Squeaky Belt

Hey All,

Last few weeks the car has developed an annoying squeak when running on idle especially from a cold start.

I popped my head under the bonnet yesterday and it sounds like it's the alternator belt (presuming it's the one to the left of the engine when you look down at it).

Are they self tensioning or am I best to go ahead to tension it myself?

Car is still covered under warranty, but they won't even take a look without me paying for it - which I thought they might have just advised me.

Cheers,

Luke

I had this on my old 20v toledo.

I think the tensioner was sticking, so wasn't putting enough tension on the belt.

Easy to replace though, Use some molegrips to ease off the tension and remove the old belt. Undo the 3 bolts which hold the tensioner on, remove it, put new one on, bolts back in, put new belt on, and then remove the pin in the new tensioner and slowly let release it onto the belt. Took me about 20 minutes.

Make sure you get the belt back on the right way round all the pulleys though!

If you put some water on the belt, does the squeaking stop?