What's an FMIC and why do i need one??

Joel_vRS

Yep' date=' very good point Ian.

Surely for the minimal amount of hot weather (i.e. Brunters style last year) a waterspray kit on the standard IC, like Jon's old one, would be more than enough?[/quote']

i would of agreed with this statement before i fitted my FMIC but the difference it has made to the feel of my car,the power delivery how much longer the power lasts has impressed me alot.

its an expensive piece of kit i do admit but i'm very pleased with the results especially in connection with the other parts changed around the same time.

you can have the same level of power at lower pressure when the temperature is colder, so less stress on the engine. also when the air is warmer it is closer to detonation, so intakes temps of say 110 degrees are more volatile and less efficient than intake temps of say 30 degrees.

so more power, better engine life and safer.

The 200SX does have a rather weedy I/C so it will make a lot of difference.
And even more so if tuned! Yes, I was very surprised at just how small the standard intercooler was.

in relation to this topic a fmic is quite an expensive item for the performance given... however why does no one seem to take the idea of installing the 225 tt/s3 setup i.e. the second intercooler. surely this would be a cheap upgrade compared to a fmic? could just find a smashed one and steal the bits or is it far more complex than this? would like to do it to the octavia vrs when its out of warrenty if it proves attractive...

Probably another dumb question :sorry: - but if cooler air is better, what difference does the ambient temperature make to power output?

Suppose you measure your car's output in summer when it's 25 degrees C, then measure it again (without changing the car) at this time of year when it's nearer 5 degrees.

Would you get a noticeable increase in power?

Probably another dumb question :sorry: - but if cooler air is better' date=' what difference does the ambient temperature make to power output?

Suppose you measure your car's output in summer when it's 25 degrees C, then measure it again (without changing the car) at this time of year when it's nearer 5 degrees.

Would you get a noticeable increase in power?[/quote']

Big difference, you can certainly feel it in the car and it allways showed a difference on the rolling road in mid summer compared to winter.

And even more so if tuned! Yes, I was very surprised at just how small the standard intercooler was.

Yep, tiny little thing on my 200. Really should have changed it before going for a hybrid turbo and upping the boost to 15 psi... :D

Probably another dumb question :sorry: - but if cooler air is better' date=' what difference does the ambient temperature make to power output?

Would you get a noticeable increase in power?[/quote']

Very noticeable, particularly if your car is de-tuning itself in the hot weather. Because I didn't change the cooler on my 200, the ECU retarded the ignition timing and the car ran slower. But when presented with lots of cool damp air on a foggy morning, it charged along like a steam train! :D

looking on the net it seems a dual intercooler kit has already been made for the 1.8t... it is however expensive. would it be reasonable cheap to do should an s3/tt being broken find itself with some of its engine missing i.e. manifold, needed intercooler and mounts? if it was cheaper surely it would prove to be a good modification being nearly as effective?

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi/?html=learnmore.html&productID=920

Although IMO in the british climate they are far from essential...

Depends on the car - it was a must on my fabia as with the hybrid turbo and running quite high boost I was getting crazy intake temps - more than halved with the addition of a FMIC.