When should I get my first Variable Service?

thetrev.com

Why did my first service pop up at 17' date='500?

I assumed that was normal-ish but now I'm thinking its a bit low[/quote']It's 20,000 miles max between services on variable for the 1.8T so 17,500 miles isn't bad at all.

So 16k would indicate that it's had a fairly hard life then? :D

Nah the opposite, means its been pussy footed about ;)

Variable servicing

Petrol - min 9,300 miles...max 20,000 miles.

Diesel - min 9,300 miles...max 30,000 miles.

However the max diesel mileage has now been dropped to 20k also on new models.

My first was at 31k (!) and now just turned 50k and still no service indicator - I'm doing slightly shorter runs now, so I suspect it might pop up a little earlier next time. However, it also looks like I'll be making an unscheduled stop sooner for a new clutch :(

My first was at 31k (!) and now just turned 50k and still no service indicator - I'm doing slightly shorter runs now, so I suspect it might pop up a little earlier next time. However, it also looks like I'll be making an unscheduled stop sooner for a new clutch :(

I knew the 30K figure i quoted came from a reliable source ;)

The oil light on my octavia 1.9tdi has just flashed yellow and beeped, is this my service light :confused: i have variable servicing and my car has done 17k. (sorry if this has been done before?)

When you turn on your car you should see "service" flashing in the MFA/clock display.

To be on the safe side I'd check my oil level as I'm not sure what's the indications are between model specs.

checked my oil, was a little low, so i've topped it up and the yellow light has gone, i think will go on to fixed servicing after i have had my service done next week. thanks for your help :thumbup:

Yes, that's the oil level light, rather than the service light. If you only do low miles, fixed servicing makes sense. However, higher miles mean its better to go for variable.

There's a good document by VW here (clicky! ) - it's a PDF - that describes it all nicely.