CAI filter fitting

Keefe

Alright all,

Just going to put the CAI on the VRs in a minute, whats the best way to get the filter in there? Go from underneath the car or will there be room once the battery is removed for it to go in from above?

FYI it's a long, carbonio sort of shape intake that runs down into that front corner. Thanks.

Pipes slides down beside the battery, filters goes on from below, but you will need to move the horn and it is still a VERY tight fit

Not bad a job to do really.

Don't really need to remove battery but can see why peeps do.

I removed the headlight to get very good access to where the CAI and Filter sit which allows you to hold it and move it around.

First, removed the old air box asm, then I routed the alloy pipe to roughly where it would sit and left it loose, then I fitted the filter to the pipe with the headlight removed to do up the jubilee clip.

Then connect the hose to the pipe and then connect it to the MAF. You then need to fit a small filter to the plastic tube that came off the old airbox, unless you have the CAI with the extra metal pipe attached, then you just connect the plastic hose the that.

Never need to move the horn in mine

Here area a few pics of mine fitted.

Here the pipe is routed down to the side of the battery and into the location of the bumper asm. (can see better with light removed(

generalpics038.jpg

Here is the airfilter sitting down between the bumper and wheel arch liner (bumper removed in pic as fitting FMIC). You can see the horn in front

SkodaVRSFMICBumpermod069.jpg

Finnished item looking nice and shinny with the other bits.

VRSOCCMod063.jpg

VRSOCCMod071.jpg

Bosh, on this morning, bit of a palava to get everything in.

To those who may want to do this soon, steps were:

Remove old battery box

Remove battery from car

Unbolt battery tray and move out of the corner

F N/S wheel off and arch liner unscrewed and peeled back

Remove the outer-most horn and move it inboard

Filter on from inside the gap, pipe on from above.

Refit all standard bits (battery etc).

I specced a fairly large filter to go on the end of my pipe, so fitting from beneath was the only way. There is a lot of room where the filter sits however the horn(s) get in the way quite annoyingly.

If you're speccing your own filter a long cylindrical type will be ok. If you go for a large diameter, the whole horn assembly will probably need removing and putting elsewhere.

Edited by Keefe

Bosh, on this morning, bit of a palava to get everything in.

To those who may want to do this soon, steps were:

Remove old battery box

Remove battery from car

Unbolt battery tray and move out of the corner

F N/S wheel off and arch liner unscrewed and peeled back

Remove the outer-most horn and move it inboard

Filter on from inside the gap, pipe on from above.

Refit all standard bits (battery etc).

I specced a fairly large filter to go on the end of my pipe, so fitting from beneath was the only way. There is a lot of room where the filter sits however the horn(s) get in the way quite annoyingly.

If you're speccing your own filter a long cylindrical type will be ok. If you go for a large diameter, the whole horn assembly will probably need removing and putting elsewhere.

Thanks for the comments on the engine bay, lot of work getting it to look like that.

Glad you got it CAI fitted, blimmey you had to take quite a bit off.

What does the car sound like now.... Bet it makes a nice induction growl.

Put a few pics of it fitted plus the filter if you have any. What type was the filter?

Edited by Bowders1

Yep will do Bowders, i'm at my parents at the moment for the Christmas break, will be home on Sunday which is where my camera is! So i'll get some pics then.

The noise is nice now, hear a fair amount of turbo whistle and then the Forge007 valve giving a rather loud chirp!

The filter element was from Green Cotton. I went through their "universal" filters to find one that would suit. Went for the dual cone, straight cylindrical type.

Pics to follow as i say.

Edited by Keefe