Don't buy this car! (EU03 TLJ)

Hi everyone, Don't know if I should be posting this or if anyone gives a toss at all but I feel the car was that bad it would be worth writing to turn people away from it. Mods feel free to move it, wasn't sure as to where to post it. but feel it is important

Went to view a car today, was the 3rd Octi I went to see, spoke to the guy on the phone and didn't really understand him, he had a very strong accent but the advert sounded legit and seemed like quite a tidy honest car in the pictures.

Okay to begin with i'll start with the fact that there is a very suspicious crack in the windscreen in a radius around the VIN plate, alarm bells were instantly ringing. I asked the seller who just shrugged it off and dodged the question with a LAUGH?! I mean, a laugh at such a serious issue.

Once the key was in the ignition it made a really high pitched squeak to which he told me it was just a pulley and didn't do it when ran on Super-unleaded (yea.. right, okay mate the pulleys move without the engine turned on, that's news to me) however the engine sounded moderately healthy a tiny bit tappy but nothing to worry about at all really, didn't smoke under load etc etc

The body work was completely wrecked, dents and dings all over the car, not just your usual carpark dents I am talking big dings, some of which rusty and none really apparent in any of the pictures (wouldn't have give it the time of day if it was anything like that)

next up was possibly the worst, his driving. I am not sure if he owned the car but I suspect not. Drive it like you stole it comes to mind really badly. in a 40 mph zone he was touching nearly 100 (of which in 3rd gear).. apperently he doesn't normally drive like that but hmm. Taking corners late telling me how much fun it is to 'rag like a go-kart' :no: me and my friend looked at each other in disbelief, was this actually happening on a test drive from some description of motor trader?!

Seat belt didn't latch/lock proper and the glove box was broken and wouldn't open

Fag burns everywhere and also my friend sat in the back said it was leaking quite heavily. We walked away suspecting cut and shut. Please don't let the bargain price and nice looking pictures tempt you. I can assure you it is NOTHING like this what so ever, I work in the motor trade and would say this car would only be fit for scrap/spares.

I have probably forgot 1,000,000 other problems but still, absolutely nothing like it seem

Anyway, here is the car.. possibly when he first got it, before the other car was welded on to it etc etc..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SKODA-OCTAVIA-1-8-VRS-2003-/250665283024?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a5cd0add0#ht_500wt_947

Edited by Lew_VRS

how is an '03 plate registered in June 2006?

Could be a genuine error. Could say the same about bad spelling, but some people simply have atrocious spelling.

Can see the stratches in the pictures - but then paint wouldn't put me off a car (mine has a large dent in it, doesn't affect the mechanicals), but it does look a bit . . .off?

The front headlamps don't seem to sit right in my eye, and shouldn't it have front fogs (not familuar with Octavia's)? Seems to sit too high at the back too, but could be the ground I guess.

Still, least you didn't buy it - one of the risks with second hand cars. Looked at one where the steering wheel/column moved if you depressed the clutch!

Can see the stratches in the pictures - but then paint wouldn't put me off a car (mine has a large dent in it, doesn't affect the mechanicals), but it does look a bit . . .off?

The front headlamps don't seem to sit right in my eye, and shouldn't it have front fogs (not familuar with Octavia's)? Seems to sit too high at the back too, but could be the ground I guess.

Still, least you didn't buy it - one of the risks with second hand cars. Looked at one where the steering wheel/column moved if you depressed the clutch!

Mk1 Octavia vRS' don't have front fogs

They do but they're built into the headlight unit.

I would be horrified if the seller of any car I was buying drove it like that on a test drive! :doh:

The sad thing is that the Mk1 VRS is now so cheap you're going to get a lot of dodgy "driveway" dealers selling them. And examples that have been owned by complete muppets and not looked after!

Edited by chicken_eyebrow

Yea they do mate they are built into the headlight units

Yea beaten too lol

Even wi blackberry I still not fast enough

Edited by billy2981

Several other places to check the vin, drivers B pillar, data sticker in boot and another couple. Could also check the engine number against the vehicle data sticker in the back/service book.

Glovebox may have been locked, but you are right it does look a bit dodgy, you can see all the damage in the pics if you look close enough. There is what seems to be a large dent in the sill on one side as well.

Seems the nearside has dents on both wheel arches and a good dent in the sill too, and possible front bumper scuffage too.

Rear number plate is on at an angle too (that really annoys me)

Edited by mbames

Everyone has to start somewhere but I wouldnt buy a car off anyone on ebay with absolutely no feedback, apart from a car parts place saying he was welcome there again?

If you are genuinely concerned its a cut and shut do the decent thing and have a word with your local Stolen Vehicle Squad, at the very least could save some poor buggers money let alone his life.

