The ultimate Mk2 wheel whore thread

8.5 ET45 will fill out the arches completely. And if your rear axle is a little out of the middle (this is no strange thing, all within the build tolerances) it could eventually rub.

8.5 ET48 with 225/35 19 tyres is known to be without problems.

If you compare it with the std sizes:

8.5 width is 25.4mm more than 7.5. Means the wheel (with the same ET) will stick out a 12.7mm more to the outside as well as to the inside.

This with the plus 6mm of the offset (ET), from 51 to 45 is 6mm. Means 12.7 plus 6 = 18.7mm more to the outside.

At the moment you are running std wheels plus 15mm to the outside.

Means the difference is almost 4mm more to the outside for the 19" compared to the std Zeniths with spacers.

See whether your wheels can come out another 4mm without rubbing.

But there is still another thing to think of. Tyres are built differently, there are tyres that are more rectangular and there are tyres that are more roundish in the same size.

A roundish tyre will not rub and the rectangular one in the same size can rub.

Also tyres in the same width can differ in actuall width.

On a 8.5" 19 wheel a 225/35 will not be that rectangular (hard to explain, I mean the cross section of a tyre) as a 235/35.

To all those impatient people out there, here's some teasers.....and yes, I know the car's filthy again

DSC_5723.jpg

DSC_5724.jpg

DSC_5725.jpg

Edited by Brimma

look really good

whats going in the centres though

Thanks

At the moment the standard chrome finish Compomotive caps - haven't checked the dimensions yet to see if Skoda caps fit

Edited by Brimma

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Wow, right size, right color, right design (similar to the BBS :yes: ).

Looks wonderfull, car is low enough to cope with the bigger wheels. And the brembos fit nice B)

One more piccie from the side with the entire car on please. :p

And the car can stay filthy, as long as the wheels are clean. :giggle:

Edited by magic62

One more piccie from the side with the entire car on please. :p

Cheers Mike - the side on shot will have to wait until they are fitted - those were just the wheel up against the current ones, so had to take it totally side on :)

Excellent choice fella

They look fantastic :thumbup:

Damo

Cheers damo - good to see you back in the Skoda fold

Edited by Brimma

That looks braw. Wasn't sure when you originally posted up the photoshop, but not I see them sitting next to the car as if they were fitted I like them.

Took me a few seconds to work out too that they weren't actually fitted!

:o I actually think they look sh.......tunning :D

Where have your black headlamps gone though?? :wonder:

Cheers

Black headlamps popped a bulb not long after fitting, and they've not gone back on yet

Good times!!! They look ace.

Thanks

EPIC!They look brilliant Mr Brimma.Excellent choice B)

Why thank you Mr Ward, praise indeed :)

That looks braw. Wasn't sure when you originally posted up the photoshop, but not I see them sitting next to the car as if they were fitted I like them

Thanks again

Edited by Brimma

Nice drop, what suspension are you running? Brembo's look class as well. I know someone who can spray those alloys for you as well. :p

Vmaxx coilovers on the minimum 30mm drop - no point going any lower.....

......and can you send the details of your mate - I hate the gold :rofl:

didn't think they would suit the car..................but I was wrong! Looking good Brimma!!...........The car that is :rofl:

Excellent :thumbup:

I know I look sh*te :(

8.5 ET45 will fill out the arches completely. And if your rear axle is a little out of the middle (this is no strange thing, all within the build tolerances) it could eventually rub.

8.5 ET48 with 225/35 19 tyres is known to be without problems.

If you compare it with the std sizes:

8.5 width is 25.4mm more than 7.5. Means the wheel (with the same ET) will stick out a 12.7mm more to the outside as well as to the inside.

This with the plus 6mm of the offset (ET), from 51 to 45 is 6mm. Means 12.7 plus 6 = 18.7mm more to the outside.

At the moment you are running std wheels plus 15mm to the outside.

Means the difference is almost 4mm more to the outside for the 19" compared to the std Zeniths with spacers.

See whether your wheels can come out another 4mm without rubbing.

But there is still another thing to think of. Tyres are built differently, there are tyres that are more rectangular and there are tyres that are more roundish in the same size.

A roundish tyre will not rub and the rectangular one in the same size can rub.

Also tyres in the same width can differ in actuall width.

On a 8.5" 19 wheel a 225/35 will not be that rectangular (hard to explain, I mean the cross section of a tyre) as a 235/35.

Thanks for that, really appreciate it - now I have a much better idea in my head how it all works. I know what you mean about the tyre being rectangular (or at least I think I do) - the shoulders of the tyre will be more rounded on a 225 profile.

I honestly don't think that I have 4mm to spare at the moment, although I will check properly once it stops ****ing down up here in Scotland (so gawd knows when that will be!).

The tyres I was hoping to get Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas if I went for the 19's - I've had them on my previous car and really rate them. Can't remember what the shoulder is like on them though.

The other option is to go for the similar-looking Neuspped RSe14's, which come in 8J width. ET45 still, so this would mean the Neuspeeds would come 12mm closer to the arch than the standard wheels with no spacers? i.e. 3mm LESS than the rear wheels sit at the moment? Have I got that right?

:thumbup:

6.35mm for the extra width and 6mm for the ET.

The 8.5 ET48s do fit without any modifications, Maybe you only have to remove the screw in the arches and remove the

little lip (metall) that protrudes a little. (3mm isnt that much).

:thumbup:

6.35mm for the extra width and 6mm for the ET.

The 8.5 ET48s do fit without any modifications, Maybe you only have to remove the screw in the arches and remove the

little lip (metall) that protrudes a little. (3mm isnt that much).

Both wheels I am looking at are ET45 though, so at the moment I either have the option of going for the Neuspeed RSe14's which are 8J and will probably fit ok (as they should sit 3mm futher in that the standard wheels with the 15mm spacers) or the 8.5J VMR V710's which will sit 4mm closer to the arch which I don't think is a go-er.

Acht, nothing is ever easy is it! Especially when I prefer the VMR wheels.