2.0tdi L+K, Mistake ?

After 9 years with a 1.9tdi doing 247,000 trouble free miles I changed to a 2 litre tdi L+K fancying the toys on board. In 6 months of ownership I've twice spent £400.00 for 'emissions workshop' faults. It doesn't have EPF but since reading on this site it seems I've little to look forward too except more bills. Am I being paranoid or should I sell it. Main prompt for this question is a new job means I'll be driving less than 10 miles a day down from 75. Thourghts, advice.

After 9 years with a 1.9tdi doing 247,000 trouble free miles I changed to a 2 litre tdi L+K fancying the toys on board. In 6 months of ownership I've twice spent £400.00 for 'emissions workshop' faults. It doesn't have EPF but since reading on this site it seems I've little to look forward too except more bills. Am I being paranoid or should I sell it. Main prompt for this question is a new job means I'll be driving less than 10 miles a day down from 75. Thourghts, advice.

Hi and Welcome to Briskoda :thumbup:

Yes I reckon unfortunately.

My 1.9D 130 hp L&K is an absolute marvel compared to the 2 litre 140 hp diesel I recent stopped using.

Yes you are right it does have more toys, it is smoother but the fuel consumption is much worse and it is actual slowe accelerating.

I reckon the 2 litre diesel does 5 to 10 mpg less than the 1.9D and is about half a second slower on the 0-60 and about a second slower on the quarter mile.

TSI petrol is the better way. Fuel consumption between diesel and petrol has closed to about 15% or so where it was 35% or so and the increased but price of diesel cars is no longer justifiable IMO.

Love L&Ks, makes the TSI VRS, which we have too, feel basic. Hopefully will have my 1.8 TSI DSG L&K next week but will probably keep the 1.9D as I reserve car, it is just too good to let go.

Edited by lol

Hi,

Don't you have garantee if the car is new? What did they say, why this happens? do you have 16v or a 8V PD or CR engine ?

The engine will be a 16V PD unit, since the 8V was never fitted to the octy2.

I had a 2.0PD TDi octavia and drove it for just short of 100,000 miles with no fault. The recurrence of the emissions workshop suggests the garage does not know what they are doing. I reckon the second time it ocurred, it happened because it was not fixed first time round and you paid out at least once for nothing to be resolved. I did get the emissions workshop warning once, but it was resolved by changing a sensor with the cost to me being nil as it would have cost more for the garage to do the paperwork than the cost of the sensor.

The 2.0 does use more fuel, its a bigger engine of course but the difference is tiny and somewhat offset by the extra gear in the transmission. At 70MPH the 2.0 is way quieter than the 1.9 due to a lot less revs and the extra 8V in the engine. I regularly got between 550 to 600 miles per tank of fuel.

Oh I see,

It is a bit confusing with Škoda model policy in different countries :wonder:

I agree with you about the rest, 99% chance the recurrence is the consequence of a lousy garage job first time around....

I would go back and make them fix it for good. B)

The engine will be a 16V PD unit, since the 8V was never fitted to the octy2.

I had a 2.0PD TDi octavia and drove it for just short of 100,000 miles with no fault. The recurrence of the emissions workshop suggests the garage does not know what they are doing. I reckon the second time it ocurred, it happened because it was not fixed first time round and you paid out at least once for nothing to be resolved. I did get the emissions workshop warning once, but it was resolved by changing a sensor with the cost to me being nil as it would have cost more for the garage to do the paperwork than the cost of the sensor.

The 2.0 does use more fuel, its a bigger engine of course but the difference is tiny and somewhat offset by the extra gear in the transmission. At 70MPH the 2.0 is way quieter than the 1.9 due to a lot less revs and the extra 8V in the engine. I regularly got between 550 to 600 miles per tank of fuel.

Can you tell me what sensor this was as I have the intermittent emissions workshop light although it does not cause any performance issues, I would like to get it sorted out.

Can you tell me what sensor this was as I have the intermittent emissions workshop light although it does not cause any performance issues, I would like to get it sorted out.

Sure, it was the fuel temperature sensor. its located on the front part of the engine once you remove the engine cover. Until it was replaced it caused intermittent emissions workshop to pop up, it would be there for days then disappear only to return a short while later.

Thanks for the replies. The first time was a sensor, the second was the throttle body. I should have said it is an 06 reg, bought in May with 79,000 on it. It came as ex lease, one owner with full service history. As I said I'm just worried that it will not be as good as my last Octavia. That was so good the man who services it bought it for his use!

Sure, it was the fuel temperature sensor. its located on the front part of the engine once you remove the engine cover. Until it was replaced it caused intermittent emissions workshop to pop up, it would be there for days then disappear only to return a short while later.

Cheers for the reply, thats exactly what mine is doing and its wrecking my head.

What sort of price might the sensor be ??