New to DSG

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you need to but I do. Some people suggest the clutch is always engaged if not in neutral though I am unconvinced. Multidisc clutches do tend to drag even when disengaged.

I always slip it into 'N' when stopped at lights, I think it may prevent some drag on the transmission, but I may be wrong. You can then set the handbrake and take your foot off the pedal so as not to blind the driver behind with your brake lights.

Mac

I always slip it into 'N' when stopped at lights, I think it may prevent some drag on the transmission, but I may be wrong. You can then set the handbrake and take your foot off the pedal so as not to blind the driver behind with your brake lights.

Mac

+1

People say DSGs don't creep, but I can assure they do, so surely there must be some drag holding it on the footbrake

Thank you, thank you & thank you again!! :thumbup:

Does my **** in when inconsiderate #$&@":swear:#$& sit at lights with their foot firmly planted on the brake giving me 50W+ of retina burn!!! :@

Sorry you feel that way because I do this and am surprised it could bother you.

I only use the parking brake for parking and waiting but was at one time taught to put it on and take it off etc etc.

If staying still for more than a few seconds then yes I know both the 6 speed (wet clutches)and 7 speed (dry clutches) into a Neutral and often in to Park if I know it is going 2 or 3 minutes or more, one day it will work great with Stop-Start.

Use Neutral a lot when moving as well, coasting up to junctions, down long hill and it seems to improve fuel consumption by a mile or 2 mpg.

Do not like the need to depress the brake when still or under 1 or 2 mph as it sometimes means you have to stop to engage Drive or Sports when one is trickle rolling but the lock comes off when doing over 2 mph so you can freely knock it in and out of neutral at 10,20,30,40, 50, 60, 70, 80 etc.

Wonderful system, I choose the gearbox before choosing the engine as the 7 speed improve fuel consumption by about 5% on the TSIs, marvelous, shame it is not provided on the VRS yet. Suppose to only take 250 Nm but some experts reckon it will take 380 Nm so hopefully it will be available on the TSI and CR VRS in the next year or so.

Does my **** in when inconsiderate #$&@":swear:#$& sit at lights with their foot firmly planted on the brake giving me 50W+ of retina burn!!! :@

If your eyes are that sensitive I think a pair of brake lights are the least of your worries.

Can't say I've ever been that bothered...

If your eyes are that sensitive I think a pair of brake lights are the least of your worries.

Can't say I've ever been that bothered...

If your eyes aren't sensitive to the equivalent of 3 fog lights shining in your face from 3 yards at night then I'd say you are the one who should be worried!

I know things change but I was taught to put the handbrake on and out it in to neutral if i was waiting for more than two seconds. If someone then rear ended you you have a better chance of not going in to the car in front. Maybe that has changed now, as some manufacturers now have stop start only when your foot is on the brake. Stupid in my opinion but there you go!

I always drop any auto box into neutral if stopping for lights, I'm not sure if it matters on the DSG, I believe the clutches are disengaged when the brake is applied.

BTW coasting in neutral is a no-no according to the Highway Code.

Although fog lights are also 21W they are often much brighter than brake lights due to the reflector and lens that focus and direct the light.

I've never been dazzled or blinded by a brake light bulb and certainly don't let it upset me like in an earlier post.

May be this will change with the popularity of LED's?

Assuming I'm sat in traffic I don't feel the need to look directly at the bulbs. Leaving a sensible gap also helps.

I only use the handbrake for hill starts and parking.

My inicators are 21W too, maybe that's why increasing numbers of motorists no longer feel the need to indicate, there was me thinking they were inconsiderate, now I can see they are thinking of me and are actually worried about dazzling me :giggle:

If staying still for more than a few seconds then yes I know both the 6 speed (wet clutches)and 7 speed (dry clutches) into a Neutral and often in to Park if I know it is going 2 or 3 minutes or more, one day it will work great with Stop-Start.

Use Neutral a lot when moving as well, coasting up to junctions, down long hill and it seems to improve fuel consumption by a mile or 2 mpg.

Do not like the need to depress the brake when still or under 1 or 2 mph as it sometimes means you have to stop to engage Drive or Sports when one is trickle rolling but the lock comes off when doing over 2 mph so you can freely knock it in and out of neutral at 10,20,30,40, 50, 60, 70, 80 etc.

Wonderful system, I choose the gearbox before choosing the engine as the 7 speed improve fuel consumption by about 5% on the TSIs, marvelous, shame it is not provided on the VRS yet. Suppose to only take 250 Nm but some experts reckon it will take 380 Nm so hopefully it will be available on the TSI and CR VRS in the next year or so.

Neutral actually uses fuel as well as being illegal, whereas taking foot off the gas whilst the engine is in gear it will cut the fuel supply altogether using no fuel!

Using the brake is fine when stationary as the clutch is disengaged as long as the accelerator isn't pressed. It is advisable to put it into neutral with the handbrake though to show courtesy to other road users as per the highway code.

The DSG has measures in place to prevent overheating so don't worry about cooking the clutches.

Although fog lights are also 21W they are often much brighter than brake lights due to the reflector and lens that focus and direct the light.

