cold minutes) and cooler in summer. The new headrests also work well. You do not feel them normally, but just lean yur head back a smidgen, and you can rest your neck a few seconds. The Co-pilot agrees, although she uses them more than a few seconds.

Edited by Agerbundsen

Tell my wife about the dirty seats :giggle: would prefer an all black interior including the headlining with only red illumination for instruments. Not sure about what the Yeti instrument colour is. I like leather not keen on seat covers. I love the aroma, its a fetish thing :p :rofl:

Stone walls, yes they can make a mess, we have plenty of walls here also but the North Wales ones have more naked stone on display ours tend to be camouflaged with grass.

It is just one of those things, reversing here too for very long distances not only for agricultural tractor trailer units but it is amazing just how many people ( read women (sexist I know)) some do not even see the pull ins that they have just passed. Often it is faster just to do the work one self unless I am feeling bloody minded. That happens if I have time on my hands and I see no attempt on the other persons half to make any attempt.

Having driven these lanes for 47 years, I am used to spotting passing places (the ones where tractors can pass are fewer) but I am amazed at the inability of some people to reverse. Often feel like offering to help! All the locals understand the "give and take" principle when meeting other cars but the tourists are generally hopeless. Towing trailers pose the greatest problem, mine is small so is more twitchy when being reversed, and I have occasionally had to decouple the trailer and push it out of the way before the other party would give way to me. Sometimes it results in a stand off when I know the other party has just passed a wider gap and my choice is a major reversing operation.

All a bit academic at the moment as I have not yet got a tow bracket fitted. I want to fit the Skoda electrics but I resent paying £220 + Labour for the tow bracket. The dealer claims that I might invalidate the guarantee if I get a third party bracket fitted. (electrics being by Skoda.) Any ideas?

Having driven these lanes for 47 years, I am used to spotting passing places (the ones where tractors can pass are fewer) but I am amazed at the inability of some people to reverse. Often feel like offering to help! All the locals understand the "give and take" principle when meeting other cars but the tourists are generally hopeless. Towing trailers pose the greatest problem, mine is small so is more twitchy when being reversed, and I have occasionally had to decouple the trailer and push it out of the way before the other party would give way to me. Sometimes it results in a stand off when I know the other party has just passed a wider gap and my choice is a major reversing operation.

All a bit academic at the moment as I have not yet got a tow bracket fitted. I want to fit the Skoda electrics but I resent paying £220 + Labour for the tow bracket. The dealer claims that I might invalidate the guarantee if I get a third party bracket fitted. (electrics being by Skoda.) Any ideas?

It does not seem to have much to do with the seats, but here goes:

The only safe available tow-bar for the Yeti is the Westfalia. It does require removal of parts of the rear bumper and replacing it, as well as cutting a hole in the bottom plastic bumper to fit the required hatch cover for the baall assembly. The electrics can be done by your dealer or any other aftermarket source, but is a lttle complex.

It's not a major problem - the XF has figures at 30, 50, etc. but the Passat has the same cluster and manages every 10mph withough being cluttered. As you say, you get used to it - like the anticlockwise tacho and weirdly-calibrated manifold pressure gauge on the Franklin-engined Rallye I used to fly.

Ah, Rallyes.... 220hp I think the Franklin was - Rallye Minerva I think? Never flown one, flown a 150hp Lycoming one a bit. Mr Bristol Cars has/had a couple of Rallye Minervas the engines of which had visited the Bristol Cars engine shop for tweaking... Most Rallyes have corroded away to nothing now - you can hear them fizzing on a quiet night. french aluminium was never designed to be long lasting. ;)

Finally got to drive the Yeti a reasonable distance in reasonable conditions and at reasonable speeds! Two and a bit hours each way without a need to escape at either end. Leather isn't as grippy as cloth but perfectly adequate for even spitied roundabout taking and has its advantages like keeping them clean - 5 years making sure my Fabia vRS seats stayed clean was a laugh, I managed it though.

I find the mirrors fine and actually find reversing easier by using the 3 mirrors than turning round and looking out the back window. They seem to keep quite clean too even with the roads in a filthy state with the snow/grit/rain etc.

Ah, Rallyes.... 220hp I think the Franklin was - Rallye Minerva I think? Never flown one, flown a 150hp Lycoming one a bit. Mr Bristol Cars has/had a couple of Rallye Minervas the engines of which had visited the Bristol Cars engine shop for tweaking... Most Rallyes have corroded away to nothing now - you can hear them fizzing on a quiet night. french aluminium was never designed to be long lasting. ;)

Apologies for slight thread drift, but if you thought your car's ergonomics were bad...

749888079_2ViJW-M.jpg

For non-pilots, you adjust the throttle and propeller controls (the big black knobs in the middle) with reference to the tacho (the backwards dial calibrated up to 35) and the manifold pressure gauge (the small black and white dial on the far left). This example is still flying, Franklin support now (sometimes) provided by PZL in Poland. I had the pleasure of flying it into Brooklands a few years ago - yes I was invited!

749888074_BsShF-M.jpg

Sorry, I promise to talk about Skodas from now on - well, at least there is an Eastern Europe connection there!

Mark

Apologies for slight thread drift, but if you thought your car's ergonomics were bad...

Sorry, I promise to talk about Skodas from now on - well, at least there is an Eastern Europe connection there!

Mark

Well, it is French... ;)

Well, it is French... ;)

I meant the engine! :)

Oh, and Mercedes-Benz (who occupy large parts of the Brooklands site) have a factory in Hungary, which has a border with the former Czechoslovakia....

Edited by mbrock

my first post dont really know what am doing at the moment,having done nearly 5000 miles in my 140 se, ivevfound the seats more comfortable than my previous le vrs, but i miss the steering wheel of the vrs, so i may be shortly upgrade to one

my first post dont really know what am doing at the moment,having done nearly 5000 miles in my 140 se, ivevfound the seats more comfortable than my previous le vrs, but i miss the steering wheel of the vrs, so i may be shortly upgrade to one

Welcome shyfly - don't worry, no one round here has a clue what's happening! :giggle:

Have you added your name to the owners list:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/144223-official-yeti-owners-list/

• 3 weeks later...

I. It is easy to find a relaxing driving position except that I need to have the seat in a lower position than I like to see under the rear view mirror. I wish I could unstick the d**n thing and stick it higher on the windscreen but a mesh screen gets in the way.

I drove again the beast today, a few days before delivery of my 1.2, and i just realised how badly the rear view mirror is positioned! It's hopeless for a tall driver. If you add a satnav on the windscreen, you see nothing outside! Why is difficult to unstick the damn thing and stick it higher? I will try to do it in my Yeti.

Edited by ikons