Diesel heating

Llanigraham

Lots of people have commented on the slow warm up from the heater on the diesel models, so here's a few observations from this mornings trip to work:

Time 0425

External temp -2.5

Car parked in the open in the street since 1900 last night.

Car started and driven straight away. (I think about my neighbours!)

Internal temp set to 22

Distribution to screen and upper dash.

Fan with 2 bars.

Within 3 minutes slight warmth can be felt from the dash vents.

Within 8 miles temp is half way up to normal.

At 12 miles temp is normal and I've turned the temp down to 20 and the fan has reduced itself to 1 bar.

When you actually look at those timings it actually isn't that bad!

Lots of people have commented on the slow warm up from the heater on the diesel models, so here's a few observations from this mornings trip to work:

Time 0425

External temp -2.5

Internal temp set to 22

Fan with 2 bars.

At 12 miles temp is normal and I've turned the temp down to 20 and the fan has reduced itself to 1 bar.

I agree. When you see the figures it isn't bad at all.

One thing I have noticed though and I think this is something that happens when the engine isn't up to normal temperature, when descending hills, the temperature gauge drops and the heater can become cooler.

My son's Rover 25 diesel does this and (like the Maestro diesel I had many years ago) is extremely slow to warm up.

John

One thing I have noticed though and I think this is something that happens when the engine isn't up to normal temperature, when descending hills, the temperature gauge drops and the heater can become cooler.

Ah, interesting! The other morning, when it was about minus six, with the sun just beginning to fade up through the mist that clung to the valleys, I drew into a farm gateway in order to take a few pics.

The view across the Usk Valley to the Brecon Beacons was simply stunning, a panorama of perfection with the odd pall of woodsmoke from an early chimney rising vertically for a short way before panning out level. Wonderful.

Anyhow, back to topic, I left the car engine running to keep the inside warm for my frozen return, and since I was only about six miles from home the warm air was just starting, and the temperature gauge had risen 1/3 of the way to normal.

When I jumped back in ten minutes and a good few pics later, the gauge had slipped back to zero.

"Funny," I thought, and it puzzled me - and still does, though at least I am not alone.

Thinking about my experiences with an older car, where the warmth seems to take a lot longer to come through, I'm curious about whether the engine in your car is CR or PD, and whether there is any form of auxiliary heating to generate screen warmth earlier than can be provided by the engine.

The other thought is how you would clear the inside of your windscreen if it had misted up and frozen overnight. For me this is the big issue with diesel engines and lack of heat.

Thinking about my experiences with an older car, where the warmth seems to take a lot longer to come through, I'm curious about whether the engine in your car is CR or PD, and whether there is any form of auxiliary heating to generate screen warmth earlier than can be provided by the engine.

The other thought is how you would clear the inside of your windscreen if it had misted up and frozen overnight. For me this is the big issue with diesel engines and lack of heat.

Gareth,

it's a Yeti, therefore it can't be a PD engine and there is no auxillary heating fitted.

It is a standard UK spec Yeti.

The windscreen doesn't mist up internally, or freeze, so that isn't a problem. If it did I'd wipe it with a duster! As I keep nothing wet in the car I can't see why it should be a problem. Being outside there is plenty of ventilation to stop it happening. Even at -16 the other week the inside didn't freeze up.

Read my comments again; there ISN'T a lack of heat, if I can notice it within 3 minuters. I could have had the distribution to just screen but choose my fingers as well. That is how I noticed the warmth.

Edited by Llanigraham

I have to agree. With the benefit of hind sight I would have specified a heated screen. I'm sure an aftermarket preheater(Webasto , Kenlowe?) would make a sensible buy in this Artic weather.... :yes:

Edited by bilun777

It is a standard UK spec Yeti.

OK I'd thought maybe it would have a PTC heater ... I know they're fitted to a number of older VAG diesel engined cars in the UK.

As I keep nothing wet in the car I can't see why it should be a problem.

We also try to keep our car dry inside but still there is misting that sometimes freezes on the inside. I've wondered whether it is from the climatronic system, or maybe it's just that the car is old and doesn't keep so dry inside :-(

there ISN'T a lack of heat

I was just drawing a comparison with our PD130 which has a distinct lack of warmth for at least the first 10 minutes after starting. It's the main unexpected and unwanted 'feature' of our car, which is why I'm particular interested in how other cars compare.

Time 0425

External temp -2.5

Internal temp set to 22

Fan with 2 bars.

When I jumped back in ten minutes and a good few pics later, the gauge had slipped back to zero.

Note that the water temperature gauge does not start at zero, but at 50°C, so even if the gauge needle is as low as it can go, the temperature can be just under 50°C. Similarly, the oil temperature in the MFD does not show anything tillt he oil temperature is above 50°C.

