How to do I fit a LCR Front splitter?

Hello all, just received a Leon Cupra R front splitter for my Octy Vrs.................How do you fit it????

I have searched for the answer, which I'm sure is here somewhere, but can't find it. Can someone tell me or give me a link???

Thank you very much

Dave

Undertaking this very task at the mo, for the 2nd time !

DeFuzr_01.jpg

I'll take some pics as I go.

I kept the old bits so I'd remember what to do emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Very Useful tool: wire snips emoticon-0148-yes.gif (as in corner of 1st photo)

Here goes:

Notch up the splitter (this will make it more flexible):

Octy_4x4_SnowPlough_ReFit_001.jpg

Remove Lugs so it will sit flush with underside.

You need to find the centre of the splitter and the center line of the bumper:

Octy_4x4_SnowPlough_ReFit_002.jpg

Screw down the middle first, after making sure you happy about where it'll sit.

Due the different shape between the Leon and vRS bumper, the splitter will naturally overhang the edge of the bumper:

Octy_4x4_SnowPlough_ReFit_003.jpgOcty_4x4_SnowPlough_ReFit_003.jpg

This is why the notches where cut. The splitter can be pushed back to fit. Drill in a screw to hold:

Octy_4x4_SnowPlough_ReFit_004.jpgOcty_4x4_SnowPlough_ReFit_004.jpg

There's a thicker section of plastic towards the rear, which'll hold a screw better:

Octy_4x4_SnowPlough_ReFit_006.jpgOcty_4x4_SnowPlough_ReFit_005.jpg

Bosh the rest of the screws !

Octy_4x4_SnowPlough_ReFit_010.jpg

Octy_4x4_SnowPlough_ReFit_009.jpgOcty_4x4_SnowPlough_ReFit_006.jpg

Hope this helps emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Edited by snow_muncher

lol,

Easy mate,

How do you want it to look? Like this :

1st attempy(when I was a sprog to mods)

n713485239_1624344_424.jpg

OR

2nd go (Much better IMHO, doesnt make the front looked squeezed)

n713485239_1624348_1872-1.jpg

n713485239_1624349_2223-1.jpg

The first is just the splitter, with the 2 center clips cut and filed off to the thin plastic flap in the uprights and the notches around the rest smoothed off.

Paper tape the Bumper around the middle so you can draw a line where the center is by measuring.

Do the same on the splitter and just line them up.

start with the 2 notches either side of the center and work round making sure its central and evenly pulled out/ pushed back.

To get yours like the second of mine you will need to do as above but around the corners youll need to cut sections out to allow you to bend/mould it round the bumper. youll know when you try it mate. Its easy and doesnt take too long. I would take the bumper off tho! I am doing mine again for the tird time as the second I damaged the other week and also from new it had a gloss part on it around one edge like it had been polished/ had lacker spilet on it lol.

Oh also on the 2 upright parts, personally I like it to have a slight bow down like the LCR has but iff not then you can go right down to the flaps and that will be flat, iff not leave a few mm above it. iirc mine was3-4mm

these are rough areas you should look at cutting V in the flat back parts, just dont go too near the face.

HTH some

Billy

HPIM0820-1.jpg

yea mate, I did but some use some kind of plastick ones?

They are 1/4" or 1/2" ones iirc. think 1/4. used plenty of them and it becomes a part of the bumper then. Very strong in my exp lol. abviously not in snows case lol.

I only had a small scuff in this secon#d one but it was enough to annoy me plus the shiny part on one side bugged me too. so I just got another, cost £21ish lol

i took my bumper off to fit mine, i had plenty of time at work and it only takes 5 mins to remove the bumper, as said above hold in place with tape and fit self tappers. i fited 12 or 14 10mm metal ones and thought it was in de-structable. Caught it many times and it survived!! and looked the part.

dc97d52a.jpg

4e35458a.jpg

08052010573.jpg

08052010575.jpg

08052010574.jpg

b3ac8bb6.jpg

SWMBO had it 24hrs and ripped it off and dragged it 10 miles under the car.

not seen the damage yet as i'm away with work but i dont think it will be going back on :thumbdown:

Edited by sivrs

nope lol, wont be much left and it might make it hard to put another in its place as the bumper might be shot too. mind the bumper is very strong.just use diff holes lol.

i hope the bumpers ok, i wont get to check it over for another 3 weeks until she comes to visit :S

it was on well, ive scraped it numerous times and it's held fine (even told her to watch the kerbs) and she still destroys it lol

Edited by sivrs

lol, yea Ide had my car for 6 month and went int a space forwards once, and only just tool the paint off a tad underneath lol, nothing to be worried about really but I never go fwds into a parking spot ever again. getting out of our old drive was apain tho used to catch all the time and again it was only minor scuffs underneath.

Women drivers lol.

specially when in their fellas cars lol

Fitting is straight forward and as folks have stated is easier if you have time to remove bumper, although can be done without as i did mine that way.

Twice now as mine got demolished a few months back.

As mentioned

Cut the tabs off to make spiltter sit flat with stanley knife

Cut down the centre posts so there is a few mm (approx 7mm) so just proud of the inner flat section to allow screwing upto the bumper.

Pre drill the spliter on the triangler sections and you can if you wish screw in the self tapping screws at this point

Line up to position on the bumper and tape it roughly in place

use masking tape so you can mark both bumper and splitter with alignment marks

Stand back and make sure it looks right

Start screwing in the self tappers from centre of splitter outwards, slowly putting pressure to the curves around the sides to pull out the splitter so it will curve round the bumper sides equally.(some folks cut small slits in the splitter or notches) i did not find this needed on mine.

stand back and admire your work

Drive carefully if car lowered, and do not park on curbs as it will not go over them now.

Pics of first attempt

VRSFMICBumpermod006.jpg

VRSFMICBumpermod004.jpg

Pic of it looking slightly worse for wear

FrontGrillMod355.jpg

FrontGrillMod354.jpg

second attempt fitted

FrontpicsofcarAugust2010002.jpg

FrontpicsofcarAugust2010001.jpg

Edited by Bowders1

• 3 years later...