Romania's French powered Yeti

Bassa

You see those Dusters all over France. I saw far more of them than I saw Yetis. At the Paris Motor show I had a look. You can't hope for a more honest decent car than a Duster. It looks a bit weird from the front to me and I can't stand unpainted B and C pillars on any car (bar the Yeti's "designed" B of course!) but it looks fine to me for what it is. And for the money you can't get more car. Yes the interior is basic and there is no climate control or fancy touch screen radios, but just look at the price!

In this month's CAR magazine it was voted one of their top 10 biggest cars of 2010... So the Yeti E and S better be worried!

As Skoda loses its bargain basement position and moves up the desirability scale there is room underneath for a new kid on the block.

Same as supermarkets - Morrison, Tesco, Asda et al move upmarket leaving room at the bottom for Netto and Lidl.

I bet there are large numbers of "low end" manufacturers looking at Skoda and thinking "we can do that too!". Kia for one.

BTW - I hope that there is not an element of badge snobbery creeping in here ;);):giggle:

Kitten and I looked at the Kia Sportage and Sorrento before deciding on the Yeti.

We both thought the finish on the Kia vehicles was cheaper and less quality than the finish on the Yeti.

We also thought that Kia had 'prices themselves out of the market' and were more expensive than Skoda for a tacky/plastic interior and less options for more money.

Glad we chose Skoda in the end. :yes:

We also thought that Kia had 'prices themselves out of the market'

Agree, I looked at the new Sportage and it seems to be in the exact same price bracket as the Yeti but without the benefit of the VAG input.

Agree, I looked at the new Sportage and it seems to be in the exact same price bracket as the Yeti but without the benefit of the VAG input.

Captain Slow wants the hatchback Sandero...I think there would be a market for the Dacia range here to be honest. There are those who just want basic transport. I don't think they will have much trouble sorting a dealer network too. One brand that will struggle here in Blighty is MG/Roewe, if they ever launch the cars..

You see those Dusters all over France. I saw far more of them than I saw Yetis. At the Paris Motor show I had a look. You can't hope for a more honest decent car than a Duster. It looks a bit weird from the front to me and I can't stand unpainted B and C pillars on any car (bar the Yeti's "designed" B of course!) but it looks fine to me for what it is. And for the money you can't get more car. Yes the interior is basic and there is no climate control or fancy touch screen radios, but just look at the price!

In this month's CAR magazine it was voted one of their top 10 biggest cars of 2010... So the Yeti E and S better be worried!

I recently had a long test drive in a diesel Duster when I was looking to change my 4X4 Octavia, I actualy ended up with a Suzuki Grand Vitara demonstator, but the Duster was extremely impressive. Very comfortable, didnt feel low rent. OK the plastics are hard, so what, they will last just as long as soft touch kit. It handled very well and with a very low ratio first gear, would be capable off road. Watch the videos! For the money its a lot of car. Should Skoda be worried? Oh yes, as should a lot of other manufacturers. Its selling like hot cakes, waiting list is 8 months in France

One brand that will struggle here in Blighty is MG/Roewe, if they ever launch the cars..

They can't even sell the ones they've already built!

"I’ve heard that of the 3500 or so roadster models that SAIC/Nanjing built in the largely vacated former MG Rover plant in Longbridge, U.K., a couple of years ago, almost 3200 are still unsold..."

From: http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-continental-saics-lack-of-strategy-great-wall%e2%80%99s-throwback-styling-and-the-audi-rs4-dies-but-the-rs6-continues/

A few years ago I went to see a friend in Cornwall and found an MG/Rover dealer in his town - Newlyn. It had a then new orange 58 MGF in the window. I was (seemingly) still there when I went to Newlyn for Christmas!!!

But back to Dacia. A good dealership chain will be key to their success. emoticon-0136-giggle.gifTiny back-road Proton type dealers won’t do. But then Dacia is part of Renault so they might just be sharing floor space next to, or with Renault show rooms… Which will help their credibility a great deal. Or will it?!

When they introduced the Sandero, entry to the UK was ruled out on the basis of vaguaries of the Euro rate of exhange with the Pound - I think recent history has shown this to be a wise decision on Renault's behalf although this is a shame for UK consumers as a genuine low-priced quality car has substantially more appeal than a Proton Savvy (sic), for example.

Perhaps with near parity of the Euro/ Pound, if the case for the Duster makes sense then why not...

When they introduced the Sandero, entry to the UK was ruled out on the basis of vaguaries of the Euro rate of exhange with the Pound - I think recent history has shown this to be a wise decision on Renault's behalf although this is a shame for UK consumers as a genuine low-priced quality car has substantially more appeal than a Proton Savvy (sic), for example.

Perhaps with near parity of the Euro/ Pound, if the case for the Duster makes sense then why not...

If, as I suspect, Dacia upgrade the interior for the UK then the Duster will provide formidable competition in the increasingly crowded cross-over market. All the road reports have been excellent and I don't think Skoda has built the long term reputation to persuade potential buyers to prefer them to a Renault Dacia.

