The ultimate Mk2 wheel whore thread

BTW - the ultimate wheel currently in production, in my opinion, nicer even than the various special edition LMs and RS-GTs, much nicer than SuperRSs...

Behold - the wonder that is the RE-Mg...

4277807611_4885c78162_o.jpg

Flawless looks, magnesium, blue centers, 7.2kg in an 18. B)

I think I costed the RE-Mgs up at something just over 6k + plus shipping from Japan! If it wasn't for that slight obstacle, I'd hapilly run wobble bolts to get those bad boys on.

Whizzler - no that would put you at ET11. Taking into account the additional 1/2" width of the wheel, the outer would be nearly 5cm further out than standard. I think you're thinking of ET offsets the wrong way around - the way it works is the lower the ET number, the further out the wheel sits. See http://www.1010tires.com/wheeloffsetcalculator.asp.

Yeah thats what i thought :( Was looking at merc wheels that are et31 but i have seen adapters for this of which the smallest are 20mm.

Which leads me to my second question.

Why when currently i have 5*112 and c bore of 57.1 would i need adapters to fit merc wheels of the same spec and further more why do H&R make said adapters? Have i missed something here?

Thanks

Yeah thats what i thought :( Was looking at merc wheels that are et31 but i have seen adapters for this of which the smallest are 20mm.

Which leads me to my second question.

Why when currently i have 5*112 and c bore of 57.1 would i need adapters to fit merc wheels of the same spec and further more why do H&R make said adapters? Have i missed something here?

Thanks

Wizzer - there ARE merc wheels that have the right centre bore and pcd but the offset does not suit the octavia. Check out the link in nick's post above - that will show you how the oe wheel compares to your proposed rim. The combination of rim width and offset will define how it sits in the arch - you don't want it too far in (clash with the shocker, caused by too high offset or rim too wide) or too far out (clash with the bodywork, caused by too low offset or rim too wide)

HTH.

Thanks for the help there :)

Well assuming they fit with out adapters i will be looking at the below differences as im going from et51 to et 31 and 7.5 wide to 8 wide.

Outer positions EXTEND an extra 26mm

Innner clearance 14mm MORE

Thanks again

Thanks for the help there :)

Well assuming they fit with out adapters i will be looking at the below differences as im going from et51 to et 31 and 7.5 wide to 8 wide.

Outer positions EXTEND an extra 26mm

Innner clearance 14mm MORE

Thanks again

Yeah, as said the PCD and centre bore work, but the offset doesn't. With the decrease in offset against standard, and the increase in wheel width, it's going to cause you issue I feel. Rubbing at the rear, and rubbing from the fronts on full lock....