Have you got a boost surge after a re-map?

Yep this has been the case at least once. Here is a list in order of maps installed and issues:

1st Performance map but can't say 100% where it came from - major surging.

2nd More-bhp map - no detectable surging compared to map 1.

3rd factory map - no detectable surging, but this map feels flat :D

4th Shark map - no detectable surging compared to map 1.

So can I please clarify, you did have surging originally, you went to a different map with no surging and now you're on our map with no surging too?

So can I please clarify, you did have surging originally, you went to a different map with no surging and now you're on our map with no surging too?

Correct, but.

Done 380miles on your map so far. 120 on 95RON, remainder on Tesco 99RON.

If surging is there it is certainly not as noticable as on map 1, which just felt bad.

1st map went something like this:

Loads of initial grunt then engine power dies off around 3500rpm, then it picked back up only to die again around 4700rpm, then picked up to the limiter.

I need to take the car out again with my 'engine map review hat' on and note what I feel. I could always drag out the girlfriend and do some data logging ;)

Correct, but.

Done 380miles on your map so far. 120 on 95RON, remainder on Tesco 99RON.

If surging is there it is certainly not as noticable as on map 1, which just felt bad.

1st map went something like this:

Loads of initial grunt then engine power dies off around 3500rpm, then it picked back up only to die again around 4700rpm, then picked up to the limiter.

I need to take the car out again with my 'engine map review hat' on and note what I feel. I could always drag out the girlfriend and do some data logging ;)

Interesting, what year is your Octavia?

Interesting to see Shroud, you have the N249 bypass etc.

Yes, did this before the map, so sadly have no before and after to compare. Shark also mapped out the annoying EML after removing the secondary air pump, which was something he did as part of the map (which incidentally i think is a first class gesture), as i would have expected a tuner to want to charge extra for this. :thumbup:

TBH i wondered whether the removal of the SAI, N249, etc was part of the cause until i found this thread.

Yes, did this before the map, so sadly have no before and after to compare. Shark also mapped out the annoying EML after removing the secondary air pump, which was something he did as part of the map (which incidentally i think is a first class gesture), as i would have expected a tuner to want to charge extra for this. :thumbup:

TBH i wondered whether the removal of the SAI, N249, etc was part of the cause until i found this thread.

No mine has all this still fitted, it was suggested to remove this as a cure but clearly thats not going to work then :thumbup:

3 - 3rd gear runs from 2K rpm to 6K rpm & a 4th gear until I got scared ;)

I only really feel it in mine in 4th and certainly 5th....take it out on a dual carriageway and do a 70-90+ test in top gear. If you have the issue thats where you'll really feel it imo

I only really feel it in mine in 4th and certainly 5th....take it out on a dual carriageway and do a 70-90+ test in top gear. If you have the issue thats where you'll really feel it imo

Yup thats where mine is most noticeable aswell.

Mine is as per Higgy69

Not so sure about 4th and 5th gear issue. My journeys haven't really involved much 4th or 5th gear driving with hard acceleration.

does Mikko ever come to the UK? Surely you need to get him over here with an affected car to have a look? He's the expert? Seems to be a lot of "thinking out loud" going on here and fair play to Ben for backing his corner.

The surging must be a real joy killer so I can see why people are pushing for a resolution.

Mine is as per Higgy69

Not so sure about 4th and 5th gear issue. My journeys haven't really involved much 4th or 5th gear driving with hard acceleration.

Higgy69 was talking about his old map, not ours

does Mikko ever come to the UK? Surely you need to get him over here with an affected car to have a look? He's the expert? Seems to be a lot of "thinking out loud" going on here and fair play to Ben for backing his corner.

The surging must be a real joy killer so I can see why people are pushing for a resolution.

Yep pretty often but Mikko and I work very effectively regardless of whether he's here or not.

It's obviously worth thinking about, nothing to lose.

Higgy69 was talking about his old map, not ours

ok, but what Higgy69 describes is the closest match to what i have experienced. I may also have the 4th/ 5th gear issue, but haven't really tested that.

Does that change anything then?

I will try and test tomorrow and add a report back, hopefully it will shed some more light, although ideally the car probably needs to be run by someone who is a tuner themselves or has a Shark S1 map to see how it compares. Not that easy to arrange though, but open to suggestions. (I haven't really got the time to be travelling around though at the moment).

Out of interest i'll be getting my coil packs checked and replaced soon and they are all 'L's. I'm sure this will make no difference, but i suppose it is worth sharing as much info as poss if it helps.

Ben, do you want me to come down there tomorrow? Would it offer any benefit? It's a yellow 52 plate BTW. I was the one you had to wipe the APR map from and I worked at Maplin :D

Tank is currently full of 95 RON though, if that will be a problem?