Brake pads

Afternoon all,

Just picked my car up after it's M.O.T, and there is an advisory for front brake pads. Which pads would you lot reccomend? The car has standard brakes on but has been remapped so something that will put up with quick driving at times with plenty of bite.

Thanks

P.S, Yes I have looked on search for other topics.

What you after?

Normal driving and fast road I find £30 oem fine. Fast road/track usage look at competition pads from the likes of ferodo and pagid. Price around £130 to £200 with super dot 4 brake fluid.

Edited by faboka vrs

As brakes are standard I would say use standard brake pads, they are cheap enough, even using a brand name.

Myself, I use what's cheapest on E-Bay, Mintex or Bosch about £12 - £13.00, but please note,

(these do not have anti-squeal shims supplied, just new bolts) unless supplied from Skoda, and pay double and have the anti-squeal shims too.

My original front brake pads were 'FERODO 4307' when car was new.

Edited by giandougl

My newish EBC greenstuff pads have anti-squeal shims, edge chamfers, and "bed in" coating!! Plus they can cope with temp. upto 600degC !! This has just come is usefull as I've just had a front piston stick on me doing 60mph on the back roads!! The heat and smell :giggle: oopps!!! Tracked it down to the old stiff piston seal!! Mind you they are the originals, now 10yr old!! Discs not warped, and pads just needed a bit of sandpapering, double checked with EBC, all ok!!

Mintex, Ferodo or Skoda pads. Although I use EBC Greenstuff all round with no problems.

Don't uses Ferodo DS2500 pads as I think they are not technically road legal, plus they are very expensive.

Edited by Jim H

Correct about ds2500 and ds3000. Ds2000 can be used but I found they overheated on a good run or track usage.

Pagid's competition pads are legal but cost close to £200.

Did you ever overheat your old pads? If not why change?

Just decided to go for Mintex, I was looking at the Ferodos' etc but I can't really justify £150 for track spec pads that aren't going to be used to half of their potential....

Plus it seems the Mintex get good reviews other than the squeling.

Thanks for the replies everyone

• 2 weeks later...

Just done a front Disc and Pad change on my vrs as it had ****ty kwickfit D+P fitted.

I went for a Genuine set from TPS and they are perfect for normal road use, the lot cost me £85 Pads were £35

I would always go for the genuine replacments unless your using the car on the track or whatever.

Just done a front Disc and Pad change on my vrs as it had ****ty kwickfit D+P fitted.

I went for a Genuine set from TPS and they are perfect for normal road use, the lot cost me £85 Pads were £35

I would always go for the genuine replacments unless your using the car on the track or whatever.

Yeh, OEM is fine, it's just I can get Mintex for half the price and they are just as good if not slightly better. :yes:

Personally I went for the OEM ones from a Stealer - cost me just short of £30 each way. There still ferodo and haven't had any problems with them - and yes they came with the anti-squeal stick pads.