When I jumped back in ten minutes and a good few pics later, the gauge had slipped back to 50oC.

The operative phrase, Svejk, being "slipped back" - from where it HAD been registering to where it WASN'T registering!! i.e. it got colder whilst idling (like me, I suppose!)

Edited by Freshacre

...there is no auxillary heating fitted

One of the things I was wondering about the Yeti, which is a bit of a disappointment to be honest as I've noticed my diesel engine warms-up quicker when OAT is less than 6C than slightly above it (as no engine heat is being used to heat the cabin)...

Not sure a Yeti would fit in my garage, so perhaps it's the heated windscreen option assuming it's not blighted by the crazy paving a-la Fords.

Are you talking about oil temperature or water temperature?

I'm talking about oil temp.

I had a long drive to the Osteopath today - been driving the Polo for too longemoticon-0149-no.gif.

back on topic.

The 2 mile drive took 12 minutes and the oil temp just registered 52 degs just before I stopped Elsie.

I do not normally drive such short distances. I later drove for over a hour over to sutton and back via Loadswine for a chinwag & look at each others SM's. Oil temp rose to 92, then dropped to 90 for the rest of the journey.

Mike

Time 0425

External temp -2.5

Internal temp set to 22

Fan with 2 bars.

Depends on what sort of terrain you have to tackle on your way.

For the majority of my journey to work its downhill, with there being 2 slight uphill sections before it goes onto the level. Given the temps are around 0 degrees i can get to work before the thermostat opens.

So for the 30-40min drive to work (8-9miles), i can be quite cold still when i get to work.

Coming home i can get around 3 miles into my journey and the car is starting to get to around 70 degrees.

I've often thought about covering a small proportion of the radiator/intercooler to aid warmup in winter.

I'm not sure about UK specced SMs, but at least in Finland the diesel ones have an extra electric heater somewhere in the ventilation system to compensate for the engines lack of excess heat (= fuel efficency!). I had that on my PD Roomster as well, and I startet getting warm air within seconds of starting the engine. This is really the only thing I miss from my Roomie having switched to a 1.2 TSI (and of course the cost of fueling up)

I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by how quickly the Yeti heats up in temperatures below 5 degrees.  I was dreading this cold car after having had a diesel car for 9 years with a built in diesel powered Webaste auxilary heater.  I need not have worried.  The heat comes quickly - within 3 minutes as Llanigraham said.  And if you have the heated seats they are on long before that and does the trick.  Not so good for peeps in the back but I don't have people back there often to be honest so it does not worry me.

Depends on what sort of terrain you have to tackle on your way.

For the majority of my journey to work its downhill, with there being 2 slight uphill sections before it goes onto the level. Given the temps are around 0 degrees i can get to work before the thermostat opens.

So for the 30-40min drive to work (8-9miles), i can be quite cold still when i get to work.

Coming home i can get around 3 miles into my journey and the car is starting to get to around 70 degrees.

I've often thought about covering a small proportion of the radiator/intercooler to aid warmup in winter.

My 48 mile journey to work doesn't take me much longer than that!! Glad i don't live in "urbanity" any more!!

It is pointless covering up part of the rad nowadays, as water doesn't circulate to it until the thermostat opens anyway, and don't EVER cover up the intercooler.

• 4 weeks later...

........ the oil temperature in the MFD does not show anything tillt he oil temperature is above 50°C.

Having got Kevin (my Yeti) a few days ago I am now exploring how he works.

I do not appear to have 'oil temperature' in my MDF selection.

I've been into the setup to see what display readings I can select (or not) e.g. range, consumption, speed warning etc. but 'oil temperature' is not there. I've read the handbook but can't seem to find any further way of changing the settings.

Am I missing something?

What servicing regime are you on B?

I think oil temp is disabled if you're on T & D?

Ah yes; I remember reading about this.

Servicing is meant to be set to 'Variable' but when I scrolled through the MFD info it showed 9,300 miles/372 days which looks remarkably like it is set to 'fixed'.

This is something I was going to speak to my dealer about and perhaps once set to 'variable' (as it should be) I will get the Oil Temp display available.

I've spoken to my Dealer's Service manager who says that Yeti was set to T&D (not variable); the message to have Variable set clearly did not get through from Sales to Service.

Will call by on Saturday and get it change and then, hopefully, I'll have Oil Temp to look at.

I've spoken to my Dealer's Service manager who says that Yeti was set to T&D (not variable); the message to have Variable set clearly did not get through from Sales to Service.

Will call by on Saturday and get it change and then, hopefully, I'll have Oil Temp to look at.

So they changed it as it leaves the factory on variable.......

Mike