reversing with twin axle caravan

Les H widnes

I have a yeti 170 diesel elegance kerb weight 1535 kgs i tow a twin axle lunar caravan kerb weight 1380kgs. When using the caravan laden it weighs probably 1500kgs. The unit tows really well but when i reverse I get a clutch burn smell and i don't have to reverse a great deal for this to happen.The manual says that the vehicle is capable of towing a trailer of 2000kgs, so I am surprised that I have experienced this problem.Has anybody else suffered this.

First question - is the van set up properly? I.e. Proper reverse system overriding the tendency to put the brake on - ??

Does it all reverse ok or is there more resistance in this setup?

Find this problem with my single axle c'van. It has happened with my last 3 tow cars.

I suspect the probem is because the caravan wheels actually need to rotate before the brakes automatically disengage, if you meet any resistance when pushing back (i.e. a slight slope) then you have to push harder to get the caravan to move, in the meantime before it does the brakes are on.

When I bring my caravan home to get it on my drive I have to reverse it, because it is perfectly level no 'hot clutch' - manover (spelling??) on a site with a few dips in the grass etc and you will soon smell the clutch!! As long as you don't do it too often or for too long I don't think it will be a problem, I've got 80K on my Hyundai in 3 years, and have towed for probably 5K of those and no problems. My C'van weighs in at 1485 Kgs Mtplm (say 1500) and tows very well with the Hyundai, looking forward to my Yeti with more power/torque and higher towing capacity and nose weight !!

Edited by Millstone

I noticed the same when we were away in October with our single axle Adria when reversing it up a slight rise at the pitch, but I'm not going to worry about it. In general I prefer towing on to a pitch anyway!

Don't forget the towing limits are not calculated on the ability to reverse, but to restart forward on a 1 : 8 hill.

My caravan was bought brand new in December 2009 and i have suffered this problem from the first time i used it 9 days later, this week i had a caravan engineer check the brakes and the traction control on the caravan and he said that everything is in proper working order.This smell occurs wether i am reversing on the flat on tarmac so it happens sooner in other conditions.

Les,

not being insulting, but have you tried slipping the clutch less? I was surprised to find that once I got mine moving it would actually move quite slowly just on tick-over in reverse, with the clutch fully out.

Les,

not being insulting, but have you tried slipping the clutch less? I was surprised to find that once I got mine moving it would actually move quite slowly just on tick-over in reverse, with the clutch fully out.

This is the great advantage of electronic control of the engine speed. The ECU will try to hold the engine revs at about 800 rpm irrespective of the load on it so a (sort of) crawler gear is available. It works great in 1st and will crawl along the flat or up hills at a constant rate.

Give it a try.

I have a yeti 170 diesel elegance kerb weight 1535 kgs i tow a twin axle lunar caravan kerb weight 1380kgs. When using the caravan laden it weighs probably 1500kgs. The unit tows really well but when i reverse I get a clutch burn smell and i don't have to reverse a great deal for this to happen.The manual says that the vehicle is capable of towing a trailer of 2000kgs, so I am surprised that I have experienced this problem.Has anybody else suffered this.

I had a 4X4 octavia estate until recently and also towed a caravan, only 1150 kgs though. My dealer warned me that reversing with a heavy trailer or caravan on the back is the quickest way to destroy a DMF. His advice was dont do it!

This is the great advantage of electronic control of the engine speed. The ECU will try to hold the engine revs at about 800 rpm irrespective of the load on it so a (sort of) crawler gear is available. It works great in 1st and will crawl along the flat or up hills at a constant rate.

Give it a try.

Yes I have used that tick over facility in every gear driving in normal conditions, take your point on the clutch slipping not wanting to sound off hand but i am sure i am using the clutch correctly i have been driving for 38 years an advanced car driver and an hgv driver. Don't take my comments the wrong way.Thanks for the info.

hi

I think the smell will be arising because, in reverse, the car not only has to initiate movement (as it does going forward) but it also has to use extra revs and power to overcome the inertia of the reverse-locking system for the first few seconds. It is as if the car is trying to push the van with the brakes being applied - until the device kicks in.

Who remembers the days in caravanning where we had to leap out (in all weathers) and flick a metal flange down onto the nasty greasy telescoping bit behind the actual ball hitch, and then remember to flick it back UP again after the manoeuvre had finished!! If you didnt do that, it meant you'd no brakes at all.

And if you ever had to reverse up a slight incline, before you could flip the flange, the caravan had slid down the greasy pole and applied its own brakes and you could NOT get the flange in the right place.

One final bit of thinking - if you're reversing a twin axle van and attempting even a very slight angle, you will increase the resistance from the tyres.

Edit: an after-boast. Well, I've been driving and towing for 45 years. So there!!!!!

Who's next? Anyone more than 50, or 60 years. Good Soldier? Terf?

Edited by Freshacre

Les,

I think the problem is that we get used to automatically doing certain things, such as slipping the clutch as we reverse the 'van, because that is what we always have done. I've been towing and driving for the same time as you and didn't take into account the "fly by wire" system, as described by Terfyn. Now I have tried it and found it works I've got to remind myself to keep doing it. It isn't easy!!

I have also found it very useful off-road as the car will gently "potter" along quite smoothly. It's another area where it is/was too easy to slip the clutvh.

I could smell my clutch when i first reversed my van, does not smell now as i have a motor mover fitted , brilliant bit of kit .

I could smell my clutch when i first reversed my van, does not smell now as i have a motor mover fitted , brilliant bit of kit .

I have a motor mover fitted and on the last couple of occasions when reversing into position was required i used it , but by the time you mess about with it, i could have moved the van in position on the car and had the kettle on ,take your point though and having spent so much on it i should use it more.

I have a motor mover fitted and on the last couple of occasions when reversing into position was required i used it , but by the time you mess about with it, i could have moved the van in position on the car and had the kettle on ,take your point though and having spent so much on it i should use it more.

Hi Les ,Don't find it a problem to crank the mover on , as the original posting was about clutch burn ,I would rather use the mover to avoid clutch slip, plus SWMBO hand signals impossible to decipher and I still enjoy the novelty of using a remote control to move the van. Happy caravanning..

It's cold outside, so I'm not going out to look for the owners manual, but I've a suspicion that 1st gear has a lower ratio than reverse.

I recall the owners' manual recommending the use of 1st just to get the car rolling when setting off and that an early change to 2nd is ideal. Certainly 1st is an excellent crawler gear off road, so the problem could also be that (whilst trying to get the caravan brakes to unlock), reverse is simply too high a gear - not that there's a choice!