Fabia 1.2 HTP (70) latest mpg

horkin

Went to Bradford today 200 mile round trip mainly motorway. Kept speed at just below 60mph and got a reading on OBC of 51.8 MPG. Thought keeping speed down might be a chore but found it very relaxing while making good steady progress.Same trip at 70 (ish)mph a couple of weeks back returned a reading of 38.8MPG. I did use Redex as recommended by Estate Man so whether that contributed , not sure but it seems this little car requires a gentle right foot if you want the economy. My engine has now covered approx 15200 miles. :thumbup:

Edited by horkin

Its not so much light on the throttle as speed related, like you if I keep her just at 60 I can get those figures and if you push to 70 I find it drops to around low 40s. Only get below 40 if Im pushing hard though. Dont forget, the OBC is optomistic too, it overreads on mine by 3 or 4 mpg :thumbdown:

Its not so much light on the throttle as speed related, like you if I keep her just at 60 I can get those figures and if you push to 70 I find it drops to around low 40s. Only get below 40 if Im pushing hard though. Dont forget, the OBC is optomistic too, it overreads on mine by 3 or 4 mpg :thumbdown:

Yes the OBC is only a guide, that's why I said I got a reading rather than I got that mileage!! Just wonder how you can say the OBC over reads by 3-4 mpg. Is there some scientific reason this should be so and would all cars be exactly the same. I mean, where do you get that figure?.

My apologies mate...I really should read the posts better. :S You say "it over reads ON MINE " quite clearly. I have never really checked mine on a full to empty tank so can't say what mine does exactly.

Edited by horkin

The obc over reads significantly, I have yet to read a post yet that states that the op is getting better mileage than the computer.

Computer:

Distance travelled 3760 miles

Car running time 89 hrs, 52 mins

Average speed 42 mph

Fuel consumption 51.5 mpg

Actual:

Litres used 403.47

Gallons 88.75

fuel consumption 42.36 mpg

Taken over 10 days from my mk1 vRS for example.

Went to Bradford today 200 mile round trip mainly motorway. Kept speed at just below 60mph and got a reading on OBC of 51.8 MPG. Thought keeping speed down might be a chore but found it very relaxing while making good steady progress.Same trip at 70 (ish)mph a couple of weeks back returned a reading of 38.8MPG. I did use Redex as recommended by Estate Man so whether that contributed , not sure but it seems this little car requires a gentle right foot if you want the economy. My engine has now covered approx 15200 miles. :thumbup:

Have just completed 14000 Kms (8400 miles) over 3 years, mostly short journeys and the remainder over fairly hilly roads and our long term figure is 39.6 mpg, pretty good really for the type of driving. Its a very sweet little engine, no problems to date so should see me out!!

The obc over reads significantly, I have yet to read a post yet that states that the op is getting better mileage than the computer.

Computer:

Distance travelled 3760 miles

Car running time 89 hrs, 52 mins

Average speed 42 mph

Fuel consumption 51.5 mpg

Actual:

Litres used 403.47

Gallons 88.75

fuel consumption 42.36 mpg

Taken over 10 days from my mk1 vRS for example.

Hi PP yes as I stated the figures given are from the OBC and I haven't seen a post where anyone claims that to be correct. How are you calculating your ACTUAL figure? are you running the tank empty or relying on the fuel gauge to be accurate? I can understand it is possible to check the amount of fuel you put in but at some point it seems you simply have to rely on your digital readouts unless you go from empty to empty??

As for my OP it is intended purely as 'reading' for those with this engine or thinking of getting one based on my own likes of being able to read about these things :giggle: The technicallities off whether this is 100% correct information never entered my head. One thing I can say for certain is that MY OBC shows I get 13mpg better at 58mph than I do at 70mph but I'm not claiming that as gospel either :rofl:

Edited by horkin

I can understand it is possible to check the amount of fuel you put in but at some point it seems you simply have to rely on your digital readouts unless you go from empty to empty??

I use an app on my phone, when I fill up I input the ODO reading, litres of fuel purchased and price. Once you have done this twice you get an MPG reading (and lots of other calc's). As you add more data you can see the record, get monthly usage/costs etc. I haven't filled up a full tank since the last thread so no update yet on my heavy urban HTP Millers experiment B) .

Edited by cb83

I use an app on my phone, when I fill up I input the ODO reading, litres of fuel purchased and price. Once you have done this twice you get an MPG reading (and lots of other calc's). As you add more data you can see the record, get monthly usage/costs etc. I haven't filled up a full tank since the last thread so no update yet on my heavy urban HTP Millers experiment B) .