Edited by Borderspeed

Everyone has to start somewhere but I wouldnt buy a car off anyone on ebay with absolutely no feedback, apart from a car parts place saying he was welcome there again?

If you are genuinely concerned its a cut and shut do the decent thing and have a word with your local Stolen Vehicle Squad, at the very least could save some poor buggers money let alone his life.

yes great suggestion. i'll definitely be informing police as even if it turns out to be legit he still put mine and my good friends life at risk let alone everyone elses.

Several other places to check the vin, drivers B pillar, data sticker in boot and another couple. Could also check the engine number against the vehicle data sticker in the back/service book.

Glovebox may have been locked, but you are right it does look a bit dodgy, you can see all the damage in the pics if you look close enough. There is what seems to be a large dent in the sill on one side as well.

hi mate your eyes must be better than mine (i have a stigma) but i honestly couldnt make out the damage on the vehicle in pics.. not to the extent of the actual damage.

the glovebox was locked but the hinge and mechansim had snapped so without the pressure of the lock it was just free swinging i think.

also on the phone full service history, first thing he said was part service history hmm

SILVER,HATCHBACK,FSH,12 MNTHS MOT TILL JUNE 2011 ,6 MNTHS TAX,FULL ENGINE SERVICE RECENTLY DONE,TWIN AIR BAGS,POWER STEERING,AIR CON,UPGRADED TURBO,HALF SPEC LEATHER TRIM,CLIMATE CONTROL,VERY GOOD CONDITION THROUGHOUT,DRIVES SUPERB,RECEIPTS FOR ALL THE WORK DONE OVER 1,000 POUNDS SPENT RECENTLY.

What was the upgraded turbo has been fitted?

"Very good condition throughout", I wonder how he would describe a f**ked car?

The ad even says FSH too.....

One to avoid :o

May or may not be of interest, but the landline number (on his other ebay car) traces back to:

Birmingham Auto Centres

149-159 Muntz Street

Birmingham

West Midlands

B10 9SJ

0121 753 0007

in CAR REPAIRS / GARAGES / MECHANICS

from 118118.com

What was the upgraded turbo has been fitted?

"Very good condition throughout", I wonder how he would describe a f**ked car?

The ad even says FSH too.....

he claimed turbo was off an 05 plate, but thought they used different engines 2.0T i thought? so took that was a pinch of salt anyway lol.

one second he had every reciept the next it was partial. then it went from having over 1,000 spent to having less than 600. i cannot begin to describe how dodgy this car is but i am sure someone will be tempted at that price which is a great shame as it is truly dodgy. the seller couldnt keep up with his own lies lol

tell the police asap and inform ebay to :thumbup:

Unfortunately telling Ebay may not achieve much,.... I recently reported a silver vRS estate I'd seen advertised on there. Ad stated 62k miles, but looking at the photos it was fitted with a calibrated speedo that gives it away as an ex-police car,.... With 62k miles???,..... Hmmm,..... Car also had some styling mods that convinced me it was the same motor that I'd previously seen for sale on Autotrader with a MUCH higher mileage, but the Ebay ad had the reg obscured so couldn't compare and the ad on the trader had been taken down anyway,.... I made my suspicions known to Ebay and got the automated response about them looking into it and replying properly within 24 hours,...... And nothing after that.......

Wait - did he take you out recently in this? If so the MOT had expired... :(

Any evidence that it could be a CAT D right off?

Did you check the vin, engine plate and chassis numbers if they all matched?

Edited by wilsonian

That advert looks fully shady to me!

The rear boot lid is wrong. It's off a pre-facelift car, and the vRS was never made pre-facelift. Look at the rear boot handle, it's the old design.

States 12 months MOT, but it ran out in June.

Claims the engine capacity is 2cc, sporty.

The front grille looks like a pre-facelift grille too. Seems very upright and flat.

It claims to have a sunroof, but it clearly doesn't.

You can see the front bumper, NSF wing, NS sill and NSR wing have all been smashed in.

Front bumper is wonky.

Looks like it has the wrong rear springs.

Why did he post a picture of a mashed up wheel. I presume that is the best wheel of the four!

The registered year being 2006, which is written three times, is clearly being used to mislead people, considering the car is on an '03 plate. He's obviously up to something.

This car has probably been stolen, report the seller to the police. If you really hate him, tell them how he drove like a twonk.

We don't need scum like this poisoning the Skoda name.

how is an '03 plate registered in June 2006?

That would have rung alarm bells with me before I'd even gone to look at it!!

Permanent import from Ireland (either bit). I'm not saying that this car is; just that this could give you a "first UK registration date" years later than the age related plate the DVLA issues.