New to DSG

JRW, you clearly have a problem with me / my posts.

I didn't slate Simbo, take another look at his post then mine and tell me which one was full of expletives.

We've already ruined this post with tit for tat nit picking finished off nicely with your unpleasant and offensive name calling.

I deliberately avoid threads you've posted in, please do the decent thing and learn to ignore me like I do you.

gprindy, please accept my apologies for taking over your thread.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello

I can definately discern a change in engine note between foot on brake when in "D" compared to foot on brake or handbrake on when in "N".

So something is going on.

If I know I'm going to be stationary for more than say 10 seconds I put it into "N".

Biggest nuisance with handbrake is when jumbo box lid is fully slid forwards.

JRW, you clearly have a problem with me / my posts.

I didn't slate Simbo, take another look at his post then mine and tell me which one was full of expletives.

We've already ruined this post with tit for tat nit picking finished off nicely with your unpleasant and offensive name calling.

I deliberately avoid threads you've posted in, please do the decent thing and learn to ignore me like I do you.

gprindy, please accept my apologies for taking over your thread.

I don't have a problem at all....It is a public forum and everyone is entitled to an opinion....seems that you have a problem if you are actively ignore threads i have posted in. I suggest that if you have a problem you take it to PM instead of insulting me and posting false info about me on a public forum.

FWIW you did pretty much insult Simbo about his eyesight so perhaps you look at your own posts before dissecting everyone elses.

...and again 'unpleasant and offensive name calling', would you care to elaborate?

Hello

I can definately discern a change in engine note between foot on brake when in "D" compared to foot on brake or handbrake on when in "N".

So something is going on.

If I know I'm going to be stationary for more than say 10 seconds I put it into "N".

Biggest nuisance with handbrake is when jumbo box lid is fully slid forwards.

There is a change in the note but something has to be disengaged as the car doesn't try and pull (same if you put it into launch control mode - you car rev to 2k and the clutch is disengaged).

My handbrake only comes up 3 clicks so just misses the armrest :thumbup:

I don't think my diesel dsg has launch control. I tried the technique but it felt awful, I thought something was going to blow up !

Is it a FL? Mine has....When in D depress the brake, slip to S, turn off ESP, left foot on brake then apply the throttle. You can floor it and it will limit at 2k on the diesel. The car will not pull at all until you release the brake and will just sound/feel like you are revving it in neutral.

I have only tried it a few times but a couple of times i have experienced it trying to pull etc. I think that also the engine has to be fully warmed up for it to work...perhaps the ECU has some requirements that need to be met for it to work. It is good when it works though :thumbup:

Hmm, I am confused, probably over cautious.

Yes my revvs were limited, it sounded like clutch slip and I chickened out.

Not the kind of thing to try out in town and rush hour.

I bet the next time I try it Plod will be behind me ;)

Getting a bit old to be half nelson-ed into the back of a jam sandwich with the child locks on ! :giggle:

My car is a 2010 FL Mk2 CR170 DSG vRS.

Hmm, I am confused, probably over cautious.

Yes my revvs were limited, it sounded like clutch slip and I chickened out.

Not the kind of thing to try out in town and rush hour.

I bet the next time I try it Plod will be behind me ;)

Getting a bit old to be half nelson-ed into the back of a jam sandwich with the child locks on ! :giggle:

My car is a 2010 FL Mk2 CR170 DSG vRS.

Same as mine so should be on there. You will no instantly if its worked as it will free rev just like you are in neutral. Yes its rare to get the chance to use it, but good fun when you do ;)

Same as mine so should be on there. You will no instantly if its worked as it will free rev just like you are in neutral. Yes its rare to get the chance to use it, but good fun when you do ;)

My experience is like the film title "Failure to Launch" :rofl:

Is it a FL? Mine has....When in D depress the brake, slip to S, turn off ESP, left foot on brake then apply the throttle. You can floor it and it will limit at 2k on the diesel. The car will not pull at all until you release the brake and will just sound/feel like you are revving it in neutral.

I have only tried it a few times but a couple of times i have experienced it trying to pull etc. I think that also the engine has to be fully warmed up for it to work...perhaps the ECU has some requirements that need to be met for it to work. It is good when it works though :thumbup:

No doubt the way you describe is the best way for a quick start but is it really a specific launch control feature?

Most modern engines have limiters to prevent over-revving in neutral so surely all you are doing is giving it "maximum" revs and dumping the clutch by removing your foot from the brake. Turning off ESP then ensures that the traction control doesn't spoil the party by limiting engine power to stop wheel spin while use of "S" uses maximum revs for maximum acceleration.

Not a true launch control but rather the best method.

Edited by eccleshill

There is a change in the note but something has to be disengaged as the car doesn't try and pull (same if you put it into launch control mode - you car rev to 2k and the clutch is disengaged).

There is a difference between the wet clutch 6 speed and the dry clutch 7 speed in this regard.

The change in engine note is caused by oil drag in the clutch increasing the load on the engine.

With the 7 speed dry clutch there is absolutely no change when shifting from neutral or P into R or D. Just as when you select 1st from neutral in a manual - dry clutch = no drag.

To get back to the original question :giggle:

Even though there is no drag with the 7 speed I select neutral and apply the handbrake if I am going to be stopped for more than a few seconds. Mainly because it gives my right foot a rest and to avoid daz... NO lets not start that again :rofl::rofl:

But if I am at the back of a queue on a fast road then I keep my foot on the brake and an eye in the mirror to warn others approaching - but just until it is obvious that the guy behind has realised we are stopped.

Well i think that the question has been well and truly answered, the highway code states/recommends that you apply your handbrake if stopped/stationary for more than a few seconds. Personally people who sit with their brake lights on are damned annoying, but that is a personal thing with me. :smirk:

No doubt the way you describe is the best way for a quick start but is it really a specific launch control feature?

Most modern engines have limiters to prevent over-revving in neutral so surely all you are doing is giving it "maximum" revs and dumping the clutch by removing your foot from the brake. Turning off ESP then ensures that the traction control doesn't spoil the party by limiting engine power to stop wheel spin while use of "S" uses maximum revs for maximum acceleration.

Not a true launch control but rather the best method.

It is a launch control feature because it will only do that in S with the traction off and the brake applied. Try it in drive and you will probably explode the clutch!

What other type of launch control is there?!

it also gets on my tits when someone will sit in front of me at night in traffic with their brake lights on, modern brake lights a damn bright.

Get them back with crap after market, badly adjusted, multi colour, anti-aircraft searchlight HIDS !

I was behing a Volvo oil del truck tother morning.

He braked, indicated and applied his hazards.

Due to oncoming traffic I had to sit behind him (& not close behind btw) for a wheen of minutes.

My eyes were fried, his LED lights were phenomanally eye hurtingly BRIGHT.

Edited by dieseldogg

I have inadvertently stumbled across a rich vein of unbridled loathing. I am going to start using my handbrake before someone feels the urge to torture me for stopping at a traffic light (which btw are also too bright nowadays)