Goodrich All Terrain Tyres

Rob The Dog

Hi, have any of you found out which B F Goodrich All Terrain tyre size suits the yeti best ? Have any of you done it and bought a set ? I see from the Goodrich site there are several tyres that look lke they might fit, subject to choosing the right wheels, and there lies part of the problem, 16 inch wheels ? and therefore what aspect ratio, or would 15inch wheels fit with bigger side walls, would 15 inch wheels clear the discs and calipers ?

When I place my order for a 4x4 Yeti , I want to think when I go off road or we run into another bad winter it will cope, and I know when we take it abroad and explore we will find a use for them ! the only problem I think needs sorting out is the overall circumference of the chosen Goodrich / wheel combination, so it matches the size of the yeti combination and therefore the indicated MPH won't be affected, Thanx in advance Rob.

Edited by Rob The Dog

Titre size calculator here: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I do not think that the 15 inch wheels will clear the brakes, certainly not on a 2.0 TDI 170 hp.

You should be aware that off-road tires are not winter tyres. They should be fine in deep snow, but will not be good on slippery/cold/wet/icy winter roads.

In my experience they are fairly good in the winter on ice etc...

OK, they are not winter tyres, but they cope better than summer tyres. More of an all-season maybe with a bit of off-road capability?

Mine always used to last about 50k+ miles too.

They are famous for long life. On one Defender I had they were half worn after 50k miles as it was mostly motorway travel.

They have very strong sidewalls so you are less likely to get a puncture too.

Would very grippy tyres like these not make your car basically a 2WD? Haldex only works when it detects slippage. So if your rear wheels never slip due to their increased grip, you will as a result also never have power sent there?

Would very grippy tyres like these not make your car basically a 2WD? Haldex only works when it detects slippage. So if your rear wheels never slip due to their increased grip, you will as a result also never have power sent there?

But if you never slipped then you would not need the Haldex. Does that make sense? After all you only want the Haldex there to keep you moving in the direction you want to go.

BFG All Terrains are excellent, I had them on my Nissan Patrol and they work brilliantly on tarmac, unmade roads, mud, snow, everything.

BFG Mud Terrains are amazing. Had a set of these on my Landcruiser and it would go anywhere (apart from past a petrol station), but it made driving on tarmac pretty horrible the noise was annoying, and driving them in the wet on tarmac wasn't nice it became very skittish.

BFG AT tyres would be perfect for you as they give an excellent all round ability, great for the dusty tracks of Spain!

Or I'd also suggest considering Yokohama Geolandar All-Terrain I had a set on my Jeep Grand Cherokee and that did brilliantly in mud and deep snow (I took it to Norway in Feb!).

Kind of got me thinking....

The 16" Spectrum wheel from the Superb will fit the Yeti at £142 each and those Yokohama Geolandar AT tyres are £90 each. I wonder if some customers would opt for AT tyres with 16" as an 'option' when ordering new?

I know a couple of my customers are using their Yetis for genuine offroad bits to do with their hobbies and jobs and I think having AT tyres would be useful to come people.

TP - Would a 16" wheel be okay to fit over the brakes of the 170CR? Will there be any problems with using a 215 section tyre in terms on stability, I shouldn't think so myself but always like to get other peoples opinions.

Would be nice if you could spec 16" alloy wheels from the factory really.

Yes, yes, yes. Do Skoda take notice of dealers suggestions?

It is something I can suggest and try to get available from the factory. SkodaUK are very good and do listen to suggestions so perhaps they will be able to do something in the future with regards to 16" wheels straight from the factory, then you could fit more aggressive tyres straight from new.

The 16" Spectrum wheel from the Superb will fit the Yeti at £142 each and those Yokohama Geolandar AT tyres are £90 each. I wonder if some customers would opt for AT tyres with 16" as an 'option' when ordering new?

I know a couple of my customers are using their Yetis for genuine offroad bits to do with their hobbies and jobs and I think having AT tyres would be useful to come people.

TP - Would a 16" wheel be okay to fit over the brakes of the 170CR? Will there be any problems with using a 215 section tyre in terms on stability, I shouldn't think so myself but always like to get other peoples opinions.

Hi James,

yes the Spectrum and Moon alloys fit with the 312 brake systems of the 170. European owners can spec the 170 with the Ambition (SE) spec which has the 16" Moons as standard.

Regards,

TP

Edited by The Plumber

I agree it would be nice to have been able to spec 16inch alloys - there's a much larger range of tyres available, especially winter ones. Whatever made Skoda design the yeti for such a off-side wheel/tyre size defeats me somewhat.

BFG ATs were great on my Landy's, and I concur with Richard re tyre wear. I did 36K miles, the majority on tarmac, in my last Defender XS, and hardly saw any wear. I guess 'proper', permanent, 4 wheel drive evens things out that much more. I have a friend with the mud-terrains on a Forester - you need ear muffs on the motorway, and it makes your eye-balls fall out. I don't think he's ever got stuck anywhere, though...

Thanx for the replies, and all that great info, I like the sound of the BF Goodrich AT's , but a quick look at the tyre size comparison site, surgests the circumference difference will be too great for gauging ones speed, the problem is the Googrich AT's smallest sidewall is 70 and depending on the tyre width could see circumference diffs of up to 9%, So the Yokohama Geolander 215/60/R16 looks a very good option and by accounts it should be a good tyre for long life as well as good on/off road performance. I think it would be wonderful if the factory would give an option for Yeti SE & Elegance to be fitted with 16inch wheels from new, Great idea !

Edited by Rob The Dog
  • Like 1

Hi James,

yes the Spectrum and Moon alloys fit with the 312 brake systems of the 170. European owners can spec the 170 with the Ambition (SE) spec which has the 16" Moons as standard.

Regards,

TP

And they work very well too.

I drive a 2wd in 'S' guise which means a number of things:

I'm on 16" already

Having spent the past 12 years in an AWD car certain situations down here give me a little more pause for thought than they would have done previously.

I only got 10K out of the Conti premium contact 2s on the front and am looking for new boots.

The Yokohamas have come up in conversation with my local tyre chap and look like they may be a good option. A quick google suggests that they are one of the default choices for Forester drivers.