Fitting Parking Sensors

bandit1

Hi Graham,

haven't done this myself but this is what I can gleem from what's been done to mine.

You just need to remove the rubbing strip; this is where the sensors are situated. All the wire can be run through a rubber bung thing which is more less centre of the rear metal panel. I you're looking from above it's the panel below the lower plastic boot trim.

I assume you then just wire to the reversing bulb (:confused: ).

Not very technical but a start; I'll try and take some pics if I remember.

Cheers.

Adrian.

Normally fitted in bump strip as retrofit. Bump strip and bumper need drilling so may need to be removed I guess- wiring to B pillar for buzzer so trim needs removing to route wiring. Last weeks Auto express had some tests of none OE sensors.

for original accessory sensor remove rear bumper drill holes in bumper and rubbing strip remove r/h side lower trim panels up to and inc b pillar run wires for speaker + fit speaker behind b pillar trim run rest of wires to r/h rear and connect up to reverse light. my time to do this 1.5 hrs

Thanks Big K.

The kit is agenuine one & now I have it I see from the enclosed instructions how to do it.

What I cannot see is why the bumper needs to come off, as the holes can be drilled in situ & the routing can be done aswell.

Or is the something I have missed ??

Thanks

Graham

bandit, are you able to post the instructions at all? I'm very interested in getting parking sensors installed as we all know what a pain reversing the vRS is... I'm just curious on what the instructions look like, how much it set you back, etc? Am not the most competent DIY-er in the UK, but I will be having enough time next month to do these sort of things in...

Q.

Originally posted by Witchfinder in this post

Ah, that well known perfomance enhancement, the Parking sensor. Adds at least 30 BHP. Or is this just in the wrong forum? :D

Pardon me for Breathing !!!!

New Job as a Moderator then ?? :rolleyes:

Graham;)

Well, I think reverse is higher geared than first, so it should accelerate quicker than first - which is quick enough... Perhaps its possible to fit a complete gearbox in reverse, so there are five backward gears too...

Originally posted by devonutopia in this post

Perhaps its possible to fit a complete gearbox in reverse, so there are five backward gears too...

That would be the French market variant, surely!!

:D

Howard

Sounds very hairy - steering gets very sensitive in reverse .... could end up doing involuntary J turns. OK as long as there isn't anything in the way :eek:

On the subject of reversing sensors: What's the most over-the-top, in your face, novaBoy™ kit you can buy? I want at least a colour display showing a picture of what's behind and some kind of ranging info.

Kinda like the "binoculars" you see in films (star wars?) :D

Originally posted by Stimps in this post

On the subject of reversing sensors: What's the most over-the-top, in your face, novaBoy™ kit you can buy? I want at least a colour display showing a picture of what's behind and some kind of ranging info.

You may laugh, but the Nissan Primera has that, albeit without the range info bit. Quite groovy actually.

Originally posted by devonutopia in this post

Well, I think reverse is higher geared than first, so it should accelerate quicker than first - which is quick enough... Perhaps its possible to fit a complete gearbox in reverse, so there are five backward gears too...

Reminds me of mate (many years ago) who had a Bond three-wheeler with a two-stroke engine. The engine would quite happily run in either direction, depending on which way the crankshaft was kicked when it initially fired. The forward/reverse gear was separate from the main gearbox, so it had four speeds both forward and reverse.

Originally posted by Turbo_Boss in this post

Check these aftermarket Conceal Type Reverse Sensor:

http://www.bumpercare.com/index.html

I have not try it yet.............I just found the web and passing it here.

:cheers:

Isaac

Isaac,

I have had a look at the link to the products.

I would be very careful in choosing one of those as they are quoting a maximum working range of between 50-60cm. This is very close to an obstacle before the system reacts (& even longer before you can react). I fitted a genuine Skoda one, very easy to fit (I will post pics eventually), no need to remove the bumper & it starts to work 2.5 Metres away from an obstacle.

I also notice that you would have to remove the bumper for the "Cheaper" version. There are no costs though, just a link to a Singapore office.

As they say "Just my 2 Cents worth"

Graham:cheers: