What Can I Use To Keep The Plastics Looking Good

juice1510

Just wondering if the vast knowledge on this forum can point me in the direction of some decent products to keep the interior plastics looking like new.

Have a 10 plate Superb which is used daily and does a fair amount of mileage. The car is only 3 months old with 11,000 on the clock but I feel that I need to start dressing the plastics with something or other before they get dull and old looking.

Any help much appreciated.

I'm experimenting with a product called Smartgel at the moment for all 'blacking applications' so far so good easy to apply and leaves a great black finish glossy if left or matt if buffed seems to last well too and a little from the bottle seems to go a long way.

Even works well on the plastics on my wife's Corsa and they are terrible for turning grey looking :giggle:

Here is a linky for it if your interested

http://www.smartwax-usa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SW-GEL

Cheers

Alan

I'm experimenting with a product called Smartgel at the moment for all 'blacking applications' so far so good easy to apply and leaves a great black finish glossy if left or matt if buffed seems to last well too and a little from the bottle seems to go a long way.

Even works well on the plastics on my wife's Corsa and they are terrible for turning grey looking :giggle:

Here is a linky for it if your interested

http://www.smartwax-...ductCode=SW-GEL

Cheers

Alan

just use a heat gun on your wifes corsa just waft over the plastics quickly and they dont turn grey for a long time be carefull though

Why not try Skoda's own 'Interior Trim Cleaner' from the Skoda Car Care range, available from your dealer.

It works for me and is not too shiny

I tried AG Vinyl & Rubber Care ... seems to darken the plastics and make them slightly shiny. Poorboy's Natural Looking Dressing results in the same darkening, but doesn't have the slightly "greasy" shiny appearance. I can't really comment on the "light-fastness" effect, as my Fabia is nearly 6, and it's only had NLD on it for about 3 months.

Why not try Skoda's own 'Interior Trim Cleaner' from the Skoda Car Care range, available from your dealer.

Most of Skoda's car care range are rebadged Autoglym products, IIRC (not that that's necessarily a bad thing :)).

I tried AG Vinyl & Rubber Care ... seems to darken the plastics and make them slightly shiny. Poorboy's Natural Looking Dressing results in the same darkening, but doesn't have the slightly "greasy" shiny appearance. I can't really comment on the "light-fastness" effect, as my Fabia is nearly 6, and it's only had NLD on it for about 3 months.

Most of Skoda's car care range are rebadged Autoglym products, IIRC (not that that's necessarily a bad thing :)).

you can buff the AG to a matt and non shiney effect.

you can buff the AG to a matt and non shiney effect.

That does help, but I found it was still a little glossy (unless I didn't do it right). Conversely, it's always gone matt when applied to the door rubbers!

Conecpt chemicals do a product called vista which is good at restoring plastic. However it does leave a shine. This may be able to be buffed off though, I've not tried.

In reply to Martinch - Skoda Car Care products are not re-badged Autogylm products.

Have you seen and used them?

I have stocks of both and have used both.

Autoglym products are 'Made in England', Skoda Car Care products and 'Made in Germany'

eg

Autoglym Shampoo is a green clear liquid, Skoda's looks like T cut

Autoglym Wheel Cleaner is a pink liquid, Skoda's is a thick white gel

Autoglym Fast Glass Cleaner is a blue liquid, Skoda's is like white shaving cream

The only Autoglym products available through Skoda dealers are the Lifeshine range

which are generally Dealer applied, and are not replicated in the Skoda range, but have

you seen the prices they charge for these and their application to your vehicle!!

In reply to Martinch - Skoda Car Care products are not re-badged Autogylm products.

Have you seen and used them?

Nope, I haven't - I was merely repeating what I was told by TPS - that the polishes and waxes are AG products that have been re-baged and repackaged, which is why TPS sells the AG products and not the VW-branded ones (I don't see any reason for TPS to lie on this - they are part of VAG, anyway).

Edited by martinch