So why do I need an oil temp gauge.

fuzzybunny

Quite surprised to find that I have an oil temp read out on the MFD in my TDI.

So used to manufacturers taking away gauges and replacing them with simple lights.

Went to the airport this morning at 6.30am temp outside was 3degC.

Took 5 mins for the water temp to reach normal but 15 mins for the Oil temp to reach the 100degC normal running temp.

Anyone know why I need this information, should I be driving more carefully till the oil temp settles down.

Or should I be watching it to make sure it doesn’t go to high.

:)

Quite surprised to find that I have an oil temp read out on the MFD in my TDI.

So used to manufacturers taking away gauges and replacing them with simple lights.

Went to the airport this morning at 6.30am temp outside was 3degC.

Took 5 mins for the water temp to reach normal but 15 mins for the Oil temp to reach the 100degC normal running temp.

Anyone know why I need this information, should I be driving more carefully till the oil temp settles down.

Or should I be watching it to make sure it doesn’t go to high.

:)

I think its a great bit of info to have available at your finger tips. For me its simply nice to be able to monitor it. Ive always been very keen to never push the car until its oil is properly warmed up. Water temperature (as per the guage) isnt a good indicator of this but this is what most people seem to go by.

By times it may only provide a source for worry???

For instance

125 deg Centi showing whilst towing at 80mph with a big roof box....up hill in the heat in Spain in the Summer

However all was fine, we are currently on 215,000 and still going strong

But hey its a VW TDI after all.

so only run in.

Cheers

Ps

I'll buy a Skoda yet

Honest

You do not need to worry about it, but it is a nice bit of information. I find that "normal" driving results in a water tepmperature of 90°C - controlled by the thermostat and cooling fans turning on or off, 1 or both.

There is probably no control on the oil temperature, so it gives you an idea of how hard you are pushing the motor. Again, "normal" driving results in temperatures between 90 and 100°C. High speed autobahn never got it over 110°C.

Like others have said, it would be good for the engine not to get pushed too hard till both temperatures are at their normal levels.

Speaking of oil. I now have 20,000 km (12,500 statute miles) on Snehvide and have only just used one liter of engine oil. My Octy 2.0 PD used about 3 liters between oil changes after the first 30,000 km, where it used 5 liters. I suspect there has been a lot of detail engineering done to reduce oil consumption to protect the DPF. Following that thought through, makes me wonder if the people who have had DPF difficulties have been using the prescribed oil quality? I am sure that one of the VAG 507.00 oil specifications is very low or no ash content.

I think its a great bit of info to have available at your finger tips. For me its simply nice to be able to monitor it. Ive always been very keen to never push the car until its oil is properly warmed up. Water temperature (as per the guage) isnt a good indicator of this but this is what most people seem to go by.

Yes, agreed its best to monitor oil temp rather than water temp....especially in higher performance cars. My 135 has an oil temp gauge (instead of water) for example. Will always wait for warm oil before ragging my cars. :angel:

The 1.8TSi Yeti does warm up its oil pretty quick though.

Got your Yeti yet Lee?

Edited by octy888

You do not need to worry about it, but it is a nice bit of information. I find that "normal" driving results in a water tepmperature of 90°C - controlled by the thermostat and cooling fans turning on or off, 1 or both.

There is probably no control on the oil temperature, so it gives you an idea of how hard you are pushing the motor. Again, "normal" driving results in temperatures between 90 and 100°C. High speed autobahn never got it over 110°C.

Like others have said, it would be good for the engine not to get pushed too hard till both temperatures are at their normal levels.

Speaking of oil. I now have 20,000 km (12,500 statute miles) on Snehvide and have only just used one liter of engine oil. My Octy 2.0 PD used about 3 liters between oil changes after the first 30,000 km, where it used 5 liters. I suspect there has been a lot of detail engineering done to reduce oil consumption to protect the DPF. Following that thought through, makes me wonder if the people who have had DPF difficulties have been using the prescribed oil quality? I am sure that one of the VAG 507.00 oil specifications is very low or no ash content.

Yes, agreed its best to monitor oil temp rather than water temp....especially in higher performance cars. My 135 has an oil temp gauge (instead of water) for example. Will always wait for warm oil before ragging my cars. :angel:

The 1.8TSi Yeti does warm up its oil pretty quick though.

Got your Yeti yet Lee?

Yep, sure have. :thumbup:

Thats a lot of oil on your octy, my 2.0 tdi 4x4 has just completed 25000km and to date hasnt used a drop of oil (507) since new. Hopefully a sign of a good engine and bodes well for the future!!!