HELP! Felicia 1.9 Diesel Fuel Pump Problem

tom1979

Within a period of about 2 weeks, the pickups gone from starting on the touch of a key, to not starting and dieing again, to not starting at all. at first we could jump or tow start it. some times cranked a long time to start. i suspected low compression maybe, or battery and plugs.

however SKODA took the car in and quoted... wait for it... 2300quid! apparently the fuel pump is knackered! so thats over 2k for a pump... plus vat... plus labour!

now im no expert but this really doesnt sound right... and the guvner certainly wont be forking out that much on a T reg pickup.

ive been told theres an immobiliser built into the pump in the form of a solanoid, and skoda say its in no way connected to the ecu.

does anyone know how to over ride the pump, giving it a switched +12v? or if its possible?

or could i replace the whole pump for an earlyer model? is it mechanical or elec? i havent had chance to play with it yet so thought id get some insight here first. skoda r saying the immobiliser part is shot.

this van needs to be on the road asap!

thanx guys.

Within a period of about 2 weeks' date=' the pickups gone from starting on the touch of a key, to not starting and dieing again, to not starting at all. at first we could jump or tow start it. some times cranked a long time to start. i suspected low compression maybe, or battery and plugs.

however SKODA took the car in and quoted... wait for it... 2300quid! apparently the fuel pump is knackered! so thats over 2k for a pump... plus vat... plus labour!

now im no expert but this really doesnt sound right... and the guvner certainly wont be forking out that much on a T reg pickup.

ive been told theres an immobiliser built into the pump in the form of a solanoid, and skoda say its in no way connected to the ecu.

does anyone know how to over ride the pump, giving it a switched +12v? or if its possible?

or could i replace the whole pump for an earlyer model? is it mechanical or elec? i havent had chance to play with it yet so thought id get some insight here first. skoda r saying the immobiliser part is shot.

this van needs to be on the road asap!

thanx guys.[/quote']

right first of all yes the injection pump is that amount of money :eek: and yes the immobiliser is located at the bottom of the pump no there is no way of over-riding it, have you tried the other key to see if it is a fault with one of the keys also if there was a immobiliser fault there will be a fault in either the diesel pump (41) or the immobiliser (25) ecu's also i would try the glow plugs first as the inj pump fuel cut off switch only becomes live when the engine is running so therefore many attempts at starting engine will exhaust all the fuel in the pump. hope this makes sense any queries don't hesitate to contact me btw if it does need a new pump go to roadside rescue in poole to get a used one you can remove the immobiliser unit at the bottom of the pump and swap for yours so your keys will work regards k.

so are you suggesting changing the plugs could solve it... as in this may have caused the initial failure to start, therefore running the pump dry? if so would skoda not have worked this out?

also they said its the pump, so is there anyway i can test the immobiliser is functioning correctly?

how many wires are there on the immobiliser solenoid? does it give a feedback to the ecu? or just take a feed from the ecu?

also where would i find the engine code and ecus?!

cheers.

tom

so are you suggesting changing the plugs could solve it... as in this may have caused the initial failure to start' date=' therefore running the pump dry? if so would skoda not have worked this out?

also they said its the pump, so is there anyway i can test the immobiliser is functioning correctly?

how many wires are there on the immobiliser solenoid? does it give a feedback to the ecu? or just take a feed from the ecu?

also where would i find the engine code and ecus?!

cheers.

tom[/quote']

yes it could be the glow plugs (it's the cheapest option to try first) you can test the immobiliser with vag-com or the dealer diagnostics machine the engine code is AEF the ecu is a ecu but looks like a relay on the n/s/f inner wing, would the skoda dealer not pick any of this up dunno don't know the technician concerned, like previously mentioned have you got/tried both keys? also can you get anyone to read any fault codes in 41 (diesel pump electrics) and 25 (immobiliser) where about are you based in the country. regards k.

• 7 years later...