Intermittent coolant light issue

wilsonian

Recently my vRS has been showing me the coolant warning light when I first start it up. Hasn't happened every morning and when I turn the engine off and restart it the light doesn't show back up - I have plenty of coolant but it hasn't been changed since I bought the car new in 07. Any recommendations to sort this out?

Common problem, the contacts on the sensor in the expansion bottle have become contaminated. Dead easy to fix, just scrape a screwdriver over the contacts to remove some crud and bye bye error.

My cars been doing this on and off for a few weeks now.

I was going to change the expansion tank.... but my cars an 04 ASZ.... can I scrape the contacts as suggested above?

Probably not. Mine's a 53 ASZ and I had to replace the tank as it was completly sealed. It's only £14 or so, but its a bit of a pain in the arse job trying to hold the pipes vertically with mole-grips so you don't loose too much coolant.

Probably not. Mine's a 53 ASZ and I had to replace the tank as it was completly sealed. It's only £14 or so, but its a bit of a pain in the arse job trying to hold the pipes vertically with mole-grips so you don't loose too much coolant.

Thanks for all that :)