I've never been dazzled or blinded by a brake light bulb and certainly don't let it upset me like in an earlier post.

May be this will change with the popularity of LED's?

Assuming I'm sat in traffic I don't feel the need to look directly at the bulbs. Leaving a sensible gap also helps.

I only use the handbrake for hill starts and parking.

My inicators are 21W too, maybe that's why increasing numbers of motorists no longer feel the need to indicate, there was me thinking they were inconsiderate, now I can see they are thinking of me and are actually worried about dazzling me :giggle:

I would refresh yourself on the highway code:

You MUST NOT

* use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders

* use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226)

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.

Brake lights do dazzle and cause discomfort....leaving a gap makes no difference, the handbrake is there for a reason so use it!

Neutral actually uses fuel as well as being illegal, whereas taking foot off the gas whilst the engine is in gear it will cut the fuel supply altogether using no fuel!

Using the brake is fine when stationary as the clutch is disengaged as long as the accelerator isn't pressed. It is advisable to put it into neutral with the handbrake though to show courtesy to other road users as per the highway code.

The DSG has measures in place to prevent overheating so don't worry about cooking the clutches.

Deja Vu.

What Section of what Traffic Act is being in neutral specifically illegal?

Manuals are in neutral about 10% of the time as you change up the box, should there be a minimum time one should be between gears 5th to 6th , Sports to Drive? You know my view is that being in neutral down hills or coasting to a junction is not "not in control", my hand is on the Prindle stick and I can engage Drive is less than a tenth of a second.

I know one can save fuel by coasting and maintaining more momentum by going in to neutral rather than staying in gear and losing energy by the potential energy being wasted in rotating the engine at 2 or 3 K rpm and my fuel consumption matching or bettering the published figures of 43 mpg combined and 52 mpg extra urban for the 1.8 TSI demostrates the validity of the technique IMHO.

The DSG makes this possible but it is not so easy to do in a manual so rarely do it in the manuals ie 3 moves to get back in gear ie half a second rather than a tiny fraction of that with the DSG.

Deja Vu.

What Section of what Traffic Act is being in neutral specifically illegal?

Don't think it is technically illegal but purely just bad driving and also frowned upon in the highway code. In neutral fuel is being used to keep the engine ticking over. In gear the ECU cuts off the fuel and the drive force of the wheels keeps the engine turning using no fuel.

JRW, just drive on sidelights and use your horn then you can remove your brakelight, foglight and headlight bulbs and remove any chance of causing discomfort to others :thumbup:

Oh yes sorry you are a hypocrite aren't you :clap: ....moaning at me for flashing someone who has pulled out on me 'causing discomfort'....yet you think its ok to sit there in traffic with the footbrake on.

....think its about time you read the highway code... :smirk:

Wow, a Briskoda first, JRW posts without referring to or quoting from the highway code.

Oh...

...where's that troll spray gone...

....Anyway back on topic. :dull:

Edited by jrw

...all your posts seem to be just contradicting what everyone else says and only your opinion matters... :dull:

I always read your posts with interest, not for their usefulness but the way in which the vast majority of them insult other posters.

My favorite was the one where you poked fun at a fellow member’s illiteracy.

Seems I got off lightly, calling me a hypocrite and a troll for daring to suggest it might be OK to sit in traffic with my brakes on.

I always read your posts with interest, not for their usefulness but the way in which the vast majority of them insult other posters.

My favorite was the one where you poked fun at a fellow member’s illiteracy.

Seems I got off lightly, calling me a hypocrite and a troll for daring to suggest it might be OK to sit in traffic with my brakes on.

Well i wasn't going to rise to your comments but posting fallacies about me just isn't on.

Vast majority....care to elaborate? I always try to help people on threads or join in with banter (lol with the TSI/CR debate for example), i never insult people. I didn't poke fun at his illiteracy, i just commented that i couldn't make head nor tail of it...glad my posts stick in your memory so much and that i have a follower!

....I find most of your posts condescending ...self righteous springs to mind...

You didn't suggest that it was ok to sit with brakes on, you slated Simbo for complaining about it, then proceeded to make out that nobody should complain about people leaving the footbrake on because you don't get dazzled.

But then again i suppose you don't get upset by any road users (as your favourite comment seems to be 'i don't get upset by it' or 'i don't let it upset me') and you are a perfect driver.

Brake lights do dazzle and cause discomfort....leaving a gap makes no difference, the handbrake is there for a reason so use it!

Just thought I'd put my popcorn down for a moment :p

Not many people on a car forum, or any other forum come to that, will take kindly to being told what to do by another member, even it is in the highway code

Just my 2p worth B)

Just thought I'd put my popcorn down for a moment :p

Not many people on a car forum, or any other forum come to that, will take kindly to being told what to do by another member, even it is in the highway code

Just my 2p worth B)

Didn't mean it to come over like i was telling somebody, just stating that the handbrake is there for a reason!!

Didn't mean it to come over like i was telling somebody, just stating that the handbrake is there for a reason!!

Must have been my misinterpretation of the words (and exclamation mark) "so use it!" then :dull:

Edited by Brimma