Possible DMF failure

So then, it seems I may have another DMF failure.

Pulsing idle occasionally, poor uptake of power and after being sat in slow moving traffic on the M25 a rubbing/ticking noise that accelerated when the clutch was put down then slowed back to previous speed after a couple of seconds.

Once out of traffic, this continued until the car was left overnight.

So does anyone else have suggestions for what this could be?

If people agree it is the DMF, is there any way to check for failure, short of trying it, taking a guess and taking the gearbox off to have a look.

That's obviously very expensive to do and not something I want to do without some serious thought.

EDIT:

Just found this:

Does anyone know if that hole is there on the manual box too?

Edited by cheezemonkhai

46 views and not a single comment :S

The DMF was suspect on my 1.9 estate, the dealer confirmed it was failing by examining the car from underneath, if my translation from his very rapid French was correct it seemed that if there was more than 3 teeth worth of play so to speak on the flywheel, then it would be replaced, luckily this time under warranty. It seemed to be quite a fiddly job checking it, and my knowledge of French swear words was dramatically improved!

The DMF was suspect on my 1.9 estate, the dealer confirmed it was failing by examining the car from underneath, if my translation from his very rapid French was correct it seemed that if there was more than 3 teeth worth of play so to speak on the flywheel, then it would be replaced, luckily this time under warranty. It seemed to be quite a fiddly job checking it, and my knowledge of French swear words was dramatically improved!

Murky Buckets ;)

Yeah I've had them check it before and replace it (6 times! 5 before a gearbox change and 1 with it) and it seems it's on it's way out again as it chatters after being sat in traffic and start stop traffic. Pretty worrying really, but I guess best to find out before major damage occurs.

My worry is that JKM said it's a box off job to check and the service person at the dealer didn't know, but hasn't been able to get an answer back to me yet.

If it's a box off job, then it will be time to consider changing cars.

From what you've said it does sound like there may be an inspection hole, which would be nice.