I remember when I lived in the USA in the 90's SUV's became incredibly popular very quickly and Jeep was king. Then every manufacturer brought out an SUV and the market quickly changed and became a lot more competitive.

The reviews of the Dacia Duster are favourable with 4/5 star ratings.

I like the independent suspension all-round on the 4x4 version and I very much like the light weight: < 1300kg for diesel 4x4 is impressive!

I bet it squeaks and has much more NVH (noise vibrations harshness) than the Yeti.

But if they are really about 5000 pounds cheaper, it would take a dedicated DSG high-build follower to go for the Yeti over the curvy lighter Duster!

Let's see what the UK actually receives in terms of priced Dusters - I suspect it will only be a 1000 or so less than the Yeti which won't tempt many!

The reviews of the Dacia Duster are favourable with 4/5 star ratings.

I like the independent suspension all-round on the 4x4 version and I very much like the light weight: < 1300kg for diesel 4x4 is impressive!

I bet it squeaks and has much more NVH (noise vibrations harshness) than the Yeti.

But if they are really about 5000 pounds cheaper, it would take a dedicated DSG high-build follower to go for the Yeti over the curvy lighter Duster!

Let's see what the UK actually receives in terms of priced Dusters - I suspect it will only be a 1000 or so less than the Yeti which won't tempt many!

I suspect the UK will get the same as the rest of Europe. Prices start here at 10200 up to 16500 for the top model with leather sterling at current rates, the one I tested had no squeaks or rattles, unlike the Yetis I had tested, and the skid plate underneath is in 6mm aluminium not plastic - Skoda take note! For the money a very interesting piece of kit.

We also thought that Kia had 'prices themselves out of the market' and were more expensive than Skoda for a tacky/plastic interior and less options for more money.

i owned a Sorento, and looked and the new model Sorento for a replacement - ok, it's got a 100,000k warranty (or 7 years) but for £32,000's for the Top Spec, and it still dont reach into the spec of my Superb Estate... we do still own a Cee'd for the wife - it represents great value for money as a run around, but is plasticky.

The Dacia, if priced right, will sell very well.

Al.

They sell well in France because they appear to be marketed as a cheap Renault, and the French are very good at supporting their own over imports, which is why the market share by most imports is so low.

I wonder how many Brits will be put off because they remember the original Dacia Duster!!

They sell well in France because they appear to be marketed as a cheap Renault, and the French are very good at supporting their own over imports, which is why the market share by most imports is so low.

I wonder how many Brits will be put off because they remember the original Dacia Duster!!

and for those that don't :- http://www.autoevolution.com/testdrive/dacia-duster-16-4x4-16v-2010/chapterimage-4491.html<br><br><br><br>

Edited by Bassa

Dacia are connected to Renault but on the whole are sold through separate dealers. They sell well simply because they are well priced and are the most reliable car sold in France in the surveys.

Dacia are connected to Renault but on the whole are sold through separate dealers. They sell well simply because they are well priced and are the most reliable car sold in France in the surveys.

Do you have a seperate network of Dacia dealers in France, or are they associated with the Renault outlets?

I could envisage them selling in the UK if they were (i) cheaper than the competition, whilst appearing capable, and (ii) If the network was reasonably comprehensive - and I could only realistically see that happening by tying them in with the existing Renault showrooms, somehow. To create a national network from scratch sounds like quite a task and not many want to buy a new motor knowing their dealer was many miles away and that there were very few dealers in the country anyway. Not due till 2012 so I guess a lot can happen in the meantime. Maybe the sales showrooms could be newly created with servicing done at Renault garages, of which there are quite a few.

Do you have a seperate network of Dacia dealers in France, or are they associated with the Renault outlets?

I could envisage them selling in the UK if they were (i) cheaper than the competition, whilst appearing capable, and (ii) If the network was reasonably comprehensive - and I could only realistically see that happening by tying them in with the existing Renault showrooms, somehow. To create a national network from scratch sounds like quite a task and not many want to buy a new motor knowing their dealer was many miles away and that there were very few dealers in the country anyway. Not due till 2012 so I guess a lot can happen in the meantime. Maybe the sales showrooms could be newly created with servicing done at Renault garages, of which there are quite a few.

There seem to be specific Dacia garages but you can test and order from the local Renault dealers as well, probably acting as agencies for Dacia. I believe the first day the Duster was displayed, Dacia took over 5000 orders and now the waiting list is up to 8 months here. You certainly see more Dusters around than Yetis, but there again a top spec Yeti is over 28K in sterling, too much for what it is.

On my most recent trip to France (December) I was amazed at the number of Dacia Dusters that had suddenly appeared on the roads since my autumn trip. 4x4s are quite popular in Provence - I guess it's partly the Chelsea tractor/fashion accessory syndrome but then again a good few of them may be used for getting up onto the ski slopes or indeed just to negotiate some of what are humorously known as 'roads' in the Provencal hinterland.