Now that is indeed cool B) Far too technical for an old git like me who's still strugglin to use a basic mobile phone!. Yes I can see that sort of approach will indeed give a good guide. Wondered how it was done! I'll just be guided by you guys..keep us posted :thumbup:

Now that is indeed cool B) Far too technical for an old git like me who's still strugglin to use a basic mobile phone!. Yes I can see that sort of approach will indeed give a good guide. Wondered how it was done! I'll just be guided by you guys..keep us posted :thumbup:

• Old Git...aged 9 mentally!

Steady Horkin...there's not room for two old gits on here!!! :giggle:

First of all sorry you had to come to Bradford. I am looking to get one of the newer 1.2 70 engine in a year or so, I had a Fabia I 1.2 HTP 68 and I loved it. What is your car like on the Motorway to keep up with other cars?.

First of all sorry you had to come to Bradford. I am looking to get one of the newer 1.2 70 engine in a year or so, I had a Fabia I 1.2 HTP 68 and I loved it. What is your car like on the Motorway to keep up with other cars?.

Hi Bradfordfabia. Haha don't apologise, I was born in Bradford, brought up in Keighley and surrounding villages and retired to Lincs 10 years ago. Still have family around there which we visit on occasions. :giggle: If you've read my posts you'll have gathered the speed you drive on the motorway does affect fuel consumption. I find though that the car is very happy up to 80 mph and I haven't had it over 82 mph as I do tend to be law abiding :giggle: . Keeping up with a BMW in the outside lane might be a problem but I can assure you that passing slower traffic, wagons and the like is a breeze. The car is fine on the motorway and is very sturdy and comfortable without too much noise intrusion. I came from a BMW 528 and I love this little car. :thumbup::thumbup:

Just notice your profile shows you have a 1.9 TDI Elegance. I had the same model in Estate guise and loved it. Still I like the Mk 11 fabia better as it's lighter, more responsive and just feels more modern in my view.

Edited by horkin

Hi Bradfordfabia. Haha don't apologise, I was born in Bradford, brought up in Keighley and surrounding villages and retired to Lincs 10 years ago. Still have family around there which we visit on occasions. :giggle: If you've read my posts you'll have gathered the speed you drive on the motorway does affect fuel consumption. I find though that the car is very happy up to 80 mph and I haven't had it over 82 mph as I do tend to be law abiding :giggle: . Keeping up with a BMW in the outside lane might be a problem but I can assure you that passing slower traffic, wagons and the like is a breeze. The car is fine on the motorway and is very sturdy and comfortable without too much noise intrusion. I came from a BMW 528 and I love this little car. :thumbup::thumbup:

Just notice your profile shows you have a 1.9 TDI Elegance. I had the same model in Estate guise and loved it. Still I like the Mk 11 fabia better as it's lighter, more responsive and just feels more modern in my view.

I have got the Estate version, love it but next time a smaller car with a smaller engine.

I have got the Estate version, love it but next time a smaller car with a smaller engine.

You might lose a few toys depending which model and certainly the big 1.9 TDI is a very good engine but you'll gain a modern, very light responsive little car. Also you won't need to keep checking the rear doors for water ingress and then there's no cambelt issue on the 1.2 (70). I miss the cruise control on the motorway but most of my drive is short distance anyway. :thumbup:

You might lose a few toys depending which model and certainly the big 1.9 TDI is a very good engine but you'll gain a modern, very light responsive little car. Also you won't need to keep checking the rear doors for water ingress and then there's no cambelt issue on the 1.2 (70). I miss the cruise control on the motorway but most of my drive is short distance anyway. :thumbup:

Looking to get a Elegance 1.2, I don't want to lose the toys I have got now. The cost of cambelts is also a factor for getting this engine.

Edited by bradfordfabia

Looking to get a Elegance 1.2, I don't want to lose the toys I have got now. The cost of cambelts is also a factor for getting this engine.

Not many Elegance HTP 70 around. Seems most people ordered the Elegance spec in Tsi models but then you have the cambelt again. I assume you'd be looking at 'used' and I know you said in about 12 months but I looked on Autotrader and theres only one for sale in "Elegance" but there may be a few more when you are ready.Anyway, have fun and let's know how you get on if you do go for it :thumbup:

Not many Elegance HTP 70 around. Seems most people ordered the Elegance spec in Tsi models but then you have the cambelt again. I assume you'd be looking at 'used' and I know you said in about 12 months but I looked on Autotrader and theres only one for sale in "Elegance" but there may be a few more when you are ready.Anyway, have fun and let's know how you get on if you do go for it :thumbup:

The Tsi engine cam is chain driven, so no cam belt issues.